• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Dealing with depression

44 posts in this topic

Posted

Guys have you ever felt depressed or have you got over depression? Well i guess that all of us have been through some kind of depression at any point in our lives...

Well the point is that i want to know how you guys deal with depression? For the ones who got over it, how did you manage do go through it? Did you do it alone or needed a psychologist? 

And if you want to share your story with me it would be nice... Right now i'm going through some harsh times and any help will be positively received.

I know that a psychologist may help me way better but i want to do it by my own... Don't want to make my parents feel worried about me... :( And maybe this topic may be useful for anyone else who doesn't know how to deal with depression right now or in the future and wants to get over it by her/his own or at least try.

Posted

Hmm, well first of ..if this is the first time, or the first time in a while you feel depressed and it isn't manic i don't think you really need to go and see a psychologist. It could be winter depression or somthing.. but what do i know?
Important is that you, for yourself, think about what it is that makes you feel depressed right now, and if you can change anything on the situation you're in for the better so you can get through it. 

One thing i've learned is that talking to a friend or family member always can help too, and sometimes better than talking to a therapist for that matter. If you don't want to worry your parents, then maybe a friend will be able to listen? Or grab a notebook and write all these negative feelings into it, even that can make you feel a bit better already.
Another thing that always is important is, that you do something you really enjoy instead of being alone, doing nothing and giving yourself too much time to overthink. Like.. sometimes it already helps if you get yourself your favorite food, watch your favorite movie or tv show, listen to good music, go out and meet friends..If you have any special hobbies.. now's the best time to spend time on your hobby. I know when you're depressed these kind of things can even be hard..like getting up and motivate yourself to do something. But once you get up and spend some time doing something you like you will definitely feel better. If you don't try to find some kind of joy in your rainy days you allow yourself to be even more sad and it will get worse /:  It's often just hard to really bring up the energy and motivation to even start. But if you want to get better you sometimes really just have to force yourself to get up and allow yourself to have some good times. 

Overall, depression has to be taken serious and doesn't just go away without doing anything to feel better.. I think you have to decide for yourself whether it is so bad that you can't get through it without any professional help (therapy) or if you'll be able to pick yourself up again with the help of family and friends maybe. 
I feel like i rambled a lot here.. just home at least some of it was a little helpful.. 

Posted

For me I just kept myself busy. I dropped into a depression the summer going into 10th grade and I don't think I got out of it until a couple of months into my 11th grade year. Around that time I started this really long podcast series (zombie podcast since I'm so psyched about them) and I do mean a really long one. I did this because I didn't want to give myself time to think about negative thoughts, and I listened to this every second of the day(even at school) and I was fine and dandy until I finished it. Then I started an online journal on Tumblr. Honestly I feel like that helped the most, looking back at the entries.. it makes me feel sad about myself. There were times where I even starved myself, heh.. I was kinda off the deep in..

Uh then I started getting on this site called IMVU( i'm sure everyone has heard of it lol) and I made friends on there and I started talking to them more(not about what I was going through) and that kept me occupied until I dug myself out honestly. We started playing RPGS together and I even found my boyfriend on there(whom I live with now :x). I also made a tumblr during this too(not just the journal one this time) and that was pretty depressing, they saw it and got the jist of what i was going through I suppose. I never talked about it but you know people always say " I'm here for you if you need anything! etc ec" I felt like I could actually believe them which in return made me feel I wasn't so alone.

All in all, I feel like keeping myself busy and being talkative helped me get out of the hole I was in. I hope this helps in someway...  

Posted

Thank you so much guys, some of my friends have came to me and talked to me, i'm glad to see that they support me and I'll take your advices, good thing I'm in wimter vacation so I'll be able to have more time for myself and my hobbies like drawing, playing my favorite videogames and going out with my friends, I've told them about my situation and they won't leave me alone, somehow i knew i could find help here with you guys... I know it may sound cheezy but i feel like we're a really nice community, we discuss about a lot of stuff but i feel like this is a nice place to also seek for help and help others. Thank you so much and i hope that it also helps any other member that's going through something like this...

Also, Sodapop i feel so happy for you and your bf x3 i once had an e-relation with some guy but he suddenly dissappeared ówo but reading stuff like that make me feel glad

Tink, don't worry, your words are actually very helpful, I'll take your advices.

Posted (edited)

Also, Sodapop i feel so happy for you and your bf x3 i once had an e-relation with some guy but he suddenly dissappeared ówo but reading stuff like that make me feel glad.

awe thanks! I honestly didn't expect it to last tbh i knew i liked him a lot(vov i made journal entires about him) but i never once thought i would meet him and then move in w him. Ofc my family was like " he's a killer!!" But i met him before i moved in lol so i knew who he was.

idk to keep a ldr you have to have A LOT of patience it hurts and it sucks but i saved up for months to be able to actually move from Tx to Ma and now im happy lol all my savings is gone because of this but eh.

honestly its not like i went on there to look for a bf it just sort of happen. Lol actually when i first met him on there i hated him for the longest time

Edited by Sodapop

Posted

I don't think anyone can come up with a quick and easy solution to getting rid of a deppression, but I do think that there are things that can make things easier.

Firstly, I think it is very important to excercise and keep yourself physically active. I know for sure that I am a completely different person when I excercise vs when I just go and sit at classes, go to work, and then just sit around when I get home. I might not fall into a depression that easily, but it makes me very moody and I just don't feel that well, and it's harder to clear your mind. So I say put on some headphones, blast music and jog/run/powerwalk everyday. There are many sites that endorse excercise when you're feeling depressed, anxious, etc as it relases endorphins. This is the first link that came up whe I googled excercise + depression: http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/exercise-depression
I think it makes very good points and explains the process.

Secondly, although I think watching stuff and playing games that makes you happy is a good solution, I still wouldn't rely solely on that as it is only a temporary solution. There might be something in your life that you are discontent with, and might be causing your deppression, so you should definitely try to figure out what it is with the help of a therapist.
Aka try to do stuff that help you long-term and might land you in a place that you want to be.

Good luck, I hope for the best :)

Posted

Thank you so much!!! x3 Well, now my parents know about my situation cause i couldn't hide it any longer (i started vomiting every little piece of food i ate DX) and they're willing to support me, my brother also, i'm going out with my friends and family more often, so that helps me a lot :3 singing also helps úwu when i'm with my best friend we sometimes discuss about what made me fall into depression again 5 days ago and every time i talk about that topic i feel like it hurts less, i feel like all of this will help me get over it way faster ówo of course i'm still considering going to seek an expert in order to fully recover uwu but i'm starting to feel better, little by little but at least i feel like i'm improving... Also thank you all for helping me, and i hope that also this topic can be helpful for someone else as it's for me.
Thank you all so so much!!! <3

Posted

When I'm depressed the only thing that usually helps me is a very big change in my life, once I even moved to another country for one year. But I admit that this isn´t healthy as I'm just running away from the problem instead of dealing with it.

Hope you get better :)

Posted

I've had 2 depressions in my life ;

The first one was when I was 16-18 years old, when I was still at school. What caused it was rejection from people, having a hard time in maths and not having the proper help, back stabbing friends and stuff.. when I got my diagnosis in Secondary 5 ( which is like, 11th grade I think ? ) I decided to quit school to take care of myself. A few months later, I got my first job as a cashier in a dollar store which helped me since it was keeping my mind busy, I was seeing people who appreciated my work ( and seeing that people appreciate what you're doing helps a lot, the feeling of being useless starts to fade and you feel more useful ). I had prescription drugs at that time and when I felt like I didn't need them anymore, I gradually stopped them and completely stopped them after a while. Then I left my job because I had lots of problems with the staff ( starting rumors in my back and bitching me, no way ! ) and went back to school.

