• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

sacheu/Sarah Cheung

389 posts in this topic

Posted

lol she did a smokey eye im cackling 

THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF SMOKEY EYE LOOKS ALREADY ON YOUTUBE! Also it actually doesn't look much diff from her Euphoria vid bc they're both black eye looks

Posted

Hot take: Sarah was never good at makeup and relies more on having good skin / all the treatments she gets for “self care” purposes. She literally always looks the same and I think the only valuable information she has is product quality and who knows how honest that is lol 

Posted

Hot take: Sarah was never good at makeup and relies more on having good skin / all the treatments she gets for “self care” purposes. She literally always looks the same and I think the only valuable information she has is product quality and who knows how honest that is lol 

I think ur kinda right. If you have nice skin and a conventionally pretty face, the makeup already looks fine on you that's why nothing she does have color or life to it. Kinda the equivalent of someone not having good or unique fashion, they just have a conventionally attractive body.

Posted (edited)

As someone who's neither skilled nor creative with makeup, I can understand why her looks are generic and bland. A little change makes her feel excited, like she's made something new. But she's a beauty youtuber, she's not gonna get anywhere if she keeps doing the same old look that millions of other youtubers have done already. The kind of makeup she does are the kind that most youtubers or maybe even makeup artists start off at... She's totally stuck.

Edited by Ube

Posted

Like Sarah pls just use a diff color that's all I want. Do a rosey pink smoked eye, or something with high shine like a halo eye, or a cut crease even. 

Posted

i wanna start by saying i agree with everyone above me because i just saw her ig post and went "ANOTHER smokey eye? really sarah??? britney spears could do better without a makeup artist" like idk.

i feel like she's been prioritizing looking like an ig baddie + dressing as one > any actual beauty guru content that's inspiring. like her boy beat is still perhaps the most interesting makeup look she's done, but it's basically a watered down version of someone paid to wear glossier so lmao. it's lost its appeal and i wish she would push for better content like maybe even an eye look based on her new pet snake? maybe something OTHER than a recreation of an already done look (kim k, euphoria, etc.) for once would be nice. i just feel like she's become super stale and reproducing the same content with a new title like if you just want your ig likes then focus on that instead of rushing to produce mediocre & repetitive content. it's just a letdown when she could be inspiring for other asians to dive into the industry more but instead she's become a cookie cutter ig girl that uses facetune like every other non-trained "make up artist" on that site.

i feel like she was most interesting during her tumblr days + before she went full-on influencer, but i'm sure most of you here agree so.

Posted

It's a HUGE mistake for her to be going the pseudo-makeup artist/influencer route. 

I followed her 1.5-2 years ago, for these reasons:

1) Intelligence - she was in uni at the time, and I liked that she was focused on school/debate/philosophy and talked about it. Like everyone has mentioned, I thought her few philosophy videos were interesting. 

2) Natural looks - I'm talking about her makeup, specifically. I actually LOVED that she didn't do eye makeup-heavy looks because they're honestly so impractical for every day life. As someone who likes makeup as sort of an everyday thing, her looks were nice. In addition, whenever she would do more "makeup heavy" or fun looks, they were always a celeb-inspired look which I found fun and informative, even if I'd never try them. 

3) Her ex - Now, I know that she said that her relationship at the time became toxic, but I honestly thought from what she was showing us that they were a cute couple. I liked that she didn't tokenize or profit off her relationship with a trans man, and normalized it in the best way possible. 

She's ditched most of this to create rehashed, boring content that you can get from any other influencer. I'm not interested in wigs or dark makeup looks. 

Posted

i feel like a lot of beauty gurus recycle makeup looks, but the reason i don't mind them doing it is because they always offer more than just a tutorial? if u scroll down jackie aina and nikkietutorials' channel, you can see they have their comfort picks in terms of colour and style for eyeshadows but i dont mind them repeating looks bc they always gives detailed reviews of the products they use. (jackie's also rly funny imo) jackie also does that even in grwms which i really enjoy! sarah's "reviews" (if u can call it that) are limited to swatch reference and maybe a "this is pretty good" or reading info off the pr sheets

Posted

It's a HUGE mistake for her to be going the pseudo-makeup artist/influencer route. 

I followed her 1.5-2 years ago, for these reasons:

1) Intelligence - she was in uni at the time, and I liked that she was focused on school/debate/philosophy and talked about it. Like everyone has mentioned, I thought her few philosophy videos were interesting. 

2) Natural looks - I'm talking about her makeup, specifically. I actually LOVED that she didn't do eye makeup-heavy looks because they're honestly so impractical for every day life. As someone who likes makeup as sort of an everyday thing, her looks were nice. In addition, whenever she would do more "makeup heavy" or fun looks, they were always a celeb-inspired look which I found fun and informative, even if I'd never try them. 

3) Her ex - Now, I know that she said that her relationship at the time became toxic, but I honestly thought from what she was showing us that they were a cute couple. I liked that she didn't tokenize or profit off her relationship with a trans man, and normalized it in the best way possible. 

She's ditched most of this to create rehashed, boring content that you can get from any other influencer. I'm not interested in wigs or dark makeup looks. 

THISSSS. And might I add, I used to trust Sarah's reviews of skincare or makeup products, even looked forward to them. But after a while I lost interest. Her videos don't feel nearly as helpful as they used to be, or maybe that's just me... I think recently her helpful videos were her plastic surgery ones, because she gave us really good ideas on what it's like (before, during and after). But those are ironic too, since as some mentioned here before, she preaches about self-love but ended up conforming to the ig baddie image.

Posted

THISSSS. And might I add, I used to trust Sarah's reviews of skincare or makeup products, even looked forward to them. But after a while I lost interest. Her videos don't feel nearly as helpful as they used to be, or maybe that's just me... I think recently her helpful videos were her plastic surgery ones, because she gave us really good ideas on what it's like (before, during and after). But those are ironic too, since as some mentioned here before, she preaches about self-love but ended up conforming to the ig baddie image.

I think it's because she's lost some of the "real girl"-ness when she started to become a full-time influencer. 

I've mentioned this earlier in the thread, but her feed used to look like an average girl's feed -- some selfies, some pics of what she was doing, her food, etc. She just happened to have a larger following and occasionally made videos that she wanted to and found interesting. I trusted her reviews of products because ultimately she's "just like me", a college-aged woman interested in beauty and fashion. 

As soon as she started getting high-profile sponsorships is when I started to get bored of her. This isn't just because of Sarah; I'm just not interested in IG influencers in general. They're lives are picture-perfect, they are told what to like and not to like by their sponsors, and generally are very focused on their looks. You can see the difference in her feed from 2017 vs. now. Now, all she had are posed, edited, and perfect photos promoting her next video and whatever beauty product she was asked to sponsor. 

Posted

her face definitely hard carry the makeup looks she does. I think she’s beautiful and pretty decent at makeup it’s just that the looks she does aren’t really special/new so I don’t watch her vids 

Posted

lol 

Screenshot_20190918-151628_Twitter.jpg

Posted

this is actually "sarah post-breakup bingo"

Posted

Imagine being in a relationship for so long and breakup only to start dating another person right away.... exhausting