• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Ryan Boundless

197 posts in this topic

Posted

lmao so now he's back in japan

Posted

I see he has multiple Japan videos up, I was hoping we'd never get to see him again. I wonder what mess he got himself into to have to run back to Japan..

Posted (edited)

I had known Ryan's videos from several years ago but recently stumbled upon them again. The trolling (or 'comedy') and negativity in his recent posts do not fit the impression from his early videos. What has happened?

Edited by federales

Posted (edited)

The Ryan Boundless story from https://www.youtube.com/user/japanascope

1975-2006: EARLY LIFE, MOVE TO JAPAN

Ryan James Davenport was born on January 12, 1975 in Canada and grew up in Redwood City. He majored in mass communications from Middle Tennessee State University in 1999 and worked as a taxi driver in San Diego. During that time he met Yukimi from Fukuchiyama, Japan, who motivated him to visit her. A reason to go was his love for Japanese culture. Problems in his family and divorced parents might have played a role. Ryan stayed in Japan and found work as an English teacher. He made an attempt to relocate back to the USA. When his money was quickly used up and his family refused to help out, he was left without funds to sustain himself and returned to Japan.

2006-2013: MARRIAGE, CONNECTION TO THAILAND AND MEXICO

Because finding a wife in Japan was difficult, Ryan relied on online dating to meet Willy, a young woman from the Phetchabun province in Thailand. He brought her back to Japan in 2008 where they lived together. She helped him learn Thai. Because their tries to have a baby were unsuccessful and for other reasons, Willy returned to Thailand in early 2011 to become a farmer and asked for a divorce. Ryan was devastated and moved from Kobe to Osaka. During the winter he also visited his father, who lived with his boyfriend in retirement on the hills of Colonia 5 de Diciembre, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

2013-2016: RELATIONSHIP WITH RIE

On June 14, 2013, Ryan met Rie, a one year older Japanese woman. Rie works as head nurse in hospitals and recently in a retirement home. She enjoys sweets, online games, and burlesque dance. Ryan and Rie appear most of the time in love but fight sometimes and alternate between living together and being separated. The couple spent the winter 2013/2014 with Ryan's father in Puerto Vallarta. There they enjoyed long walks on the beach, hikes in the mountains, and cooking. The time in Mexico was the happiest in Ryan's life. After returning to Japan and learning about his father's death in 2015 he wishes to leave Japan to start a new life in another country.

2016-NOW: SEARCH FOR A NEW LIFE

One of Ryan's dreams is to move back to California and live in a RV. Although he has savings from his jobs as English teacher, tutor, bouncer, and on weddings, combined with a frugal lifestyle, he fears big changes after being away from his home country for so long. He cannot convince Rie to join a nomadic life style and decides last minute to go alone to Thailand. From April to October 2016 Ryan lives in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Cambodia on a multi-entry tourist visa. Rie later joins part of the stay. Left unsatisfied by the experience, Ryan grudgingly returns to Japan. They live together with a teenage girl, Yuri, in Rie's apartment in Amagasaki, Osaka, south of Mukohigashi Junior High School.

In January 2017, Ryan is tutoring Japanese online and works as substitute teacher at an English school for children in Hinomine, Kobe. Unhappy and unsure about the future he contemplates how to spend the summer and the rest of his life.

Edited by federales

Posted

quoted for your notification

Feds, great synopsis.

A few follow up questions. Sorry for the delay, but as you may have guessed Ryan Boundless is not my priority and once in awhile when I get lost on youtube my interest in his life is sparked.

1. All past videos with 'willy' the thai wife appear to be deleted. I'm curious as to her appearance. 

2. Yuri, the 3rd roommate, this is the first I have heard of this, any more info, such as where you heard this?

3. So Ryan does not have a teaching degree? This severely limits his options in life, and explains a lot. He should just buckle down and get the degree to open up options. It also explains why he didn't work in Thailand, as they have really clamped down on ESL teachers without proper qualifications.

4. I love your synopsis of what RIE's interests are in life.

5. What is your estimation of Ryans net worth? In his Thailand monthly budget videos, he claimed to be retired and be living off dividends from investments, his patreon and you tube money. I will give you options.

a) 1-10,000 USD

b) 10k-25k USD

c) 25-50k USD

d) 50-100k USD

e) 100k

f) 250k+

G) NEGATIVE NET WORTH.

6. Is there a way to fake PATREON donors because I simply do not believe people would be sending him money.

Posted

wow this was fun to read.

Posted (edited)

Since January 2017, the Ryan Boundless channel is increasingly becoming a documentation of Ryan's struggles in life. Soeren Gelder presented on his youtube channel Wassana, a middle-age Thai woman, who had dated Ryan for a few months in 2016. Wassana's face, handbag, and car interior appear in Ryan's Thailand videos. Ryan also shows for a split second the balance of his bank account at 42 million Yen in a video, which however is photoshopped. In February, Ryan attempted to work as an English teacher in China. An American expat had introduced him to a school in Chengdu. But the employer canceled the job on short notice after finding Ryan's youtube videos.

