• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

The Massie Fam General Discussion

140 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

There's always a lot of drama involved with them, so I thought that I'd make a thread... Welcome to the:

~Massie Family Thread~

KYLA| Instagram(Pristin) // Instagram(Personal Public) // Instagram(Personal Private) // Instagram (Photography) // Twitter // V Live

LUKE| Twitter // Twitter Receipts

KARISA| Instagram // Youtube (*not 16 yet! Please do not discuss her!! links are here just here to obtain receipts about the others)

ELAYA| Instagram // Twitter // Youtube

MAMA MASSIE (BO MASSIE)| Instagram

Important Info:

KYLA

kyla.thumb.jpg.92701e7bb491b61afdb6b421a

Kyla is a 16 y/o member of the K-pop girl group Pristin. She received enormous criticism due to her weight. She has been on hiatus since October of 2017, with the official reason being stated as "health conditions". She sometimes makes an appearance on Karisa's SNS platforms. An official statement regarding her return to Pristin is yet to be made. 

LUKE

ewluke.thumb.jpg.97cf538dc9d83dc4c4f7793

Luke is the oldest Massie child, and it is estimated that he is around 18-19. He used his status as Kyla's brother for clout on Twitter and Instagram, and it for the most part worked. He gained a significant IG and Twitter following (~8.5 thousand) made up of mostly Kyla+Pristin stans. Luke was later involved in complex family drama and tried to drag his sister on his twitter. While doing so he exposed himself as a racist and has apparently been disowned by his family. Rumor has it both Pledis and his family will be suing him. 

KARISA

karisa.thumb.jpg.b95ce0830cbee0b8c7b45b3

Karisa is too young to post about, but her info is up due to her posting a lot of info on her siblings. She appears to be in her early teens, so please refrain from discussing her aside from the info she posts! She is very active on IG (4k followers) and less so on YT (2k subscribers). Her Instagram lives are usually K-Pop based and she has said that there is a possibility that she will be scouted by Pledis. 

ELAYA(???)

elaya.thumb.jpg.f58a1b092ec2f2526087748e

Elaya is a 16 year old "ulzzang" on IG where he has 37k followers. He uses his Twitter to offer selfie advice and recommend apps with the best filters. He also has an inactive YouTube channel. He is the same age as Kyla, but she has only ever mentioned her older brother, Luke, and her younger sister, Karisa. Kyla has always claimed to have 2 siblings; however Karisa claims on her IG that Elaya is in fact their brother.

PAPA AND MAMA MASSIE 

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.17.19_PM.thum

The Massie Family parents. The mother's name is Bo Massie, but I was unable to find the name of the father. Mama Massie's IG really revolves around her family, so there are lots of updates on what the family has been doing recently. Despite the estrangement of Luke from the family, she still sometimes posts about him. 

!!!Family Drama!!!

KYLA'S WEIGHT

Kyla began receiving a lot of media attention during Pristin's "We Like" promotions due to her apparent weight gain since debut. Her weight gain became such a hot topic that it prompted a controversial response from K-Beauty vlogger Edward Avila, who received both support and hate for his stance on the subject (implying she was too fat to debut, that she could lose weight if she just cut down on midnight snacks, etc). Here are some of the photos that went viral and made the issue so popular:

oof.thumb.jpg.c8941f07b13fbbf3270e3c4fee201708231430182277.thumb.jpg.25bb8f9833byowza.thumb.jpg.8823e1c44d8f67817aa21eb8

Luke took to twitter to defend Kyla against people who were body shaming her. This lead to him gaining thousands of followers overnight.

If/When Kyla returns, this issue is likely to be brought up again.

KYLA'S HIATUS

After the giant weight issue, Pledis announced that Kyla would not be promoting with the group in order to address some health concerns (Oct 2017). Many assumed it was to address mental issues (due to the criticism she had received regarding her body) and/or so she could lose weight and return to the group. Shortly after the announcement was made, Luke took to twitter to explain that Kyla had received a concussion on the set of Pristin's "We Like" MV and had returned home to heal and relax. However due to Kyla's still ongoing hiatus, there is suspicion that Kyla may be leaving the group due to not only her weight, but also Luke breaching her contract on multiple occasions (posting private details, criticizing and contradicting statements made by Pledis, attempted defamation, etc).

