• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

General Language App Drama

61 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Since some people mentioned they want this thread I decided to give it a go. Sorry, for any mistakes I haven't created a thread before! :alpacaworry:

A Thread for all the crazy nonsense that happens on language sites/apps, because even places to learn languages aren't safe from weebs/koreaboos and their drama. 

99995555.thumb.gif.d645dcdd14558ccbdafdc

Sites/Apps (I'll add more as they come up)

• HelloTalk  (Full of Weebs, Koreaboos, and really creepy dudes. What else do you expect when you have the language learning equivalent of Facebook?)
  • InterPals (Sort of like an Internet Penpal site, but naturally it draws a lot of Weebs and Koreaboos since it offers the ability to talk one on one with whatever race they're obsessed with)
  • HiNative (Not a lot of drama here from what I know, but as a Q&A site between learners it has it's fair share of Weebs and Koreaboos.)
  • The Polyglot Club (A website similar to Hellotalk where learners can tutor/teach each other and probably for Weebs and Koreaboos to stalk their oppa/senpai) 
  • Lang-8 (Focused mainly on writing/reading in the language and the ideal place for this kind of stuff to go down.) 
  • Hellopal (Another social/chatting with native speaker app which ultimately draws all the Weebs/Koreaboos to the yard)
  • Doongle (A social app popular with Kboos and creepy Korean guys)
  • MEEFF (Literally the abomination of HelloTalk and Tinder...I can't with this one...) 

Edited by Basicbitch
Adding stuff

Posted

Do you have any examples of the drama? 

Posted

I think I shared my story on these apps on Anna's thread but I'll posted them again.

Doongle: I tried Doongle out of curiosity once and I met this Korean dude who says he's in the army. He said currently there's cherry blossom in Korea so I told him to send some pics. And believe it or not, this dude send me a friggin nude pic of himself with his little thing showing. The thing is I'm 17 when I used that app and I already told him I'm underage so... :beardo:

HelloTalk: This story comes from my friend who used to be very active in HelloTalk's Korean section. There was this black girl and korean boy couple that met each other in HelloTalk and decided to date. My friend said that a lot of users ship them and really like them together. The girl would posted in her bf's account and they were acting realllly sweet in HelloTalk. But then suddenly the girl somehow found out that her bf cheated on her with someone irl. The black girl went crazy, start bashing the guy  a lot and she also asked her friends in HelloTalk to bash this guy as well. Basically their posts were all over the app and my friend said it was a huge friggin mess. A lot of people were uncomfortable because they don't want to be involved in their fight lmao.

I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate because my friend said this was years ago and she only remembers some detail. Anyway, still a huge mess lol the Korean section seems to always have drama.

Oh and btw... y'all forget Hellopal. It's similar to HelloTalk and there's TONS of kboos lurking there too. I used it once out of curiousity again lmao around three to two years ago. All the white girls that get a Korean / Chinese / Japanese bf from there will flaunt all over the place and posted some cringey ass stuff like "I finally get my oppa"... 

There's also another incident. Another Korean dude message me saying that he wants to learn some basic Chinese because he'll be going to China for vacation very soon. So I taught him basic stuff like what to say when you're in a Taxi or how to order food in restaurants. At first he told me we're the same age (17) so yeah I didn't feel like something was off. Then he asked me if we could video call so I can show him how to pronounce Chinese correctly and I agree because I'm stupid as hell ugh  

The fucked up part is he's actually 30 sth. I asked him why did he lied and the dude said he just wanted to learn Chinese with me. After I ended the call I told him he could easily find someone around his age in the app to teach him Chinese. Then he send me a nude pic of himself... and asked me if he looked good so yeah I blocked him too.

I just gave up on language learning app in general :alpacadone:

Posted (edited)

@Basicbitch you should definitely add Doongle !! ;) so many koreaboos on there and old ass korean men trying to get with them omfg 

Edited by zaynkai

Posted

I'm on HiNative and I haven't seen much drama yet, just a lot of cringe. Especially because I have japanese as a language of my interest in that app, i see a lot of weeaboo questions that are out of place (at least i think it's out of place on an app that's for learning languages). I also have a few european languages of interest since i'm european myself and I'll help others out. That's why i also see a lot of japanese users asking german questions etc, especially since a lot of anime got german or generally european words in it. Some japanese users will try to flirt with me just because I'm answering their anime questions about german words so that's kind of equally cringey to me.

Posted

I started using Penpal to find some spanish speaking friends and created the account while at work. I went online a while later and had 100+ messages on there with 98 of them being from men.. It's really annoying how so many fetishizers and horny dudes use those language apps as dating apps 😑

In the korean section of HiNative you can always find those cringy koreaboo question where you exactly know that's a sentence from a convo with a dude that they want to get translated lmao 

Posted

@Zaynkai and @Leaan thanks for the additional apps. I've added them to the summary! ;)(I downloaded them and I'm cringing so hard. The amount of "oops, a close up of my boobs lol" posts are outrageous.UGH) 

Do you have any examples of the drama? 

Hmm, as far as receipts go not really, I didn't think to screencap anything at the time. :( Personal experience-wise there was an issue in the Japanese section of Hellotalk because some English speaking dude was harassing a Japanese woman sayin things like "You're so slim and pretty!", etc. or things like "I'll crash at your place when I visit Japan" and of course when she said "No, I don't have a second bed." he came back with "I'll just sleep in yours then! ;)" she didn't seem to get it and he wouldn't stop messaging her even though she didn't like him. Everyone basically told her to block him and report him cause the dude gave off mad creeper vibes, but she never named names.

