Pretty Pastel Please

91 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Alex is a 24 year old youtuber from Australia. She is most known for her hauls in which she does "$2,000 worth of WISH clothing" or "I ordered $500 worth of SHEIN clothes" 

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEZCNACELwBSFXyq4 

She also gets a ton of sponsorships and begs big brands to sponsor her. She claims she is honest but says that many questionable sites like yesstyle, youvimi, zaful etc. have some "nice quality clothes" and is willing to overlook the quality or poor ethics just for the kawaii aspect of it. She is also a hoarder and has a bunch of things she never uses just to show off how "pastel" she is. 

I think her personality is sweet but I feel like she needs to distance herself from unethical brands in order to come across as more genuine. 

Also her bird Archie is very cute:

Edited by krustykrabpizza
formating

Posted

i don’t understand why this was downvoted?

anyway i watch all of her haul videos when they are posted because i find them entertaining but i think it’s kind of embarrassing she actually messages brands herself and asks for free product.

i don’t think she’s neccessary lying either when she says some of those cheap websites have nice quality clothes because i think most people are so used to poorly made clothing that they think the worst of the worst is the baseline and anything slightly better is “good quality.”

Posted

i don’t understand why this was downvoted?

check the downvote, the person who did it joined 10 hours ago just to downvote the post :alpacawink:

anyway, can you post all of her social media links?

Posted

check the downvote, the person who did it joined 10 hours ago just to downvote the post :alpacawink:

anyway, can you post all of her social media links?

Instagram

YouTube

Twitter

So she just shops??? How is that content??? :alpacaconfused:

Posted

I stumbled upon her BooHoo haul and initially I didn't care about her but as I watched more videos she (and Archie) grew on me. She came off as bland at first but I think she's gotten better with her haul vids. iirc the only site i remember her "begging" (asking for is begging now I see) is Dollskill, the rest of them actually contact her after she receives so many comment requests. She is honest about being part of a site or app meant for social media influencers to easily find sponsorships/be sent items to review,  which is how she recently got that recent makeup brand sponsorship.  A majority of the wholesale or taobao reseller sites (even Dollskill) items are sent for free. And when it comes to her actually spending money, she purposely purchases from shops that have a return policy and either returns or sells a lot of the stuff. 

So she just shops??? How is that content??? :alpacaconfused:

She initially started doing pastel food videos. Hauls from those particular sites are really popular, especially from Wish (or just... hauls in general). I think the combination of haul popularity and the fact that she specifically focuses on pastel fashion makes her type of videos even more enticing.  

The only thing that irked me about her was when she was showing off her purchases and said she bought J* Cosmetic lipsticks for the packaging. Which is fine but she didn't leave it at that. She then proceeded to be super dismissive and uneducated of people's reasonings for not supporting/liking him, stating "he's apologized I don't know what more the man can do." I honestly wish people could stop trying to justify their purchases from problematic/problematically owned companies. It's impossible for people to shop 100% ethically, so just say you bought it for the packaging or whatever, stop justifying it/the owner and eventually making yourself a fool in the process. 

Oh and she was suuuuper unreasonably sloppy with those Sam Marcel lip swatches recently. A lil bit of error is fine but like... it looked like she didn't even bother cleaning it up a bit.  She's at least getting better with her overall makeup though.  

Posted

Whoa she has a really nice figure!!!:alpacalove:

Posted

I remember in her PO box video she said that she emailed MAC after seeing they collaborated with a friend and fellow influencer. She said that prior to asking MAC she had used her MAC cosmetics for 8 years! (eww) 

Same thing with her asking for those rainbow/glitter makeup brushes? Plus other things I cba to remember. 

I don't have anything personal against her but she does SO MANY of these hauls and must have so much clutter now. She should at least do some more giveaways since her job is now basically just getting a bunch of free stuff and hauling it.... and hoarding it :P 

In the last two days she's done two more hauls. Isn't it a bit over kill?

Posted

i agree. i mean, i know she returns a lot of the items but there are still a ton that seem so frivolous to me. i personally really enjoy hauls because it stops me from spending my own money even though it feels like i’m the one shopping lol. that being said i do agree it’s a half-assed way to create “content.”

Posted

Been following her on instagram for a while and seen her youtube channel blow up after a number of wish hauls. Although she puts out decent content with a lot of effort (and money) it is very clear that she cannot take even the slightest criticism in her content.

One area where this was really obvious was with Archie, people hated the fact that he would squawk throughout videos. She couldn't stand people telling her she needed to edit this out, mute the audio or not film with the bird, going as far as posting screenshots of "hate" to signal boost this to her followers.

Her latest video is even more concerning, going as far as to promote fake designer handbags bought on wish, one particular comment was shared on her story, and despite it making a few reasonable points, such as being made in sweatshops and out of potentially toxic materials, she only focuses on an apparent attack on her career in marketing, also I find it very odd that someone who supposedly has worked with Louis Vutton themselves would promote these fakes to her rather big channel.

screenshot1.PNG

screenshot2.PNG

Posted

At first I liked her and her content, even though she does quite too many haul videos.. Pastel style is cute and she pulls it of pretty well. Archie's screeches are super annoying especially when Alex tries to speak and the bird just keeps interrupting, otherwise I don't mind him. 

But h my god how she cannot take any criticism at all. She is still going on with complaining about the negative comments on Instagram and Twitter. It's so embarassing that a 24 yo just can't let go of a few negative things said about her content or opinions. It is really off-putting. :S

Posted

oh, wow. i never realized she was this defensive over the pettiest of things. she needs to grow up.

also, promoting rip off designer is disgusting and art theft, imo. but i guess it was already obvious she doesn’t care about the integrity and ethics of the clothing manufacturers she promotes, anyway.

Posted

Pettypastelplease anyone? that was bad, I'll stop.

I didn't think she'd be so defensive like that either.. whilst she's "careful" about what she promotes, she still kind of endorses fakes by showing them off and saying good things about them, haha. The fact that she can't take critisism.. bringing her 100k views into it, too... yikes. Whilst she and Archie are super fun to watch, I especially like the subs she adds for him. They're a funny touch, it'd be nice to see her branch out from just hauls. They do get super repetitive.

Like, she always talks in her hauls about how she would like some items if she could add certain touches to them, so why not try making a series out of that sort of thing? She's talked about it for a while... I don't know. It's better than the copious amount of haul videos. Then again though, I suppose anything is.

Posted (edited)

Girl is butt hurt af! 

Screenshot_2018-08-19-16-40-18.png

I'm pretty sure we've drifted away from your bird and are now on how you endorsed some really shit sweatshop work products. If you don't want to read the gossip thread ya don't have to. It wasn't made for you.

Screenshot_2018-08-19-17-23-26.png

Screenshot_2018-08-19-17-22-46.png

Screenshot_2018-08-19-10-51-11.png

Edited by Basicbitch
We ain't angry girl. I barely watch your stuff (pastel style ain't my bag) but watching this nonsense unfold is F.U.N.

Posted

yikes @ her.  the only thing i'm on her side on is the Archie thing bc like.... she has a disclaimer before every vid. dunno why there's still criticism about it at this point.