• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Emilie Autumn (Updated June 21st)

224 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Next one: This nautical necklace for $90.

As usual, I'm not factoring in the cost of pen and paper. (Probably the only real effort this kind of jewelry making assembly requires. Obviously, assembly-type jewelry is not a bad thing and it gives a lot of normal people access to customizable accessories they wouldn't otherwise have. My issue is with charging $90 for something so simple to make with such cheap parts.)

7_15f6db81-c932-4ebb-b432-d779b6e374f7_5

Anchor Bezel $4.49 for 16, $0.28 each rounded up from $0.280625

ea12.thumb.jpg.f2bfcda435db67eeae41799c2

Jump Rings $0.99 for 400, $0.001875 each but I'll round it up to $0.01 each for this exercise. She uses 3. That's $0.03

ea8.thumb.jpg.3e07e98e0d30747257d0e58309

Anchor Charm $0.98 for 10, $0.10 each rounded up from $0.098.

ea13.thumb.jpg.b2717af4c4c4e8cb7465e9d90

Bail $1.35 for 15, $0.09 each

ea9.thumb.jpg.4553413e873dbf3de72a05e635

Chain $3.71 for 10 m looks like a long necklace, so I'll say 24 in per necklace plus 2 inches for the dangle charm, so 26 in total. The cost of chain per necklace is $0.25. rounded up from 0.245 but please feel free to check my math!

ea11.thumb.jpg.2cf2a460ff0a32811c86bcad6

I see that she is also actually using a clasp on this necklace, so that's nice. Lobster clasp $1.97 for 100. $0.20 each rounded up from $0.197. Honestly, I could have found these for even cheaper, but who cares?

ea14.thumb.jpg.57c3c47a9bac09a707c6fc829

Here is a tutorial to get the glazed paper in the bezel. Assume $5 for a bottle of mod podge or less if you want to use elmer's glue and water it down.

The tutorial links to the epoxy used. It costs $11.72.

ea6.thumb.jpg.974e545b30a704541ffa898787

Epoxy and glue are a one-time cost, so the one-time costs for all of these necklaces total $16.72 maximum (less if you water down some elmer's.)

The total components cost of this $90 necklace? $0.95. It would cost her $17.67 to make the very first necklace, but less than a dollar after that.

Here are some examples of things with somewhat low materials costs that would be worth such a high markup: fine art ceramics (clay + glaze + kiln use = art), people who make fine knives from recycled metal such as railroad spikes and rusty shovelheads, and woodcarvers.

BonnieBelt-PlumBlossomArchingBranchTeapo

5f848945745d63c8db1b17af7a7f148a.jpg

57474a718e7829961b07185afe806ccd.jpg

All these examples have a common factor of adding a lot of time, skill, and care into creating them. These necklaces have none of those things. I am thoroughly disappointed in EA's choice to sell necklaces like this. I loved her music when I was younger. She was an inspiration for me to improve my own making skills and create things myself.

I couldn't find the rectangular bezel for the sold out limited edition one foot in front of the other necklace. I suspect that it was purchased a while back and the chinese manufacturers moved onto another design.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the chain and name plate for the bracelet, but I'll try. The issue is that she claims it's sterling silver with gold plate. Normally, that's called vermeil, but she's not calling it that in the description which makes me wonder if the silver plated with gold doesn't fit the normal vermeil description (explained in link). Any search for silver with gold plate will come up with random base metals with a choice of silver or gold plate. Even on my typical jewelry component site (firemountaingems is decent, rio grande if you're willing to spend for the real deal. Kinda telling to me that I can find all of EA's stuff on ebay from China. Not that cheap is necessarily bad, but the price does not even vaguely match the value of the piece.)

Anyways, let me know if I made a math error and I'll fix it. Thanks for reading my 3 posts in a row.

Edit 7/15: I'm actually having a really difficult time finding the correct blank bracelet components. Sorry. I'll try again later.

