• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

Anime Discussion

311 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Image result for GROUP DISCUSSION GIF

Since we have an unpopular thread of Anime, we all thought it would be best to have a separate thread on just a discussion of it since it doesn't fall under an 'unpopular opinion' this way we wouldn't muddy up the opinion thread. I've searched (and so had another member) and I haven't found this particular thread at all, if it is already made, I hope a mod can combine the thread if possible. 

Image result for GROUP DISCUSSION GIF

I hope this won't be too much to keep up with (idk?? what i'm talking about at this point ;-;) I hope this gain enough traction so it could be one of the active threads since there seem to be a lot of Anime fans here. I haven't made a thread in a good while so I hope this is actually a good starter post!

Happy Discussing~

Edited by Sodapop

Posted (edited)

Thank you! The Unpopular Opinions thread kills me for the fun. I love it. 

I think that the primary difference here might just be more free-floating discussions where derailing a bit might be ok? Like, if people decided to share recommendations or not stress about an open discussion of themes, characters, random BD extras.... I love hearing about what ticks people off, but I also want to hear about what you love!

I'll start it off.

Here are some shows I love and I feel should get more attention:

(1) Flip Flappers [An anime series made for anime lovers, a show that is about the pure joy of creation, emotion, and the ability of images and sound to convey poetry in ways that what one thinks of as poetry fails to even approach. It might be a love story. It might be a magical girl show. It might be a story of loss, redemption, love regained, and love lost again. It might be about two girls who hold hands after the rain. (It also makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck for the sheer and indescribable thrilling feel of just being right there, seeing that, and knowing every moment is going to be with me. Always.)]

(2) Zettai Shounen (This is about the warmest days in Summer, ventures into haunted forests, tracking a legendary cat, and averting tragedy. It's about cat paws through Yokohama snow, distant and uncertain love, yearning for the ineffable, and the fundamental epistemic failings of human perception. It also has aliens. Maybe. You'll never know and neither will I.)

(3) Kyousou Giga (A flawed yet perfect anime that embraces its every contradiction. It encompasses a tale of family lost and family regained, chaos created and replicated and demonstrated in ways that ultimately brings everyone back to a conclusion that...is not about making sense. It's about family. And this family does, at last, reconcile. Emotions and kindness operate according to their own logic. Nobody is forgiven for past flaws, but everyone is given a new chance. We all deserve such generosity).

(4) This is a bit of a throwaway, but it's a really cute short! 

Bernard-jou Iwaku (Just gonna quote an old review I wrote: Bernard-jou Iwaku has no right to be as good as it is. It's just a set of very quick gag shorts that proceed at lightning pace, shoving a ton of book references and witty book-nerd rants into just a few seconds of decent, but ultimately uninspired, animation. So...blah, right?
Well, no. I admit that I was drawn to this short because I love books and I couldn't resist the premise. I kept watching because the antics of Machida Sawako, the laziest reader of all time, were hilarious. And I just couldn't get enough of her hilarious trolling that inevitably led to regular meltdowns on the part of Kanbayashi Shiori, the overly serious tsukkomi to Machida Sawako's boke.
But then things changed. We got to see this lovely little friendship develop between Sawako and Shiori. It was genuinely sweet and it didn't seem forced. The final episode was truly moving and it made me hope for more. I didn't want it to end. 
I hope we get to see more of this series. It started off as a light entertainment and ended with moments that really made me fall in love with two wonderful book nerds. I'll miss them.)

So I hope you will all share things too! I want to hear what you love!

Edited by kamineko

Posted

Idk know i it counts but it does have to do with anime a bit so,

Stop casting the same 3 fucking VA for everything Funimation. I mean when it comes to them dubbing well know titles  they tend to pick either Todd, Vic, or Jonny Young Bosh. Good on them for starting to let new VA get a chance but that didn't start till like what around 2014. Also i wish they wern't the only Dubbing company around. Viz only dubs Shonene(and only once in a blue moon) Sentai Films dubs anime whenever they fucking feel like it but at least they don't fucking hire the same 3 fucking people

Also its 2018 the whole sub vs dub argument its stupid and pointless. some dubs are shit, some subs are shit it doesn't matter how you watch it as long as you watch it.

Posted

Stop casting the same 3 fucking VA for everything Funimation. I mean when it comes to them dubbing well know titles  they tend to pick either Todd, Vic, or Jonny Young Bosh. Good on them for starting to let new VA get a chance but that didn't start till like what around 2014. Also i wish they wern't the only Dubbing company around. Viz only dubs Shonene(and only once in a blue moon) Sentai Films dubs anime whenever they fucking feel like it but at least they don't fucking hire the same 3 fucking people

Also its 2018 the whole sub vs dub argument its stupid and pointless. some dubs are shit, some subs are shit it doesn't matter how you watch it as long as you watch it.

