• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

sacheu/Sarah Cheung

372 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Sarah Cheung (sacheu)

Screen_Shot_2018-08-18_at_17.51.09.thumb

Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/sacheu/I YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYOvwzHL8OmCBEbBO6AdMXQI Twitter (https://twitter.com/chinesebritney)

Sarah Cheung is a YouTuber with 300k subscribers, who started out on Tumblr. She is mainly a beauty YouTuber and posts makeup tutorials and look books. In the past, she uploaded content related to BLM and philosophy but she hasn't done any of the sorts lately and focused on beauty related stuff. Sarah is pretty vocal about social/political matters and talks about them often on her instagram or twitter account. I remember a video of hers, in which she talked about how people found her beautiful because of her "mixed" features (she's 1/8 white, I believe) and she complained about how people didn't appreciate pure Asian features and that they shouldn't glorify Eurocentric beauty standards but she deleted that video after a bunch of comments called her a SJW.  

I also remember her asking for donation just when she started out on YouTube and she also got called out for that. She tried to justify her actions by explaining that since she's on a student's visa in the States, she can only work a certain amount of hours in a month. Don't think she begged for donations ever since. 

Today she uploaded a swimsuit photo on instagram with a woman in the background side-eyeing her. She uploaded several other pictures of that woman, each one zooming in on her face. She got called out on it and changed her caption first but then deleted the whole post and uploaded it again with the woman's face cropped out. Her description of the new post is "better?" lol Pretty petty imo

IMG_3014.thumb.PNG.ca377aebd3d7a0fbcab31IMG_3015.thumb.PNG.61e8f05ea3298cb7b983dIMG_3016.thumb.PNG.ac3de902662afb68390ad

I think most people got offended because she was way too petty about this and uploaded and zoomed in the pictures of that woman without her consent

I'm sure there's more drama around her but I think most of it was in the past. I actually find her very beautiful but sometimes a bit too petty lol

What are your thoughts on her?

Edited by overripeavocado

Posted

i think she's really pretty but also quite self-aware about social issues. kind of wish she did more of those philosophy type videos and delve into moral issues instead of doing purely makeup. also it shocked me that she posted on her instagram story about it.. i knew she was a little petty like everyone else but i didn't think she would do that. i'm not sure what went down exactly but i feel like she could have clarified that it was because the girl was staring at her and could have reposted it without the caption "better?" 

Posted

She's recently gotten a breast augmentation/revision in Korea. I also believe that she's gotten lip injections and CoolSculpting done before as well. I like that she's honest about her surgeries but I'm wondering how she funds a lot of her expenses since it seems like she's always away on a really nice trip somewhere. 

I think the whole picture thing was petty but it honestly seems dumb to call it out in comparison to what other social media influencers do on a daily basis to stir up drama. I think Sarah just has more of a "diva" personality than most of us average humans but I think she's really tame in the grander scheme of things. 

Posted

My guess is she can afford it through her parents, maybe some YouTube money, Etc.

she had been in boarding school / studied internationally for years and years. That should imply that her family has quite a bit of wealth that they could afford that?

I think Sarah is gorgeous and really chill. She stays in her lane and minds her own business but won’t hesitate to speak up for things she believes in

Posted

I actually just found out about her today from her video about Anti-blackness in the Asian community and when i was glancing over her other videos i feel like she a pretty cool gal! Pretty good at makeup too and i like her vlogs (well the one i've seen which is the NYC one). I don't think she had any ill will towards the woman in the photo, think she just thought the side eye was funny like i would find that hilarious too if some woman in back of my photo was giving me the side eye.

Posted (edited)

Delete

Edited by Granola

Posted

If I recall, her mom is a model and her dad is a successful photographer, who has shot/worked with Faye Wong.

I used to follow her on Tumblr and she is a very pretty and intelligent person. But I didn’t like the crowd she was with on tumblr, you know, the snobby popular asian girls like yeoja and whatnot.

Posted

I love watching Sarah’s videos! I found her thru Bii’s ‘Boy Beat’ makeup tutorial, where one of the commenters said Sarah Cheung was the first to do the boy-beat thing, so I checked out Sarah’s channel and ended up binge-watching the rest of her videos. 

It’s refreshing to see a beauty/lifestyle youtuber who’s actually got a brain. She’s chill and yet eloquent in the way she speaks, and I appreciate that she’s honest about the enhancements she’s done with her face or body. Sorry if I sound like I’m gushing but I think she’s awesome, and I’m reeeeally hoping we won’t uncover any major drama cos I would be so disappointed lol 

Posted

I was a bit surprised this was created, I've been watching her for a couple of years now and think she's so stunning and chill. I love that she doesn't mind speaking about serious topics, its refreshing in the beauty community. 

Kind of random, but I remember a mention of her professor inviting her to smoke weed with him. She shrugged it off, almost seemed proud that he maybe thought of her in a different light than her peers, but to me it sounded like he thought he'd have a chance to get with her. idk, maybe i'm being conservative and it was an innocent thing, but I get red flags from profs who do sh*t like that. 