As a reaction to the negative impact of his youtube channel, Ryan removed many old videos. New videos are posted without comment section and in two variants: a short version for the public and a full version for paying 'core fans' on patreon.com. Many viewers do not approve of the changes and start abandoning the channel.  I hope Ryan finds a more positive path forward.

Edited by federales

Posted

. Soeren Gelder presented on his youtube channel Wassana, a middle-age Thai woman, who had dated Ryan for a few months in 2016.  In

February, Ryan attempted to work as an English teacher in China. An American expat had introduced him to a school in Chengdu. But the employer canceled the job on short notice after finding Ryan's youtube videos.

s: a short version for the public and a full version for paying 'core fans' on patreon.com. Many viewers do not approve of the changes and start abandoning the channel.  I hope Ryan finds a more positive path forward.

I also saw a video randomly that showed an ex girlfriend of his, I was hoping for more, but the girl hardly talked, it mostly had the new boyfriend putting on a video and just informing us that she dated him.

I also suspected his videos may have led to the China job loss and I suspect his new short videos with a promotion to his patreon page resulting from a combination of his name being googled by employers as well as him being extremely desperate for money.

I checked out his patreon page, and he has 75/100 desired donors and wants 5-10 dollars from everyone monthly. I am not sure if you can lie about the number out of 100 you have. I checked out this page before and he was receiving 3-400$ a month, and now this figure is not available. Not sure if you can alter this figure on the site as well.

His life isn't that bad, as he doesn't work that often, although teaching is garbage but he has a simple life and has a girlfriend that is far better looking than him although Im sure the conversations are pretty lacking. The problem and he has addressed this is that he has a poor future outlook, no pension, and that will lead to an older age. And he can not change this with his current education or skills unless he gets lucky. 

Posted

This is his latest post on his patreon page...pretty pathetic...Basically just begging for money, this is not a sustainable income, just go get trained in something that will earn you money.

==================

Update (I need your Feedback)
Jun 13 at 12:11pm
Hey guys, I think moving to Thailand was a great thing for me in many aspects. In terms of health, it seemed to have boosted the strength of my immune system as I did not get sick the whole year. It was probably a combination of de-escalating the stress in my life and changing my environment. However, after over a year of sick free living I came down with something last week. I am over the hump now and recovering. Today is the first day I've been able to do any work. Anyways, this is why I haven't posted much content recently. Thanks for being patient. 

For my "Everyday Life in Japan" videos I am going to be posting four 10 minute videos. This will basically be 10 minute segments of the 1 hour Everyday Life in Japan big video that I make as exclusive content to my patrons. This is what YouTube will get to see from that 1 hour video: Minutes 1-10, 15-25, 30-40, 45-55 of that 1 hour video. You guys, my patrons, will get to see the full 1 hour video uninterrupted plus 20 extra minutes of footage. I will put out the full 1 hour video before I start releasing the 10 minute segments. This is just a heads up to let you guys know what is going on and to also let you know that you are still getting exclusive content. I will also be releasing some 10 minute segments from the last 1 hour Everyday Life in Japan video that I posted, but rest assured I will not be using all of the content which was shown in that full 1 hour video. Just an update, as of today I am on minute 37 of editing the next 1 hour video. 

Okay, moving on. I really want to hit my first goal of getting 100 patrons. I want to hit this goal because I am looking forward to growing and developing this channel with the help of you guys. What I mean is that when we hit 100 patrons we are going to vote on (a) whether or not the live stream event will be open to patrons only or to all of YouTube, and (b) whether or not we are going to open comments for the general public on YouTube. Just to let you know my personal thoughts on that: I am fine either way. I have felt a lot better since I turned off all the "noise" in the comments section, but I also realize that the comments section is one of the cogs that makes the YouTube machine work. As for the live stream event I am fine either way whether it's for my patrons only or for the general YouTube public. Just to let you know, either way it turns out, patrons will have the advantage. Even if the live stream is voted to go public, I will be prioritizing questions and comments from my patrons.

So that being said, I wanted to ask your guys advice on what you think I can do to hit that 100 patron mark? What could I offer people so that they would want to come over to Patreon and join the community? It could be anything, really. Let your imagination run wild.  I'd like to hear your suggestions. Maybe someone has a good idea that I haven't thought of. Please leave a comment below about anything that's on your mind. Thanks again guys. Deuces. 

