• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Ryan Boundless

181 posts in this topic

Posted

He really likes to treat women as objects. i.e. Western women are less than Japanese women but Japanese women are always hot or submissive. Which he likes because independent women can leave him. Dude, just find someone you connect with and stop worrying about how submissive or Asian or western she is. SHIET.

Pure sign of low self-esteem. 

Posted

Pure sign of low self-esteem. 

It's so obvious too, like in the way that he talks about being a foreigner in Japan. I wonder if living in another country is too much for him. Especially one where he stands out. Like, this dude should go to Europe or something. Where there's more Caucasian people and he can still teach English.

Posted

Agreed agreed agreed.

I feel like the only reasons why he stays in Japan is so 1. he can "fuck hot Asian chicks" (barf)  to boost his self-esteem and 2. he's unqualified to be much more than an English teacher in Japan. I'm pretty sure Europe and in general places not in East or South-East Asia have higher standards for that.

And more than that i doubt that he has any more qualifications beyond being fluent in English.

Posted

He also loves to brag how in Japan he constantly gets women's attention (I'm 100% it's because he's white so he stands out) whereas back in US/Europe he would be considered unattractive. So I guess for him that's also a reason to stay in Japan.

Posted

Agreed agreed agreed.

I feel like the only reasons why he stays in Japan is so 1. he can "fuck hot Asian chicks" (barf)  to boost his self-esteem and 2. he's unqualified to be much more than an English teacher in Japan. I'm pretty sure Europe and in general places not in East or South-East Asia have higher standards for that.

And more than that i doubt that he has any more qualifications beyond being fluent in English.

Europe does have much higher standards for teaching English, though I think some countries are more strict than others. It's mostly because English isn't as rare and a lot more people are multilingual. I think it is also expected that you know the language of the country in order to communicate with your students, whereas some companies in Japan prefer that their teachers know as little Japanese as possible. But I only know a few people who have taught English in France and Germany so I could be wrong about these things.

Even though he complains about people staring at I'm or treating him differently, I'm sure he likes the attention on an unconscious level. Women from western countries wouldn't give him a second glance. That's probably why he constantly praises Japanese women and puts down women of other races.

It's sort of funny because when my Japanese friend came back from living in the U.S. for a year she was much more familiar with Western facial features and she's always shocked when she sees an ugly gaijin man and a beautiful Japanese woman. Ryan's girlfriend could definitely do better, but if she's happy with him then... 

Posted

In Europe is British English more preferred because people tend to get a job in Britain.
And I would not be surprised if he would pay in a host club for the "attention".

Posted

In Germany our teachers have to have graduated uni as English teachers to work in schools and our classes are sufficient enough that we usually don't want any additional classes by native teachers. If we wanted them, we could probably just take some time off and actually go to England.

In Japan most places don't have any requirements besides "speak English" when there is so much more to teaching. 

Posted (edited)

the saddest thing is, you know the top reason he's still here is because he's in too deep. Like it's just a big sunk-cost fallacy, but as he's constantly reminded us, he's been here for ~16 years~. He's like.... in this 30's at best? still working entry level jobs. owning no property (that I know of). pretty ignorant of financials.

if he did leave, what would he do? start over in his mid/late 30s (early 40s?) with no real marketable skills, no impressive resume,a "teacher" for years but with no actual certification. his skill set is "speaks English" and "is not Japanese" and that works for him fine but where outside of Asia can he swing that?

no money, no skills, no assets. he's pretty much stuck because he probably doesn't see any way out. no wonder he's depressed.

(of course it would still be better for him to LEAVE JAPAN because people always start off, in way worse situations than his. at least he has his health.)

Edited by atypical
lol "suck-cost fallacy" might be more accurate tbh

Posted

ugh Ryan is at it again with one of the same topics he always complains about in his recent video he uploaded 2 days ago. In the video he calls his children students "little shit devils," why the heck does he work with children if hates them and talks like that about them? I feel sorry for his students to have some child hating man like that.  The sad thing is I know some other white guy in Japan who also worked for years as an English teacher and I have heard from his students (that were adults, he taught an adult class) that he cussed them out using the "f" word at them all the time and called them "stupid idiots", so there are more like Ryan working as English teachers but hate teaching (but stay for the banging action) and act like jackasses towards their students and wonder why they don't speak English fluently and basically act like jackasses outside of their job in public as well. I think Japan should be more strict and picky about who they let qualify as teachers and start kicking out/deporting people who act like that. Well like everyone else said its because Ryan is here for one reason to get "some action" with Japanese women, but he hates anyone that he cannot potentially bang, that means: Japanese eldery, Japanese males, all non-Asian women, and little/young Japanese children (although his age acceptance level starts at high school Japanese girls which are on his "possibly bang" radar based on some videos I seen of him talking to teenage school girls or gawking at them).

Posted (edited)

The problem is that teaching English is a huge money printing machine over here. Usually the parents don't speak English and they just want what's best for their children - and let's be honest, that's not the normal English classes at Japanese schools. As long as they keep on hiring English grammar teachers who cannot speak properly, and keep discouraging actually using the language as a living thing, these eikaiwa schools will boom. And then of course you have the adults, with more and more companies requiring a TOEIC score of so-and-so-high, or changing the company language to  English, when they've never really needed it in their lives before. 

Anyway, because it's such a huge machinery they of course need lots of teachers, and if you only pay teachers their 200,000 or what a month to keep costs down, you cannot honestly expect people with a passion for the job to turn up at your doorstep. I've worked with so many guys who hated kids, hated dancing, and basically everything that comes with teaching children, it's just sad. But they won't get fired unless something dramatic happens. Uuugh, I know why I left teaching behind. 

Edited by クラパン
clarification

Posted

The problem is that teaching English is a huge money printing machine over here. Usually the parents don't speak English and they just want what's best for their children - and let's be honest, that's not the normal English classes at Japanese schools. As long as they keep on hiring English grammar teachers who cannot speak properly, and keep discouraging actually using the language as a living thing, these eikaiwa schools will boom. And then of course you have the adults, with more and more companies requiring a TOEIC score of so-and-so-high, or changing the company language to  English, when they've never really needed it in their lives before. 

Anyway, because it's such a huge machinery they of course need lots of teachers, and if you only pay teachers their 200,000 or what a month to keep costs down, you cannot honestly expect people with a passion for the job to turn up at your doorstep. I've worked with so many guys who hated kids, hated dancing, and basically everything that comes with teaching children, it's just sad. But they won't get fired unless something dramatic happens. Uuugh, I know why I left teaching behind. 

They need quality over quantity (since they do not pay a big salary, if have less teachers then they can pay better), but of course this won't happen anytime soon like you mentioned how it is in Japan and how they want a big amount of teachers. I wish sensible bilingual people (in English and Japanese) could tell these children's parents what kind of teachers they are having for English teachers, if they happen to have a rotten/bad teacher so that they are aware, but I don't know if they would care, listen or believe it anyways.

Posted

They need quality over quantity (since they do not pay a big salary, if have less teachers then they can pay better), but of course this won't happen anytime soon like you mentioned how it is in Japan and how they want a big amount of teachers. I wish sensible bilingual people (in English and Japanese) could tell these children's parents what kind of teachers they are having for English teachers, if they happen to have a rotten/bad teacher so that they are aware, but I don't know if they would care, listen or believe it anyways.

Unfortunately that's not how the calculation works. Fewer teachers means fewer students means less money means less profit. If you have a shitty 200,000yen teacher with 20 kids vs. a good 350,000Yen teacher with 20 kids, and you want to make money, you will probably go with the cheaper teacher because parents will usually not see the class room and rarely interact with the teacher, and they will not understand why they have to pay 1.5x as much. I've rarely seen students quit because of bad teachers. And, who is going to tell the parents? The assistant teachers/administrators usually are bilingual, but they rely on their jobs. Getting fired over having children leave because you told the parents what's going on only sounds heroic and noble as long as you don't have a family to feed.