Pledis's Official Statement (translated, taken off of Asian Junkie):

Screenshot_2018-08-09_at_2.30.27_AM.thum

Luke revealing the health issue and how it happened:

lukee.thumb.png.43271cb27a216da54680b442weakclout.thumb.jpg.e4c29e19225b61210218

Luke also criticized Pledis for being "dishonest" about her condition (probably a breach of Kyla's contract):

ripluke.thumb.png.9b72539175602c787b0a3d

tsktsk.thumb.png.04f1533ef0f37c9d5802c30

LUKE'S TWITTER MELTDOWN

Up until January of 2018, Luke was supportive and protective Kyla (although obviously for the clout). However in January, he had a falling out with his family and was disowned.

Luke claimed it was due to his girlfriend being black and that his family was racist. He also claimed that because of this, he had been kicked out of the house; however, people who had chatted with him on discord ended up exposing him as the actual racist.

6353900782691770174.thumb.jpg.85047d2948 

324732302521963759.thumb.jpg.74c5cc7af81

2619216822487077584.thumb.jpg.5fcf93f9fc

Luke also told his followers that his falling out with his family also included Kyla. His bio said "not related to Kyla Massie" and he even posted screencaptures of their supposed conversation, trying to make himself look like the victim with Kyla as the villain (1-2 = Luke, 3-4 = "Kyla")

2894617868522343031.thumb.jpg.2f8cc7785c4410907379196990471.thumb.jpg.3e6582036c1458393383624788621.thumb.jpg.3d359cc0dc8323962561531338323.thumb.jpg.f940803c6b

People called him out, stating that "Kyla's" reply back to him was written in the same way as his message, and did not feature the new message heading. His gf, Shay, tried to defend him, but this prompted a few users who knew him via discord and irl to post about him receiving an STD from her because she had cheated on him and contracted it. He also apparently had a gambling problem as well. 

5156207149588837002.thumb.jpg.45beb0565a

2057104819743646183.thumb.jpg.328f4331a94910715590121102522.thumb.jpg.a30d00a2e87650867208301550479.thumb.jpg.5b604e1de0

Luke then posted his most notorious message...:

8099786140111850813.thumb.jpg.98a9d5b574

This all ended very seriously, as Luke deactivated for a while saying that the people exposing him had driven him into depression. Luke later reactivated and said that he was forced to sign a contract that made him unable to talk about Kyla or his family. It is rumored that his family and Pledis are taking proper and lengthy legal action against him, which is in part due to his apology on the whole situation coming out of nowhere. He appears to still be dating his girlfriend, Shay. He later made his account private, and seems to have deactivated or deleted his IG account. He'll probably come out of the woodwork sometime in the future, and I won't be surprised if it's for clout again.

5348603924427455978.thumb.jpg.55d315e1f7

4808883636870197175.thumb.jpg.3f63ef81a6

7778447798388036958.thumb.jpg.dc3e71f83a7873143076949392076.thumb.png.3a69b47974

ELAYA = KYLA'S 3rd MYSTERY/ULZZANG SIBLING?

Every info site with Kyla's information reports that she has 2 siblings: Luke, her older brother, and Karisa, her younger sister; however, after checking out Karisa's IG account, it looks like there might be a 4th Massie kid. Karisa's bio will direct you to "her brother's (Elaya's)" page: Panmago

Screenshot_2018-08-09_at_3.48.40_AM.thum

At first it might seem as if they're just good friends, but if you look through Karisa's page it really does seem like he is their legitimate brother. 

Birthday Message (Comments reiterate that he is NOT just a friend, but her brother):

Screenshot_2018-08-09_at_1.41.07_AM.thum

Sibling-like (??) video chats:

Screenshot_2018-08-09_at_1.40.43_AM.thum

The crazy thing is, Elaya is the same age as Kyla: 16. But this shouldn't be possible, considering Kyla was born in Dec 2001, and according to his age and the birthday post, Elaya was born ~July of 2002. That means there are 3 possibilities as to his status as a Massie kid: 1) he was born 2.5 months premature, 2) he is a half sibling, 3) he was adopted. It's a bit strange that he was never brought up by any of his ?siblings? before. Interesting topic that may get uncovered later.

Edited by Jaken
Linking Kyla's IG :)

Posted

i think kyla's story is the saddest ive heard in a while, she was 15 when they debuted and always received hate from everyone. Personally I don't know if i want her to return, but thats mostly because i fear for her mental safety if she does and she's lost weight or didn't. I don't want to see another JinE....