Posted

I was mutuals with her on tumblr for a while, before she ever made a youtube channel. not close friends or anything, but we reblogged eachother’s stuff. i was excited when she made a youtube channel because i know she’s a very intelligent girl, but i lost a lot of respect for her when she started making plastic surgery/dieting videos. to me, that seems to go against her whole philosophy, and i think that sort of stuff should be age-restricted at the very least. giving your teenage audience discount codes for weight loss surgery is enough to earn an unsub me. As for her beauty content, i don’t find any of it particularly unique. She mostly just follows trends from instagram which is completely fine, but i prefer watching people with a bit more spice/creativity. Unrelated, but i believe she’s 1/4 white, not 1/8.

Posted (edited)

I was mutuals with her on tumblr for a while, before she ever made a youtube channel. not close friends or anything, but we reblogged eachother’s stuff. i was excited when she made a youtube channel because i know she’s a very intelligent girl, but i lost a lot of respect for her when she started making plastic surgery/dieting videos. to me, that seems to go against her whole philosophy, and i think that sort of stuff should be age-restricted at the very least. giving your teenage audience discount codes for weight loss surgery is enough to earn an unsub me. As for her beauty content, i don’t find any of it particularly unique. She mostly just follows trends from instagram which is completely fine, but i prefer watching people with a bit more spice/creativity. Unrelated, but i believe she’s 1/4 white, not 1/8.

I‘ll correct it to 1/4! What I find very strange is that she said in her Eurocentric beauty standards video that she is Chinese and didn‘t say anything about being White but after deleting it, she admitted she is part White? Strange. 

I do like Sarah and I don‘t think negatively about plastic surgery but I think it was pretty hypocritical when she was posting about self love and body positivity right before her procedures.

Edited by overripeavocado

Posted

I‘ll correct it to 1/4! What I find very strange is that she said in her Eurocentric beauty standards video that she is Chinese and didn‘t say anything about being White but after deleting it, she admitted she is part White? Strange. 

I do like Sarah and I don‘t think negatively about plastic surgery but I think it was pretty hypocritical when she was posting about self love and body positivity right before her procedures.

But is it really hypocritical to post about self-love and body positivity before her procedures? One thing I never understood is how people think that in order for someone to truly love themselves they must never change something or else they don't really love themselves or their body. I find it kind of weird that people don't really raise an eye towards people changing their hair, mentality, attitude, philosophy and what not. Its even commonly accepted and even encouraged. But when it comes to cosmetic surgery, it automatically (to most) means that a person does not love themselves. I think that it is pretty hard to really define the line between not loving yourself and truly loving yourself because I think everyone has varying levels of self-esteem and contentment with their looks. However, to call Sarah hypocritical for talking about self love and body positivity before her procedures as if she really doesn't love herself, would also be to call those who get contacts to change their eye color, dye to change their hair color, or spend money to change up their hair from curly to straight or vice versa also hypocritical, and ultimately ourselves. We change things all the time, but can we say that we do not love ourselves because we decide to change our natural attributes to be more pleasing? I think its impossible to quantify because no one loves themselves 100%, but we can try our best to spread body positivity and embrace that change is also natural and can even be a part of the process of loving yourself and your body.

Posted

We change things all the time, but can we say that we do not love ourselves because we decide to change our natural attributes to be more pleasing? I think its impossible to quantify because no one loves themselves 100%, but we can try our best to spread body positivity and embrace that change is also natural and can even be a part of the process of loving yourself and your body.

Changing your body to become a better version of yourself is very admirable, but when your audience is composed of very impressionable young girls, it’s a harmful projection. Sarah’s brand includes having a ‘big sister’ feeling, and so her plastic surgeries are telling teens that if you don’t like your body, you should just change it. I personally had body dismorphia in my early teens, and a big part of it stemmed from seeing unrealistic portrayals of women online.

Posted

Sarah's makeup looks are gorgeous and fresh. The Kim K sex tape look. The boy beat. The dick appointment tutorial. It's so tongue in cheek, I love it.

Some of her cosmetic work was pointless. Filler on naturally plush lips? But the way she talks about her surgeries is level-headed and classy, so I don't mind. She's grown and makes videos for a grown audience so... I don't side with the whole, pearl clutching, "think of the children!" rhetoric. 

Posted

Changing your body to become a better version of yourself is very admirable, but when your audience is composed of very impressionable young girls, it’s a harmful projection. Sarah’s brand includes having a ‘big sister’ feeling, and so her plastic surgeries are telling teens that if you don’t like your body, you should just change it. I personally had body dismorphia in my early teens, and a big part of it stemmed from seeing unrealistic portrayals of women online.

IIRC Sarah never specifically promoted plastic surgery; she just talked about her own experiences and explained why she got her surgery. I'm fully in the camp that yes, if you don't like a certain aspect of yourself, you are allowed to change it, but only if it doesn't stem for a larger insecurity about yourself as a whole. A portion of her young female audience may in the moment desire PS after seeing her, but I bet you a lot of them grow up and make healthy decisions on their own on whether they want PS. It's not Sarah's responsibility to make decisions about her own body based on other people's body dysmorphia or insecurities that she may trigger, and IMO, it would be even more harmful for her to claim that she is "all-natural" when she's not. Part of the insecurities about unrealistic portrayals stem from celebrities and models claiming to be "just like us!" and "all-natural!" when in reality, they are getting liposuction, fillers, Botox, rhinoplasty, brow lifts, crash dieting, etc. etc. etc.