I dont mind Todd or Bosch but I loathe Vic, all his characters sound the same to me after a while.

Also, is manga talk allowed here? I mean, since they both tend to go hand in hand.

Posted

Well 'cause Funimation only has like 3 people they care about LOL let's be real. And although vic is a sleeze bag I do like his voice ;o; I grew up loving him (er the characters I mean, I was genuinely in love the Edward elric LOL) so every time I hear his voice I always get the !!! feeling cause it reminds me of ed :alpacadone: I tend to not tell people that cause i feel like a loser lol

Posted (edited)

Anyone else watching Megalo Box and feeling bamboozled with ep 7?

Edited by Fleet Admiral Yang Wenli

Posted (edited)

I have a comedy recomendation for people who like random, Monty Python-ish stuff. Cromartie High School.(I know many people hate dubs here but the dub for this is gold) The characters include a gorilla, a robot and...Freddie Mercury. Nuff said.

Posted

@Fukawa Toko this is my personal opinion but I think manga should absolutely be discussed here too!

I also wanted to say that I hope that disagreements are welcome! It's about discussion and debate. =)

@Fairyduster I think the sub v. dub debate, for me, comes down to this:

(1) I personally like to hear the original seiyuus so...I gotta do subs,

(2) Some subs suck because of poor translation, but there's also a documented record of certain dubs that literally alter dialogue to the point of rendering the whole series into a different show to the point of...why watch? I don't want a fanfic.

(3) I fucking swear that we could get together a better cast of dub voice actors from any group of anime fans (looking at you, PULL) and do a better job. Not fucking kidding. And you're right that it comes down to variety! It's not because I don't respect the work that people do, but it just sounds...the same. Too much. It's not exactly a high-paying job but I would enjoy subs more if I felt I were getting more feeling and diversity in terms of the talent. ( <rant> And actually if you want to hear absolutely fucking terrible dubbing, look no further than Disney's horrifying dubs of Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Nausicäa of the Valley of the Wind. It honestly killed my soul to hear those dead voices and unnecessary dialogue in movies I knew by heart. Plus they paid off Joe Hisaishi to create new, crap soundtracks and he is a god whose original work should never have been altered. Dammit. </rant> )

(I do, however, agree that judging people on dubs v. subs is childish. It's cool to have opinions but, in my view, the ones that count are those of people who love anime, not picky folks trying to score cool points. I just want good translations. It's everyone's choice how to enjoy a show. Ugh...I hope I expressed myself well? I did not intend to be rude because I agree with you 100%. I absolutely meant nothing I said as a criticism! aaaghnmfdkhj just gonna...*runs away*)

Posted

I realy loved Devilman Crybabe not because it was an anime with "a great story" but because it had balls. I am realy tired of anime nowadays that try to be edgy but they sensor everything at the same time. It's like the creators are trying to please everyone by analyzing the feedback from the viewers and creating blunt shows. It's like in order to make an anime they use an equation thats says : the show must have X% of fanservice (but not too much because some people are sensitive) Y% of violence (but try not to disturb anyone) Z% of complicated plot (but don't get people confused because they'll get bored) e.t.c. In the past when the directors had zero anime fan feedback they were working with all shorts of crazy ideas and visuals they had in mind and only time showed what it was worth it and what not. I know I sound like an old hag but I would take any trashy old show that had a specific weird concept over a well polished unchallenging new anime. Anyway this over the top Devilman adaptation gave me hope that there are still creative people in the anime industry that take risks( because the most controversial thing we see lately is a horny loser teenager  blushing cause he wants to bang his loli sister in every season ¬¬)

Posted

Well 'cause Funimation only has like 3 people they care about LOL let's be real. And although vic is a sleeze bag I do like his voice ;o; I grew up loving him (er the characters I mean, I was genuinely in love the Edward elric LOL) so every time I hear his voice I always get the !!! feeling cause it reminds me of ed :alpacadone: I tend to not tell people that cause i feel like a loser lol

Somewhat OT but with the metoo movement im suprised he hasn't been caught in iit because there are stories about him out there

He does have some good roles but  9/10 any anime he dubs its just him playing him self

I dont mind Todd or Bosch but I loathe Vic, all his characters sound the same to me after a while.

Also, is manga talk allowed here? I mean, since they both tend to go hand in hand.

I don't mind Todd either at least he has range. My only Gripe with Bosch is that he was in everything circa early adult swim. There wasn't one anime you could watch and not hear his voice. Bleach? theres Jonny. Trigun? Jonny again. Code Geass? Hello there Jonny

its good that hes taken a back seat though

@Fukawa Toko this is my personal opinion but I think manga should absolutely be discussed here too!

I also wanted to say that I hope that disagreements are welcome! It's about discussion and debate. =)

@Fairyduster I think the sub v. dub debate, for me, comes down to this:

(1) I personally like to hear the original seiyuus so...I gotta do subs,

(2) Some subs suck because of poor translation, but there's also a documented record of certain dubs that literally alter dialogue to the point of rendering the whole series into a different show to the point of...why watch? I don't want a fanfic.