Posted (edited)

i think kyla's story is the saddest ive heard in a while, she was 15 when they debuted and always received hate from everyone. Personally I don't know if i want her to return, but thats mostly because i fear for her mental safety if she does and she's lost weight or didn't. I don't want to see another JinE....

Yeah, also with her whole brother attempting to ruin her image + ruining the image of their family as a whole, it's possible that she wouldn't be able to come back even if she really wanted to.

I can't imagine what it must feel like to have thousands of people give their input on your weight/ your body. Especially for a 15 year old girl who has just entered the entertainment industry: she wasn't prepared for it and having it be such a huge deal had to be damaging. All in all, I hope she's able to make the decision that makes her happiest, whether or not it means returning to the group.

Edited by Jaken

Posted

There hasn't been a lot of activity since I made the thread, but there has been some updates within the family recently!

I found the mother's IG account, and found a post wishing her estranged son, Luke, a happy birthday.

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.27.22_PM.thum

I can't help but notice that Elaya is never mentioned? I'm very confused as to his relation to the Massies, as no one but Karisa seems to ever mention him. 

The family also went on a vacation to disneyland recently, and Karisa posted a few photos of Kyla

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.05.42_PM.thum

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.05.39_PM.thum

This was Karisa's first post with Kyla in a while, and there was a fight in the comments

(I wanted to blur out account names but there are a lot of different accounts and it would have made it harder to follow.... just please do not go after anyone pls)

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.12.21_PM.thum

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.12.35_PM.thum

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.12.47_PM.thum

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.13.01_PM.thum

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.13.12_PM.thum

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.13.23_PM.thum

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.13.33_PM.thum

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.13.45_PM.thum

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.13.54_PM.thum

Screenshot_2018-09-04_at_8.14.05_PM.thum

Since I have made the thread, Elaya has gained 1.8k followers.

End of update :)

Posted

Elaya looks different from the other 3 siblings. Karisa may just see him as a brother-like figure and refer to him as such? Especially if she has drama with her older brother. She doesn't refer to Luke in her bio either. Perhaps a half sibling like mentioned earlier, but I can't figure out the timeline for that one. If she doesn't have any photos with him, I assume they don't live close by each other. 

Posted (edited)

Elaya looks different from the other 3 siblings. Karisa may just see him as a brother-like figure and refer to him as such? Especially if she has drama with her older brother. She doesn't refer to Luke in her bio either. Perhaps a half sibling like mentioned earlier, but I can't figure out the timeline for that one. If she doesn't have any photos with him, I assume they don't live close by each other. 

Yeah, Karisa mentioned that she missed Elaya a while back. Based on his post locations on IG he seems to live NY while I believe the rest of the Massies live in California. He also spends a lot of time in Asia. It looks like he spent a significant amount of time in Japan when he was younger, went to Kcon NY in June, spent July-August in Korea, and then Maine in late August.... He also follows a few Kyla support pages, as well as Karisa. I'm honesty also confused about all of this, but I would really love for this to get cleared up. 

Also apparently his name is Japanese? Not sure if it's even his real name, but if it is the only possibility would have to be 1/2 sibling, if even related at all

Edited by Jaken
fixing error

Posted (edited)

i really doubt the elaya kid is related to them but it's fun to speculate anyway lol. it is sad that kyla got so much shit at 15 but why did she debut in the first place? she wasn't awfully talented...lbr... pledis must've kept her for that long bc her parents paid for her training in full lol. i'm sure her parents could land her a job anywhere else lol. 

Edited by reboot

Posted

Wow, this is the first time I've seen a kpop idol with an open feud with their family. Even if she wants to come back, pledis most probably wouldn't want to be connected to the whole mess and left her. Image is very important for kpop idol and problematic family doesn't seem to be something kpop (korean) fans want to embrace. 

i really doubt the elaya kid is related to them but it's fun to speculate anyway lol. it is sad that kyla got so much shit at 15 but why did she debut in the first place? she wasn't awfully talented...lbr... pledis must've kept her for that long bc her parents paid for her training in full lol. i'm sure her parents could land her a job anywhere else lol. 

Pledis probably see how famous vernon and somi and wants to have a mixed idol in their girl group too.

Posted (edited)

I finally decided to make an account on here haha. Elaya is not related to them. I often watch Karisa's lives on instagram and she once said that it would be cool if Kyla & Elaya dated. I guess he's like a brother to her which is nice considering Luke is 'gone'. 

