• Announcements

• Official PULL Discord!   12/08/18

Hi Everyone!  We've opened up an official discord. In order to join, you need to have posted at least 20 comments on PULL! This is to make sure we don't let in any flakes with ulterior motives. After joining, you will receive a DM with instructions on how to get verified! Also, your registration date needs to be earlier than December 2018 so that we don't get a ton of people signing up only to join the Discord but without actually contributing to PULL. Drop by and chat here: https://discord.gg/KDF2kt5 Also, we need to upgrade our server in the very near future. PULL grows bigger by the day (yay!) but  to handle the load, we need upgrades. For less than the cost of what you spend on Netflix, we can continue to host your content. Whether it's $1 or $5 a month, all gifts are appreciated. Please consider giving here: https://www.patreon.com/PULL Thank you for your continued love and support!

Foundation Help?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

So basically I've worn makeup since I can even remember but I've always had issues with foundation. It's always splotchy and patchy no matter what I try, and I've tried primers, using a different tool (sponges and brushes) to apply it, I've tried different skin care products such as moisturizers and oils. I don't know if it's my skin or if I'm using the wrong products or what.

I don't even know what my skin type is, I'm not sure if I'm oily or dry because my face does get quite oily sometimes but it seems other times it's dry and flakey, or at least in certain areas (mainly around my nose and in between my brow area is where it's most flakey).

So I'm just wondering if any of you have tips or tricks to finding out what foundation works best for you or if there's any specific brands I should look into. I don't really trust YouTube reviews for foundation because it could look great on camera but crap in person, and I'm wanting it to look good in both. 

Also, I've never ordered foundation online simply because I'm scared I'll get the wrong color because I can't exactly match my skin tone in real life to a picture on a screen ya know? And I can't really afford to buy multiple colors just in case (especially if they cost over $25 individually). 

Please help me beautiful people

Posted

So I can’t really give you great product recommendations, it’s more general tips or what helped me. The way you describe your skin it might be dehydrated. Gothamista imo made a helpful video about this topic (link to it if your interested), there’s also a ton of others if you look for t but it really seems to boil  down to your skin either lacking moisture or oils. So you might not have dry skin and still be flakey and all the oils and heavy moisturizers might not help in that case at all. And to be honest,  at least for me the only times my foundation actually looks great is when my skin is well moisturized and I exfoliate regularly.

However, when my skin isn’t cooperating BB or CC creams seem to be the best option. I ended up using the it cosmetics one, but mostly because at that time I had problems finding other options in stores around here that had more than 2 shades. And much like you I don’t like matching/guessing shades online either.  I’m sure there’s more readily available products now that you could try out. (As an aside: for a product like this I also liked the coverage of the it cosmetic one though.) Among regular foundations dewy or natural finishes work better for me than matte ones when my skin is a bit dry. Also talking about coverage: Imo most full coverage foundations won’t look like you’re wearing nothing (except on pictures or videos maybe), so for a more natural look I’d say spot concealing and a lighter foundations are probably the way to go (I really like this video by Lisa Eldridge.)To apply foundation I prefer a sponge over a brush, but maybe that’s rather because I’m not skilled at applying foundations with a brush. I really think both can work, it’s just that when I use a brush I’ll highlight every single flaw/dry patch that I have. I also find the (wet) sponge easier to use if you have a foundation that dries fairly quick - another reason why you might end up looking splotchy sometimes. 

Im sure there’s more. I’m curious what works for others as well. There’s always room to improve. 

Posted

I'm going to check out that video ASAP. I know I've probably been putting my skin through too much, with all the different products I've been trying out. I went months without wearing makeup and starting a skin care routine that seemed to help but then I opted to try out proactive because I still get acne and I've got this irrational need to pick at everything, so I thought why not just get rid of the acne so I won't have anything to pick at. Aaaaand after about a week of proactive my skin started burning and peeling off, like not flakey skin, but it felt like the top layer of my skin was starting to come off (and once again, irrational need to pick, I picked at it) so even though it's been 3/4 months since I've stopped using proactive, I don't know how my skin has adjusted or how I need to care for it properly.

Also, I almost always go for full coverage because of my acne, and matte finish because I felt like anything else would make me look greasy lol but I think I'm gonna start looking at other foundations and see how it goes (along with figuring out a new skincare routine). Thank you!

Posted

They both have videos specifically around the topic of acne as well (Gothamista and a make up routine by Lisa Eldridge). Especially from over the counter skincare I wouldn’t expect any wonders. Acne can have so many different causes and can be quite hard to “fix” (that’s also why I don’t like proactive as a brand, it might help some people but imo they promise way too much). As an example: I always had quite bad acne and I think it’s fairly save to say it is/was hormonal. So while some topical treatments improved it a bit, none really fixed my problem. The first time I was basically acne free was on birth control pills and then again spironolactone. I’m not saying that is a perfect solution for hormonal acne either, I’d always try out topical solutions first, I’m just pointing it out because I feel there’s quite a few people online who claim their skincare is what fixed their skin when in reality they’re taking spironolactone or were on accutane for a while or whatever. 

Just make up wise I’d really give Lisa Eldridge’s routine a shot. Not necessarily the products, the video is not all that new anyway. But full coverage foundation will just always look like you’re wearing something and if your skin isn’t at it's best it tends to  highlight every little flaw. I also think a lot of people (and despite knowing better in theory that sometimes includes me) have wrong expectations of how foundation actually looks like, thanks to filters and all that. Not too long ago there was a post on reddit about someone actually posting an unfiltered/not edited photo on Instagram and while I don’t know that make up artist/guru/whatever you want to call it, imo it’s a much more realistic depiction of what you get with full coverage foundation even if you prep your skin well. 

Posted

I use concealer, in particular MAC Pro. It is really good. I have dark circles under my eyes and use this every day. It's a bit pricier than some other brands but you only need to use the tiniest amount so it lasts for ages. If you are interested, have a look at the reviews here . Hope that helps.

Posted

For me personally  i have really dry skin all over my face  but hands down my favorite foundation is the phyto pigment foundation by juice beauty.  Its pretty thin that you can build up the coverage but its really easy to also make it look like your natural skin. And if you are trying a natural look you can just use concealor for any problem areas and set the makeup with a powder.