• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Sakimichan

1671 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

While I'm not a fan of pinup art in general, hers included, I think she has a really nice style, and don't think there's anything particularly wrong with specializing in character pinups and sexual content. It seems to be paying her bills phenomenally. The faces are all pretty much the same it's true but at least they're aesthetically pleasing. I used to be a stickler for anatomy in my beginner artist days, but I don't think it's that big a deal if you can create a beautiful composition. It seems like people like to nitpick anatomy just to bring down successful artists. All that being said, I know her style and her name based on sheer popularity, but I don't follow her so I'd be interested to know of any specifically snowflakey behavior. Artists who do same face and have anatomy issues are everywhere, so what's so special about it other than she's e-famous?

I'm not trying to make her out to be some evil snowflake, and I at one point followed her for the same art she's making now. She used to draw other things, but once she moved to a platform that allowed her to be paid for it, she made the jump to make almost exclusively NSFW art. And before you accuse me of trying to shame her and nitpick, she's putting these out to people who are paying her to draw and teach them, and she's not correcting her own errors or at the very least acknowledge that she's made mistakes. She's been on the internet for almost a decade and of course she's e-famous, she's earned it for being a talented artist. I am well aware that there are plenty of artists who do same face, anatomy issues etc. I made this as a discussion topic, not to call her a snowflake.

Most of the anatomy errors seem to be stylistic, and minor at most. I'd like to see some examples of her not taking criticism, though. Out of curiosity, what's the problem with drawing sexualized pinups for a living?

There isn't a problem with making sexualized pin-ups for a living, I didn't say that. The issue is she's over-saturated with it when she has and still can make drawings that aren't NSFW. Then again she is being payed to do it, so hey, follow the money. The only issues that I can think of off the top of my head are her NSFW drawings of underage characters that she's aged up (Ladybug, Roxas, Yuri Plisetsky), which depending on your stance could be problematic or not when it comes to aging up characters to depict them in a sexualized manner. 

Here's the issue with criticism on her 02 and Ichigo drawing; there's over a 1000 comments arguing about the proportions being off when her average post has around 100 ~ 500. 

comments.thumb.JPG.fbd6540a9e809ad2a762d

And then she uploads a close-up of the same picture a day later and STILL is getting comments about the proportions, still not addressing the comments.

commentsreupload.thumb.JPG.a0e94c30ea1f1

She hasn't made any response to the criticism she's received and it's still up there. There's probably more, but I'll look later.

Edited by Lopunny
Added pictures, there's too many to go through on her posts so that's just a snippet

Posted

From what I've seen she seems to have a basic grasp of anatomy but I think her heavy reliance on the liquify tool says a lot about where that knowledge stops. 

She does a lot of conventional/mainstream art as in the same face pinup anime style she has going on. I used to follow her before she had her patreon, she still makes decent art but at this point it's overly repetitive and predictable. But I mean sex sells and if she's happy doing what she does good for her. 

Posted

tbh i think she should become a figurine illustrator with oc figurs. all her work looks like ecchi figurines - impossible bodies, titties defying gravity, thunder thighs and stick calves with the same face on every single neck. 

it's sad really. i feel like if she didn't make did neckbeard shit, she would be able to grow and make something that could be really cool!

Posted

That's what I mean! She obviously has a diverse range of abilities and it shows in a lot of her older art and some of her newer things, but she resigns herself to just drawing the same bodies with the same faces and the same expressions to rake in that money. But it's working, so hey good for her. I believe she's completely capable of going above and beyond since she was hired by Bioware as a concept artist. I would love to see what she created while working on projects like Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Posted (edited)

I used to be a pretty big fan of her work back before Patreon was the beast it is now.

I think her art reached its peak in 2014, and then her quality dipped when she started making a ton of Patreon bucks.

Why put in the effort of making fully rendered, polished work when you can release several smaller, incomplete pieces. She herself has said that because of Patreon she can be more "experimental" with her pieces, but I can't help but feel like it is a cop out. 

To this day I cannot get over how this:

44b9cf468ed6be01c3d019ffbbffa09e-db74qq4

Was something she drew in 2017 and released as a pinup on her Patreon; the quality is a nose dive from what she has released in the past.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that she was not working in the Bioware Edmonton studio, but the now defunct Bioware Montreal, which means she would have been working on Mass Effect: Andromeda or the previous trilogy's DLC's. The likelihood she contributed to the original trilogy or any of the Dragon Age games are slim. I have known a few people who have worked at Bioware and from the way they talk the Montreal studio did very little work with the main games.

Edited by Angelus

Posted

i still feel like she was a hypocrite during the whole kr0nprinz art theft/plagiarism thing a few years back. you really dont have much room to talk about "stealing people's ideas" when you're making big bucks off of people's original ideas (characters)... 

SJm0jG5.png

+ this tweet perfectly summarizes it:

pxcOZcb.png

Posted

i used to be a big fan of her art. she definitely has a lot of talent- she's great at what she does, and the shading is phenomenal. art is subjective, everyone will have different views on different arts and art styles. i would love to see her expand her works sometime.

i don't find her problematic, but it's a shame that a lot of her work is just for $ now. would love to see something that she really wants to draw, something with meaning. but like i said, art is subjective, and she can do what she wants. i'm just voicing my opinion.

Posted

I would like to see her art expand to different body types

Posted (edited)

I really like her style and her skills are awesome, but I'd like to see more than just nsfw art. She has a lot of potential and stick to drawing pin ups forever seems like a waste for me, it would be refreshing and she could improve a lot if she leaves her comfort zone and starts experimenting with diferent things imo

Edited by Horror

Posted

Oh I love Saki! her art is hot af :alpacacrush::alpacacrush: