• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Unpopular Opinons (Anime Edition)

482 posts in this topic

Posted

back in the 80s and 90s i loved watching anime and now i cant stand to see all this cgi shit.

and theres nothing even wrong with the new stuff today, they can have amazing stories and everything, but it lost its magic to me. i feel like a wrinkly old grandma for even feeling this way. kids and their newfangled animu.

Posted

I watched the first two episodes of The Promised Neverland when they aired but never ended up getting back into it because the three main characters kinda bored me and I didn't care about them :S

This doesn't happen as much anymore since the series have ended, but I always hated how people compared No. 6, YoI, and Banana Fish and argued about which one was better like gay protags can't exist in more than one series. And what's the point in comparing a sports anime to an action drama anyway?

I don't take any MAL reviews seriously to begin with but I find it especially cringy when they open their 2000 word reviews with some profound quote they found on the internet. I've seen it a lot for some reason.

Posted

back in the 80s and 90s i loved watching anime and now i cant stand to see all this cgi shit.

and theres nothing even wrong with the new stuff today, they can have amazing stories and everything, but it lost its magic to me. i feel like a wrinkly old grandma for even feeling this way. kids and their newfangled animu.

Because alot of them were hand drawn and now most is cg bullshit I like a handful of new anime but fuck i wish some would go back to the hand drawn art style.

Posted (edited)

Edited by ---

Posted (edited)

In AoT season 1 everyone looked like those cut-out paper dolls pasted on a blurry background, and it just hurt my eyes and took away frow the viewing experience. I'm glad they gradually transitioned to a more classic animation style, even if it's less "original".

Ignore, pictures won't go away

Screenshot_20190308-224934_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190309-010429_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190308-225428_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190308-225421_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190308-225406_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190308-225359_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190308-225349_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190308-225342_Instagram.jpg

Edited by Rocking Horse Fly

Posted

Hinata Hyuuga deserved better than Naruto. 

Posted

-Uraraka is such a boring heroine. Her last big moment was her fight with Bakugo which isn't all that much. 

-As someone who is an avid believer of the "Dabi is Touya" theory, I'm tired of it. Why? Because it seems like that is the only character Dabi actually has. Being Endeavor's "son." I want to learn about the Dabi now, not who he was back then. 

-Hate when people say Shigaraki, Dabi, Toga, etc are all just misunderstood and need to be saved when they and the rest of the league have no problem hurting and killing innocent civilians. The only one who is actually starting to have problem with this is Spinner. 

-I have no idea why they toned down Mahiru's breast size in the anime. Shinoa even said that "her sister had the size of boobs you wouldn't believe" so it seems kind of odd to have a character say that and give Mahiru average sized boobs when she was supposed to have a huge rack. 

Posted

I can't get into the modern anime, not because  I'm special and only like REaL aNImE but they're all so... lackluster? bnha is boring to me, I tried watch Violet Evergarden, not my cup of tea, and I can't watch these fan service stuff even if they have a good story

Posted

I can't get into the modern anime, not because  I'm special and only like REaL aNImE but they're all so... lackluster? bnha is boring to me, I tried watch Violet Evergarden, not my cup of tea, and I can't watch these fan service stuff even if they have a good story

Violet evergarden was just a Kyoani circle jerk i watched it when it was airing and it was so fucking boring. Had good visual but that was about it.

Posted

when it comes to the "dabi is endeavor's son" theory i actually prefer to subscribe to the less popular theory that he'd be endeavor's illegitimate child rather than the "dabi is touya" theory. it would still give explanation as to why he'd hate endeavor and shoto, endeavor would be the man who abandoned him, and shoto would be the "superior legitimate son". plus i can imagine something sad happening with dabi's mom suffering because she would be on her own, having to raise dabi. assuming his fire powers caused his scarring at some point in his life, it would be even more guilt on his mother's back if she witnessed his disfigurement and was unable to do anything, blamed herself for the incident.

spoilers for p5 under the cut as kind of an offshoot here but it is semi related

maybe it's because i'm a sucker for goro akechi's sad story in persona 5 with his dad not acknowledging him for years, his status as an illegitimate kid, his mom's suicide... i think the "illegitimate child" angle is more interesting than the legitimate estranged child angle.

there's something heartbreaking about the abandonment and the heartbreak for the mother in a country like japan where patriarch status is highly elevated and single motherhood is frowned upon. that's just me tho.

Posted

You know what? "Your Name" probably needs that JJ Abrams treatment to make it more like a thriller because it's sure as hell isn't a romance. it's a movie that thinks that emotional impact comes from a train fetish of oh I guess "this staging is important because they're separated by two trains and then they're going to find each other again". There's no catharsis, the character motivations aren't there to justify the romance (you would've had me at just staying as friends), but they have to do a romance because Shinkai wants to finally meet fan expectations? I know I am in the minority here but there's alot of disconnects I have with this movie fundamentally from a character motivation perspective.

Posted

I...i really still like the old sailor moon English dub. The new one doesn't cut it for me. I guess because I grew up with the old one but I kind of wish just like they did with Crystal they kept the original eng dub sailor moon voice actress. 

I am happy though that even in the eng dub Sailor Neptune and Uranus were lovers and not "cousins" :P Even as a kid I knew they weren't "cousins".

Posted

Someone mentioned on CG anime so I'm gonna give my two cents on it too:

Anime that are produced with entirely 3D assets (characters, backgrounds, effects etc) doesn't deserve to be called as an "anime" tbh. It's laziness to the extreme, tho I will still acknowledge their hardwork if the story is presented well.

I think one of the reason why the industry decided to change into pure CG animes is mainly because animators do not want to work in the industry anymore due to them being underpaid and overstressed in work. But what they never understand is that anime are embraced way better when they are hand drawn, especially if it is a major series that has a huge fanbase.

Not anime but I'm still fuming:

New Sakura Taisen being full 3D CG is just a nopeship for me, a hardcore fan of the series.
I could have accepted it better if they kept using the 2.5D setting instead of going full.

I just find these full 3D CGs cheap looking and trashy since they aren't going for realism in the models like Ryuu ga Gotoku (Yakuza Series), nor wanting to make them look better. Ugh

Posted

I seen alot of people bitching about the ending of Kakeguri XX it was better than the first season

Posted

I really just once want to see a healthy LGBT relationship in anime. Like I know they have problems and I get that but I think LGBTQ folks should also see that there can be happiness with their partners too. Despite all the roller-coaster we call life there can be good moments as well. Call me a romantic but honestly i just want to see it happen.