(3) I fucking swear that we could get together a better cast of dub voice actors from any group of anime fans (looking at you, PULL) and do a better job. Not fucking kidding. And you're right that it comes down to variety! It's not because I don't respect the work that people do, but it just sounds...the same. Too much. It's not exactly a high-paying job but I would enjoy subs more if I felt I were getting more feeling and diversity in terms of the talent. ( <rant> And actually if you want to hear absolutely fucking terrible dubbing, look no further than Disney's horrifying dubs of Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Nausicäa of the Valley of the Wind. It honestly killed my soul to hear those dead voices and unnecessary dialogue in movies I knew by heart. Plus they paid off Joe Hisaishi to create new, crap soundtracks and he is a god whose original work should never have been altered. Dammit. </rant> )

(I do, however, agree that judging people on dubs v. subs is childish. It's cool to have opinions but, in my view, the ones that count are those of people who love anime, not picky folks trying to score cool points. I just want good translations. It's everyone's choice how to enjoy a show. Ugh...I hope I expressed myself well? I did not intend to be rude because I agree with you 100%. I absolutely meant nothing I said as a criticism! aaaghnmfdkhj just gonna...*runs away*)

The only reason they have terrible dubs is because they had hollywood actors and actress do the Voice acting which isn't a bad thing but if you want your anime to resonate with your viewers banking on star power isn't always a good thing.

Posted

The only reason they have terrible dubs is because they had hollywood actors and actress do the Voice acting which isn't a bad thing but if you want your anime to resonate with your viewers banking on star power isn't always a good thing.

Actually, The Mouse learned its lesson. I think the dubs of Princess Mononoke (aside from the ridiculous choice of Billy Bob Thornton to play a Buddhist monk), Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and The Wind Rises were all excellent! (They also stopped fucking with the soundtracks).

(And tbh the dub of The Wind Rises is something very, very special. They hired Werner Herzog to voice Castorp, the German man Horikoshi Jirou meets at the ryokan where he falls in love with Satomi Naoko, and if I hadn't seen the dub in the theatre I never would have known. I love his voice and he is a genius and a God of 20th century cinema. One of the most significant directors to ever exist, and I don't even give credence to the auteur theory. The literal second he spoke, I knew his voice. And. It. Was. Perfect. Seriously, whoever made that choice deserves so much credit.)

Maybe Miyazake hired him for a certain part in the original, since there's a song, but I haven't watched it in quite a while. 

Posted

Actually, The Mouse learned its lesson. I think the dubs of Princess Mononoke (aside from the ridiculous choice of Billy Bob Thornton to play a Buddhist monk), Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and The Wind Rises were all excellent! (They also stopped fucking with the soundtracks).

(And tbh the dub of The Wind Rises is something very, very special. They hired Werner Herzog to voice Castorp, the German man Horikoshi Jirou meets at the ryokan where he falls in love with Satomi Naoko, and if I hadn't seen the dub in the theatre I never would have known. I love his voice and he is a genius and a God of 20th century cinema. One of the most significant directors to ever exist, and I don't even give credence to the auteur theory. The literal second he spoke, I knew his voice. And. It. Was. Perfect. Seriously, whoever made that choice deserves so much credit.)

Maybe Miyazake hired him for a certain part in the original, since there's a song, but I haven't watched it in quite a while. 

idk who that its but sorry.:alpacaconfused::alpacadone:

But i Agree i do like Spirtied away and Mononoke dub

Posted

Anybody old enough to remember when there was multiple option on TV where you can watch anime? 

Like there was G4 anime block thats where i first saw Lain at. Scifi had a anime block for a while  then took it away. Fuse had one too. Now its Just toonami and its not bad but i kinda miss the competion that was had back in those days.

also remember when ADV was still a thing?

Posted

Anybody old enough to remember when there was multiple option on TV where you can watch anime? 

Like there was G4 anime block thats where i first saw Lain at. Scifi had a anime block for a while  then took it away. Fuse had one too. Now its Just toonami and its not bad but i kinda miss the competion that was had back in those days.

I remember that! I remember watching anime on Scifi wasn't it like every friday night or something like that? I would catch it randomly but then after awhile I never saw them anymore and I always wondered what happened but I guess now I know they just took it off lol I dont see why they did... Horror anime and scifi would go hand and hand I thought. Seems like a good idea in my opinion at least lol.

Posted (edited)

also remember when ADV was still a thing?

Lol I wasn't even born when most of these shows came out plus the only anime that was airing in my country was pokemon,yugioh,dragon ball,digimon and sailor moon and I didn't even knew what they were. I had to go like 18 to discover anime. Must have been great watching these shows when they were popular and people were talking about them.