• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

rin / gothfruits

2311 posts in this topic

Posted

Rin is an enjoyable person to watch but they definitely have an inflated ego. It comes off as stuck up and from this thread I can see that a lot of people get that vibe. Their lack of professionalism will probably make it difficult for them in the industry. I think confidence is a nice trait but Rin is borderline arrogant. Ish reinforces Rin's behavior too. He was able to publicly tweet at someone shitting on their appearance and although Rin apologized on his behalf, I can imagine their private conversations probably consist of pointing out those "twinky gays" and other overdone personalities or makeup looks in the beauty community. Rin likes to feel special and validated. That's the kind of life they're aiming for. They beg for likes because they like the rush of dopamine. Seeking validation to make them happy won't work in the long run. I can see that it's hardly working now even though they get 25k likes a post and still weep over serotonin and their looks flopping. They truly think moving to LA will solve all their problems. They complain about being broke but have the luxury to even consider moving to LA...hmm that don't add up. 

Posted

Also the lowkey obsession with "the industry" is really weird and very egotistical. I can come up with a lot of people who break more norms that would make huge progressive leaps within the beauty industry, who are probably more talented than him tbh, that get discarded because they're not skinny or white enough. He's not exactly climbing uphill in the way he thinks he is, or at least he doesn't seem to realize that his look and presentation is not as revolutionary as he thinks it is, at least not in the beauty industry.

(On a somewhat unrelated note, it would be really cool to see more trans people using makeup to look more masculine in "the industry" than another person with colorful and typically feminine looks, just saying.)

Your discussion about presentation, being non-binary, being in the LGBT+ community was very well written. thank you!

I decided to emphasise and bold what I did because I feel like you addressed two other issues regarding Rin being in the beauty industry that are both interesting and very true. I don't really see that many beauty specific influencers out there that use makeup in a way that could be considered more masculine. I guess, in a way, this reduces Rin to him receiving as much attention as he does because his looks are colourful, not so much because they're feminine and he's a feminine presenting NB person? Which is what he's said in the past, and what we've commented on before, but it does kindaaa highlight how he isn't necessarily getting popularity in the industry for being a feminine presenting NB person 

And the other people who are ignored for not being skinny or white enough! This is something I've noticed with Instagram-based influencers like him. So many of them are white-passing, white, at least somewhat slim etc. It's a shame that people who don't fit into this bubble will likely be ignored because of this. Again, another factor as to why he has received a decent amount of attention: because he fits into these categories (very slim [though that's due to his stomach issues and definitely of no fault of his] and white-passing.) 

Posted

Rin is an enjoyable person to watch but they definitely have an inflated ego. It comes off as stuck up and from this thread I can see that a lot of people get that vibe. Their lack of professionalism will probably make it difficult for them in the industry. I think confidence is a nice trait but Rin is borderline arrogant. Ish reinforces Rin's behavior too. He was able to publicly tweet at someone shitting on their appearance and although Rin apologized on his behalf, I can imagine their private conversations probably consist of pointing out those "twinky gays" and other overdone personalities or makeup looks in the beauty community. Rin likes to feel special and validated. That's the kind of life they're aiming for. They beg for likes because they like the rush of dopamine. Seeking validation to make them happy won't work in the long run. I can see that it's hardly working now even though they get 25k likes a post and still weep over serotonin and their looks flopping. They truly think moving to LA will solve all their problems. They complain about being broke but have the luxury to even consider moving to LA...hmm that don't add up. 

I completely agree. I live in LA and it's a disaster over here and it DEFINITELY will not solve problems. (but that's my experience) Sure the location is nice, and it's a pretty scene... but it is really expensive here. A car is practically a necessity... Gas prices are high. The public transportation is not that great. If he complains about being broke in Texas, I wonder how he is going to handle the change of pace...

Posted (edited)

Not trying to sound controversial, but what biological sex are they? Again, I'm just genuinely confused but don't mean to offend. 

Edited by temato

Posted

Not trying to sound controversial, but what biological sex are they? Again, I'm just genuinely confused but don't mean to offend. 

Biologically female.