But let's get back to Ryan, who hopefully one day will learn that looking at everything negatively and complaining has never made anyone's life richer.

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately that's not how the calculation works. Fewer teachers means fewer students means less money means less profit. If you have a shitty 200,000yen teacher with 20 kids vs. a good 350,000Yen teacher with 20 kids, and you want to make money, you will probably go with the cheaper teacher because parents will usually not see the class room and rarely interact with the teacher, and they will not understand why they have to pay 1.5x as much. I've rarely seen students quit because of bad teachers. And, who is going to tell the parents? The assistant teachers/administrators usually are bilingual, but they rely on their jobs. Getting fired over having children leave because you told the parents what's going on only sounds heroic and noble as long as you don't have a family to feed.

But let's get back to Ryan, who hopefully one day will learn that looking at everything negatively and complaining has never made anyone's life richer.

yeah I know it doesn't work that's what I said, I just "wished" I know its not reality unfortunately. Anyways...yeah back to Ryan.

Edited by Flower123

Posted

I agree with all of the above. The English education system here is broken and ineffective. But I feel like most foreigners who come here know that, or at least they should know that if they bothered to do some basic research. I thought of English teaching as a stepping stone rather than a career. Most of the foreigners I worked with originally have moved on to different jobs, including myself. That's what I don't understand about Ryan. If you hate teaching SO much then why didn't you make an effort to find a new job somewhere else? You've been in Japan for 16 YEARS (as you love to point out), so why hasn't your Japanese improved enough to seek new employment? It can be difficult, but at the very least you could find a nice translation job with a media company, a travel agency, an international corporation. Hell, you could even work as a tour guide for foreign tourists or maybe open an English school. Now it's a bit late for him due to age but I feel like he gave up so many opportunities during his 16 years due to laziness or whatever the reason.

Posted

I agree with all of the above. The English education system here is broken and ineffective. But I feel like most foreigners who come here know that, or at least they should know that if they bothered to do some basic research. I thought of English teaching as a stepping stone rather than a career. Most of the foreigners I worked with originally have moved on to different jobs, including myself. That's what I don't understand about Ryan. If you hate teaching SO much then why didn't you make an effort to find a new job somewhere else? You've been in Japan for 16 YEARS (as you love to point out), so why hasn't your Japanese improved enough to seek new employment? It can be difficult, but at the very least you could find a nice translation job with a media company, a travel agency, an international corporation. Hell, you could even work as a tour guide for foreign tourists or maybe open an English school. Now it's a bit late for him due to age but I feel like he gave up so many opportunities during his 16 years due to laziness or whatever the reason.

They always look for bilingual people, and there are tons of jobs for foreigners. Heck after  less than 4 years as a teacher I felt really stuck and as if I had waited for too long to get out, I can't even imagine 16. 

I think it's easy and comfortable to teach English, even if it sucks, looking into another field is a lot scarier for many people. But now he's pigeonholed himself in a country he doesn't like and a job he doesn't like. He cannot change jobs easily in Japan because of his age and the whole "no other experience than teaching English" unless he wants to open a school (would that be a school full of teachers who hate the country and children?). If he went back to the states he would have to start over again, but that's probably still easier because he's a citizen and not exotic.

The problem with teaching English and getting stuck is that it's super easy to get into and when you're young it usually pays better than what a Japanese person out of uni makes. But the salary doesn't increase as much as you age, and at some point, when you're 40, married and have children, your income will likely be below average. Of course if you find a place that pays well, is actually invested in their teachers and you love teaching, by all means do that. But if you don't want to be teaching forever you might look into alternatives early on. (I know teachers used to be paid a lot better in the past, but this is not the 80s or early 90s anymore when they'd just throw money at you)