My second one started in January this year. I moved in Montreal for school, that's a totally new city with a LOT of people, very few money, just enough to pay my rent, my monthly pass for transports and the rest was secure money in case of emergency. My mom was supplying me in food and meals since I couldn't even pay groceries with the very small Ioan had ( 570 per month... yup ). My room was isolated, boring, noisy... My school schedule was from 2:40 to 10:00 pm so my sleeping cycle was irregular, I was very tired all the time and with my boxing lessons I was more than tired. Just like, always tired. My weekends were boring, I was just waiting for school to end to start working. When school finished, I was job hunting, I got a few jobs unrelated to my domain but oh well.. They were all shitty too lol. Then  I found a company that needed an industrial painter and that's exactly what I'm doing. So I sent my CV, and they accepted. I worked there for 2 months until they hire another painter that eventually took my place... Not enough work for 2 painters, and even if I was there before the other painter, they still decided that I was the one leaving... THAT my friends, is what officially started my depression.  Enough was enough, I was already having a lot on my shoulders, and plus I recently bought a car ( not a 2015 one, a 2009 one that my mechanics was selling ), my other one was very old and too dangerous for me to drive. What could I do now ? I have a car to pay, 200 hours are missing to be accepted for unemployment benefit... I'm still searching and sending CVs to this day, waiting phone calls for job contracts ( hiring agency ) and when I'm called, I get a one day job, it's not well paying but at least I'm having a bit of money for my car... I went to the doctor and she prescripted me some antidepressants again, they're not strong, the smallest dose you can have, so I don't have a roller coaster of moods ! I'm trying not to think too much about all this and again, keeping myself busy is the key.

What I suggest for those of you who are currently having a depression, is to talk about it to your very close friends or family members. Keep it out of those who could create a new version of this to harm you in your back. Talking helps a lot, but choose your people since depression is a very misunderstood subject and people judge a lot those who are sick. Allow yourself some time to relax, you need some rest. Depression makes you a bit more tired than normally, so if you need, take a nap, you'll feel a lot better. Keep your mind busy ; Reading, watching videos on Youtube, doing researches on whatever, listening to music, playing some if you can ! ( lucky you lol ), drawing are all stuff you can do to help you if you are in a bad mood. If you think you need antidepressants, talk to your doctor about it, you might not need a high dose, just enough to keep you away from ups and downs ( or if he/she judges you need a higher dose, then try, if it doesn't work, contact them asap. ) Keep an eye on all your mood swings and symptoms ; suicidal thoughts, crying a lot, feeling useless and hopeless are all symptoms of depression in some cases or maybe even other mental illnesses. Do take all these symptoms seriously, because talking about it can save your life, and I can assure you that. Find the source of your depression, is it school ? Work ? Isolation ? Is it because your gf/bf left you ? Think about what caused it, it's important since it's part of your healing. Do not blame anyone for that, it's not your fault, it's not theirs, it's just that your mind had enough of something and is currently removing the pressure of a problem that caused you lots of pressure ; De-pression, depressurising. If it's because of what happened with someone ( breaking up, loosing a dear friend, family member... ), tell yourself that things like that happens to everyone, and if everyone succeeded in their healing, then so can you. You are a strong person. Crying is totally normal and don't forbid yourself to cry, it's good to cry and you'll just feel better after.

I wish good luck to all of you who are currently facing a depression or any other kind of mental illness. Take care of yourself and stay strong.

Posted

Thank you so much Ermac ówo and i hope from my heart that your situation gets better soon and you find a lot of people that can and will help you, friends do make things easier so i hope they help you and i'm sending you my very best wishes.