Posted (edited)

I completely agree. I live in LA and it's a disaster over here and it DEFINITELY will not solve problems. (but that's my experience) Sure the location is nice, and it's a pretty scene... but it is really expensive here. A car is practically a necessity... Gas prices are high. The public transportation is not that great. If he complains about being broke in Texas, I wonder how he is going to handle the change of pace...

hes goes to LA like two times ever? hearing all the success stories and the fact that most influencers are in LA makes him think all his problems will be solved and his success is what will make things better for him. 

He seems to be indenial and slightly desperate which I sorta relate to when you’ve just been depressed and suicidal at times. making and imagining your end goal seems to make everything in your current life seem better. I wonder if he’s looked at the rent prices in LA at all....

E6D41512-FBD9-45E8-85B5-CB5367495688.png

Edited by jollybun
added photo

Posted

I recently followed them and I enjoyed their content and looks as something non-conventional but now I  had to mute them because they are way too conceited and are always seeking validation, want their ass kissed, and the stans are a bit too much. Anytime someone questions or disagrees with them they have to send their stans to attack them, its weird. 

Posted

hes goes to LA like two times ever? hearing all the success stories and the fact that most influencers are in LA makes him think all his problems will be solved and his success is what will make things better for him. 

He seems to be indenial and slightly desperate which I sorta relate to when you’ve just been depressed and suicidal at times. making and imagining your end goal seems to make everything in your current life seem better. I wonder if he’s looked at the rent prices in LA at all....

E6D41512-FBD9-45E8-85B5-CB5367495688.png

Oh, just found out he did lol. He also said something about self-employment being harder. Idk what that is all about though. I would imagine it being easier, but I guess his depression is in the way. 

CEA5F3DC-7D89-406E-8029-09A9819DF7F3.jpeg

DD2A7FCE-02E2-481D-B080-192C1BD00955.jpeg

Posted

Oh, just found out he did lol. He also said something about self-employment being harder. Idk what that is all about though. I would imagine it being easier, but I guess his depression is in the way. 

CEA5F3DC-7D89-406E-8029-09A9819DF7F3.jpeg

DD2A7FCE-02E2-481D-B080-192C1BD00955.jpeg

jc why do people think that they need to move to LA whenever they get a little bit of fame? You CAN be a SM influencer in your own state and if brands like you enough and want you to visit them, then they'll find a way to fly you out to them. 

Please Rin if you're reading this, stay where you are. I'm tired of seeing people homeless cause things didn't work out and they couldn't keep up with the rent. 

Posted

jc why do people think that they need to move to LA whenever they get a little bit of fame? You CAN be a SM influencer in your own state and if brands like you enough and want you to visit them, then they'll find a way to fly you out to them. 

Please Rin if you're reading this, stay where you are. I'm tired of seeing people homeless cause things didn't work out and they couldn't keep up with the rent. 

I don’t think Rin wants to move to LA for the sole reason of fame. I’ve been following him for a while and he doesn’t particularly like it in Texas and I don’t think it’s very good for his mental health—or at least, Texas is where he associates being depressed and anxious in a lot. I’m guessing that he felt really happy and exhilarated in LA, and wants to move here because of the past good experiences that he had here. 

I’m at least glad he’s not just jumping into it and then asking his followers for money though. As far as I remember I don’t think he’s done that (begging for donations) and just encourages people to like/watch/subscribe to him instead. Which isn’t all that terrible compared to some of the other beauty influencers. His Instagram is basically his portfolio that he shows to companies, and I don’t blame him for trying to get more likes on posts. And at least he’s not buying likes or followers...

Posted

this so much! I mean Kathleen Lights and Jaclyn Hill both stayed at their home states and still made it, unless you have a job lined up i.e. Gabriel Zamora he was working for Lilly Lashes while trying to be a SM influencer after he moved to LA. It's always great to have a nest egg.

Also being self-employed especially since there is no structure and its easy to fall into a cycle of laziness. 

Posted

He doesn't have to go to LA specifically. If he wants to live in an area that's more accepting of trans folk, there are a few other cities on both costs with cheaper rent and nicer air.

Posted

When you are white passing and can get away with saying the stuff you do o.O