Edited by lilyofthevalley

Posted

Thanks for all of your work. I had seen some of the details on AliExpress, but never had it in me to lookup all of the stuff. Tbh all of the stuff she makes is literally what we did when we were 15-16 and just getting into DIY.

She could have rather made a tutorial series of making these with an option to buy a few made by her for reasonable prices. Hell, she could have made aN0thEr b0ok and add these as DIY content (even if there are tons of identical tutorials). Damn.. Even a book like that would seem more reasonable of a cashgrab.

Posted

Damn I wish people would make a youtube channel where they take long topics like this and rehash it quickly xD  im gonna be reading catch up forever.  I haven't heard from her since like FLAG.

Posted

Thanks for all of your work. I had seen some of the details on AliExpress, but never had it in me to lookup all of the stuff. Tbh all of the stuff she makes is literally what we did when we were 15-16 and just getting into DIY.

She could have rather made a tutorial series of making these with an option to buy a few made by her for reasonable prices. Hell, she could have made aN0thEr b0ok and add these as DIY content (even if there are tons of identical tutorials). Damn.. Even a book like that would seem more reasonable of a cashgrab.

NGL I would be totally into a reasonably priced craft kit.

Posted (edited)

NGL I would be totally into a reasonably priced craft kit.

She could have written a story that incorporates crafting stuff to escape the asylum or as a parting gift to a dear character etc. Or make it in the style of The Secret - a treasure hunt (Byron Price), but by solving the puzzles you get more clues as to what you're crafting. A crafting kit+a poem with riddles.

Edit: LOL, so reddit reminded me about that treasure hunt she made ages ago that went nowhere and that she even referenced the older treasure hunt books. I had completely forgotten about that shit :D

Edited by trashpanda
Update

Posted

She could have written a story that incorporates crafting stuff to escape the asylum or as a parting gift to a dear character etc. Or make it in the style of The Secret - a treasure hunt (Byron Price), but by solving the puzzles you get more clues as to what you're crafting. A crafting kit+a poem with riddles.

I'd be even happier if she branched out and started using new themes. How many years now has she been 100% about asylum?

Posted

I'd be even happier if she branched out and started using new themes. How many years now has she been 100% about asylum?

Meh, a theme that screams 1'm aN eDgY te3naGer is all she's capable off, I'm afraid. 

Posted

for about 10 years she started in '09

Meh, a theme that screams 1'm aN eDgY te3naGer is all she's capable off, I'm afraid. 

If she go back to Enchant Era or that Jane Brooks project she can show she has diversity other than just being a one note with her Asylum theme

Posted

...she's 42

Would anyone care for a cost breakdown of the bracelet if it was made of vermeil vs gold vs gold plate boring metal or some combination of just a few of those? I could do it, but I don't want to get repetitive and bore you guys.

Posted (edited)

...she's 42

Would anyone care for a cost breakdown of the bracelet if it was made of vermeil vs gold vs gold plate boring metal or some combination of just a few of those? I could do it, but I don't want to get repetitive and bore you guys.

Shes a 42 year old lie im pretty sure she been stuck at 42 for a while now she gotta be 48 

anyway  yeah if you are talking about that flimsy looking bracelet that looks nice she changing $55+ for

Edited by Fairyduster

Posted

Yes, I know she's in her forties and don't see how she's progressed in a creative way at all.. Or management.. Or anything for that matter.

Posted (edited)

Yes, I know she's in her forties and don't see how she's progressed in a creative way at all.. Or management.. Or anything for that matter.

yeah it's funny my friend in high school introduced me to her years ago and introduced me to the pretty reckless the same year… and it's interesting to see tpr's evolving over the course of three albums, meanwhile has Emily even come out with anything new or inventive in the last, what, 7-9 years?

Edited by randou

Posted

yeah it's funny my friend in high school introduced me to her years ago and introduced me to the pretty reckless the same year… and it's interesting to see tpr's evolving over the course of three albums, meanwhile has Emily even come out with anything new or inventive in the last, what, 7-9 years?

10 she started her Asylum Era in 09

Posted

Sorry if you are busy IRL but im still curious about that bracelet break down