As for me... well, i got a depression because i made a mistake a year ago.. a somehow bad mistake, some person dug it out and now this person and another one that used to be my friend are now slamming it on my face and of course they made me feel like if i was the worst thing on earth... Actually that happened the same day i made this thread and honestly i'm more than thankful with you guys for helping me out, now i've seen that talking to friends and family about it makes me feel much better and even happier, sometimes i wake up in a bad mood or get somehow emotional and cry, also i stopped eating when all of this happened and now i can eat more than before, my family and friends support me and i even got more support from people i don't even know, sadly this is a common theme between girls (i don't feel ready to tell you what is it exactly but i've found out that it actually is a common theme) and i've found some girls who have been through the exact same or even worse things than me and are supporting me, also i've gone out with my friends to the mall, to a friend's house or just to have a walk around town and it has helped me a lot!

Of course that getting over this will be hard especially because there will be people looking for me only to insult me or remind me of my mistake and i WILL get my ups and downs just like anybody else but gladly i'm starting to see things more clearly ówo thank you so much for listening to me and for your advices! <3

Oh and sorry for making this very personal especially because i wanted this to be like a general help for anyone but well i used this as a gateway to ask for help... I think that sharing stories helps everyone feel better and i consider that reading other's life stories and how they're getting over or got over it helps a lot. :alpacacrush:

Posted (edited)

I suffer from a severe case of depression and anxiety. I developed it when my parents got divorced and it was messy as hell, I grew up in an abusive household on top of that.

I struggled for years trying to cope with it alone, I eventually stuffed my schooling up because I had a mental break down and kept skipping school. If I went to counselling earlier I might have avoided messing my life up so much lol.

But now that I'm older I've found talking to a therapist really helps. They help you realize what you're doing and suggest ways for you to cope. Right now my therapist has me doing meditation and exercising and it's helping me a lot. When you're depressed really badly you sometimes get super stressed unconsciously and exercising helps relieve that stress.

I'm glad you're feeling better! Getting out with friends and forcing yourself to continue on through life really helps. A lot can change in the smallest amount of time. But if it gets too much for you eventually, don't be afraid to seek professional help or talk to someone :)  Talking to someone can really help, even if it feels awkward or stupid. 

Edited by Rose

Posted

Re: how to deal with depression

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:02 pm

dear, lost and found..

i have dealt with severe depression for imore than 2.5 years,i know what goes in person mind it is worst than hell,but as you know every problem has a solution. i tried medicine they made me sleepy and overweight..i was 90 kg ..now i am 75 kgs ,i lost interest in all good things in world.

what i did to come out of that hell ....

1.self beleive...used to go for running and continously rpeat i am brave, iam good i will overcome it works like miracle running in itself is life best antedote to depression.

2.i sarting reading motivational books i remember...... i read EVERY SECOND COUNTS BY LANCE ARMSTRONG his story back from cancer.. used to say to myself if he can do why can`t i.

3.whenever negative thouts come to your mind just say go away there is no place for you in my mind.

4. i watched motivational movies

5. i started travelling....long walks in the near natural surrounding will do wonders

medicine never helped me it was my urge to fight ....it will take time and effort but you will surely win.....

last thing nothing goes unrewarded...if i would not have suffered i would not have helped you with my experience....

i am changed person mow ..i know life is very beutiful..i don`t get irritated or angry on trivial issues for me i am the best

Posted

I struggled with depression or dysthymia for roughly 10 years and I never thought I would say this but what ultimately helped me was a combination of medicine and weekly therapy (for about 1,5 years...before that my treatment was spotty at best). I find that talking to someone who is not a part of your immediate family is valuable because they can help you view things in a whole new light. In my case it was my previous and (then) current home environment that stunted my recovery and it would have been much harder for me to see that if I only talked to my partner or my parents.

My disorder was basically my whole life because it started when I was 13 but now I am symptom free.

Posted

I have dealt with severe depression in the past. I would (and still sometimes do) write letters to myself recording everything that happened that day in a positive viewpoint even though it usually seemed really fake to me because the viewpoint didn't seem like my own... I would read the letters later, they would give me hope! I still struggle with depressive thoughts (though I no longer have suicidal thoughts) I also feel responsible when I take care of my dog which makes me feel like he needs me.

Posted

meds never helped me, tbh. I also feel that depending on meds to alter your brain is probably not great.