I've also gotten a few creepy guys texting me and saying I'm pretty or whatever (which is a laugh because I don't have any pictures of myself on my account) and I've stumbled across a few people using pics of Japanese girls pulled from twitter to catfish people, but the Japanese section is pretty quiet.

Posted (edited)

When I first got hellotalk about a week ago (before I shut off all my settings) I was averaging 100 messages a day at least (see screenshot of inbox after less than 3 days). I felt guilty about not replying and apologised in my description/in posts but clearly some of them were not there to learn.. I'm English-->Spanish(advanced) and Korean(beginner) and maybe 95% of my messages were from men. Probably 80% from Latin America too. I complained to admin because its impossible to make language partners when that many people are messaging you. It was such a mess and really not very helpful but I did manage to make a couple of friends that aren't too creepy to swap languages with but they are still wanting to meet up e.t.c at some point. A few girls I've spoken to have had this problem but not nearly to the same extent as me, I have no idea why that is either since you cant even enlarge the tiny avatar thingy. A lot of Korean guys get targeted by girls searching for their oppas. There are a lot of descriptions saying they dont want a girlfriend e.t.c or complaining through posts (see screenshot) (though I'm sure a few of the ones that complain wouldn't mind if the girl was pretty enough lol). I kinda worry if people think I'm one of them. Might change my avatar to a cartoon or something. 

I'll share the drama from the hellotalk korean section I posted in another thread: Damn I wish I'd taken screenshots sorry if this is derailing the the thread but basically what started it was this girl posted some screenshots of a message she'd received saying something along the lines of ''You're so pretty. Can you tell me about plastic surgery in Korea? How much did it cost I want to look just like you." And the girl complained it was inappropriate and she's had similiar messages before. She exposed the avatar e.t.c and this american girl came to defend herself in the comments and had apparently threatened the Korean girl to report her for slander laws or something. Anyway, turns out the OP wasn't Korean, didn't speak any Korean either and was catfishing using some instagram model's pictures. (I wouldn't be surprised if the model is in the Gangnam unnies section either. She might have had surgery tbf but edits the heck out of all her pictures) So people were calling her out saying really inventive and totally unironic things like 'get lost Koreaboo' e.t.c and she's going 'say what you want about me I gonna keep doing this'. So yeah 3 days in it was super enlightening really.. I don't know how but IllI be trying to avoid all of these people :')*

IMG_20180829_190059_313.jpg

IMG_20180829_190146_463.jpg

Edited by mynameisseersha
Spelling sorry x

Posted

The amount of people that try to use language learning apps as dating apps is actually infuriating. Maybe OT bc not koreaboo/weeb related but I was trying to find someone to practice Dutch with on Hellotalk and was talking to this guy for a few days in English (awkward basic stuff like hello, how's it going, how old are you, etc) and then asked him where in the Netherlands he was from and he said he wasn't from there and doesn't speak the language he just thinks it's a cool country. Like???? What was the point of this whole convo then??? I didn't even have a pic of me on my account or anything my profile pic was of my dog. Deleted the app after that bc I was so pissed off. The thirst of some of these people is real lol 

Posted

MEEFF have a lot of creepy, horny Korean men on there and a lot of koreaboos, too. I had to delete the app after Korean men keep being perverts after many times I told them I'm not interested and mentioning I'm underage. 

Posted

MEEFF have a lot of creepy, horny Korean men on there and a lot of koreaboos, too. I had to delete the app after Korean men keep being perverts after many times I told them I'm not interested and mentioning I'm underage. 

MEEFF is like the worst app of them all hands down 

Posted

I've seen people who are obviously not Korean, pretending to be Korean on hellotalk while not knowing any Korean and saying "exo oppas" when they're apparently a dude lol. I'll come back with screenshots if I can find them

Posted (edited)

Doongle has been the WORST app I've used so far. I tried using it for a while but it was just as bad as HelloTalk (full of creepy Korean men and thirsty koreaboo girls) except everyone was twice as horny lmao

Edited by lei

Posted

I go through periods of active and inactive use on HelloTalk (Japanese section). I like it because people can immediately correct what you've written. I even met a good male friend 3 years ago and we still talk and hang out irl. 

What I do see in terms of drama is Westerners commenting rude and ignorant garbage on the statuses of Japanese people. Or a pretty girl will post a status about anything and white guys will come out of their caves and write creepy, desperate comments. 

The worst I've experienced is when a Japanese person talked about Japan's strict gun policy and how America may benefit from some changes to its regulations. This was after another mass shooting months ago and a bunch of gross ass gun rights activists began belittling the OP and anyone who agreed with him. I blocked them because they taunted me after I said that hopefully American laws would change because too many children have died. One was really trying to flex his Japanese by using some heavy, obnoxious dialect, even to me when I'm clearly also an English speaking American. I haven't had any issues with Japanese users. 

Posted (edited)

MEEFF is like the worst app of them all hands down 

:darth: Ugh. This app. I literally only matched with 30 year old dudes (I'm a twenty four year old woman) and this guy (who is apparently a cosplayers but his self created fanpage has no fans so...) 

Screenshot_2018-08-29-18-09-42.png

(I forgot my app is on Japanese setting, so he says he's a native speaker of English, Portuguese, advanced in Japanese, and intermediate in Korean.)

Edited by Basicbitch