Edited by nahyo

Posted

Can't believe Pledis fucked up this bad. A literal youtuber caused all of this too lmao. How bad is your management that a Youtuber eventually is the reason behind family drama and a probable permanent leave?

HONESTLY unpopular opinion but Edward was right though. The girl was too fat to debut. That's isn't 'fatshaming', it's just the standard of kpop. It isn't fair and it shouldn't be that a kid gets so much hate for being a little chubby, but that is simply how it is, how it's always been and how it will always be. Pledis and Kyla could have known this in advance. Someone with her body type should know better than to think they'll be accepted by fans, and Pledis should know better than letting a chubby teenager perform, exposed to all criticism and hate. 
It wasn't even a big deal, just a chubby teenager. SO many idols got criticized for being overweight and they just lost weight by the next promotions. This could have been a simple fix to a small problem but instead it blew up because of an entitled youtuber, a shitty brother and even shittier management. This is all so disappointing.

Posted (edited)

Pledis probably see how famous vernon and somi and wants to have a mixed idol in their girl group too.

that would make sense if she was as pretty or charming as those two but she is not 

Edited by reboot

Posted

I think that Kyla was fine during debut, a little chubbier than everyone else, but not too noticeably. Kind of like Joy during RV's debut? Pledis really covered her body in the "Wee Woo" MV, and I think they were counting on her losing weight in between "Wee Woo" and "We Like." But after I saw "We Like," I was kind of concerned? She had put on a significant amount of weight in the few months in between their debut and their comeback. 

I found it most concerning here

Also I think she had been a trainee since around the 9-11 age range? I think it was because she had trained so long and had trained in the Pristin lineup that they debuted her. 

Posted

Can't believe Pledis fucked up this bad. A literal youtuber caused all of this too lmao. How bad is your management that a Youtuber eventually is the reason behind family drama and a probable permanent leave?

HONESTLY unpopular opinion but Edward was right though. The girl was too fat to debut. That's isn't 'fatshaming', it's just the standard of kpop. It isn't fair and it shouldn't be that a kid gets so much hate for being a little chubby, but that is simply how it is, how it's always been and how it will always be. Pledis and Kyla could have known this in advance. Someone with her body type should know better than to think they'll be accepted by fans, and Pledis should know better than letting a chubby teenager perform, exposed to all criticism and hate. 
It wasn't even a big deal, just a chubby teenager. SO many idols got criticized for being overweight and they just lost weight by the next promotions. This could have been a simple fix to a small problem but instead it blew up because of an entitled youtuber, a shitty brother and even shittier management. This is all so disappointing.

You're right in the sense that Pledis should have prepared "better" for the storm they knew was coming. The entertainment industry isn't kind to women/ girls in general but even worse when you talk about idols. But "an easy fix"? Lol biology doesn't work like that.

CICO and everything else regarding weight loss/gain mean fuck all when it comes to teenagers.

Posted (edited)

You're right in the sense that Pledis should have prepared "better" for the storm they knew was coming. The entertainment industry isn't kind to women/ girls in general but even worse when you talk about idols. But "an easy fix"? Lol biology doesn't work like that.

CICO and everything else regarding weight loss/gain mean fuck all when it comes to teenagers.

All idols manage to lose weight quickly between comebacks. I'm not saying it's actually easy, it's most definitely not healthy and it shouldn't be this way, but this is the life you sign up for when you become an idol. If you're not willing to starve yourself before a comeback, don't bother becoming an idol. Sad reality. I'm not saying I agree with this general mindset, but it's how it is.

The solution to the whole "Kyla is too fat what should we do" is easy though. Just lose weight. If she hasn't lost the weight, either keep her out of a comeback instead of claiming nonsense reasons OR prepare the poor kid for backlash. Pledis could have solved this so easily by either forcing Kyla to lose weight or manage the hate/criticism but they let this teenager fend for herself. Instead of supporting her in her weight loss they avoided any responsibility and Kyla is the only victim. 

Edited by saltycookie

Posted

This is the craziest part imo. Especially because pledis doesn't seem to care about Kyla's weight. When Edward made that video, I think it was sort of the second wave of criticism towards Kyla's weight. Pledis, from the beginning, did nothing and just let the criticism calmed down. Well, pledis definitely have a  plan with Kyla and her weight, but I would like to believe that Pledis was simply waiting until Kyla was old enough to do all the hard diets and whatnot and also probably why they decided to sent her off to her family first. But then, Edward made that video that turned the problem into something bigger than what it was. Like you said, a chubby teenager.