Posted (edited)

A few weeks ago Ryan Boundless left Japan, telling followers on his website that he doesn't ever intend to reside there again, only to visit.  Ryan is now living in western Kenya in a rural area in the general vicinity of the city of Kisumu, which is located on Lake Victoria.  According to Ryan the nearest paved road is two miles from where he is living.  The first video he posted from Kenya features a Kenyan woman whom Ryan is perhaps is in a relationship with.  The video doesn't explain who she is, how Ryan met her, or even what her name is.  Quite possibly Ryan is living with her. My guess is that Ryan 'met' this woman through an online dating site in the last month or two of living in Japan, and decided to move to Kenya to pursue a relationship with her.  If you read Federales' biography, you'll note that Ryan has done similar things before.  Ryan mentions spending several days in Nairobi upon arriving in Kenya, so I imagine Ryan arranged for this woman to meet him there, and after spending a few days with her in Nairobi he went back with her to her home near Kisumu.

I feel a mixture of scorn and pity for Ryan.  He has said and done some dumb things.  I imagine that the breakup with Rie, who was by far the best thing in his life, mostly falls upon his behavior.  Ryan strikes me as an early twenty-year-old guy in the body of a 40-something man.  I think he stopped growing emotionally when he moved to Japan due to his social isolation there.  That social isolation stems from his nature; he is a highly sensitive and introverted.

I suspect the Kenya episode is not going to end well for Ryan.  If he couldn't stand being treated as a gaijin in Japan, how is he going to like being treated like a foreigner in Kenya?  His biggest annoyances in Japan were always being identified as a non-Japanese and having people speak English to him.  In Kenya he will always be recognized as a non-Kenyan and people will assume he is rich -- relative to most Kenyans, he is -- and he will constantly have people trying to separate him from his money or his few worldly possessions (in the home he now seems to live in, the residents lock themselves behind thick metal bars at night time).  I suspect another thing that will quickly become hard for Ryan to take is the endemic corruption in Kenya. 

What little I saw of Ryan's mystery woman did not leave me with the thought that this is someone Ryan is going to settle down with for the rest of his life.  She strikes me as the type that one might have a short fling with and then avoid ever encountering again.

Edited by HsiNa
fix typos

Posted

A few weeks ago Ryan Boundless left Japan, telling followers on his website that he doesn't ever intend to reside there again, only to visit.  Ryan is now living in western Kenya in a rural area in the general vicinity of the city of Kisumu, which is located on Lake Victoria.  According to Ryan the nearest paved road is two miles from where he is living.  The first video he posted from Kenya features a Kenyan woman whom Ryan is perhaps is in a relationship with.  The video doesn't explain who she is, how Ryan met her, or even what her name is.  Quite possibly Ryan is living with her. My guess is that Ryan 'met' this woman through an online dating site in the last month or two of living in Japan, and decided to move to Kenya to pursue a relationship with her.  If you read Federales' biography, you'll note that Ryan has done similar things before.  Ryan mentions spending several days in Nairobi upon arriving in Kenya, so I imagine Ryan arranged for this woman to meet him there, and after spending a few days with her in Nairobi he went back with her to her home near Kisumu.

I feel a mixture of scorn and pity for Ryan.  He has said and done some dumb things.  I imagine that the breakup with Rie, who was by far the best thing in his life, mostly falls upon his behavior.  Ryan strikes me as an early twenty-year-old guy in the body of a 40-something man.  I think he stopped growing emotionally when he moved to Japan due to his social isolation there.  That social isolation stems from his nature; he is a highly sensitive and introverted.

I suspect the Kenya episode is not going to end well for Ryan.  If he couldn't stand being treated as a gaijin in Japan, how is he going to like being treated like a foreigner in Kenya?  His biggest annoyances in Japan were always being identified as a non-Japanese and having people speak English to him.  In Kenya he will always be recognized as a non-Kenyan and people will assume he is rich -- relative to most Kenyans, he is -- and he will constantly have people trying to separate him from his money or his few worldly possessions (in the home he now seems to live in, the residents lock themselves behind thick metal bars at night time).  I suspect another thing that will quickly become hard for Ryan to take is the endemic corruption in Kenya. 

What little I saw of Ryan's mystery woman did not leave me with the thought that this is someone Ryan is going to settle down with for the rest of his life.  She strikes me as the type that one might have a short fling with and then avoid ever encountering again.

Do you have any links or screen shots?  Couldn't find anything on his website about it.  I used to watch Boundless back in the day.  He is definitely a tortured guy and while I don't agree with a lot of what he does he comes across as mostly honest in his videos.

Posted (edited)

Do you have any links or screen shots?  Couldn't find anything on his website about it.  I used to watch Boundless back in the day.  He is definitely a tortured guy and while I don't agree with a lot of what he does he comes across as mostly honest in his videos.

Sorry, I only have occasional opportunities to look at the content on his website.  What can be seen from the public side of his website, which is not much, shows that he has posted another video since last week's Kenya video.  Ryan spent several weeks in Ghana several years ago, I think after his divorce when he was without a steady relationship.  After seeing the Kenya video I wondered if the Ghana trip was sort of an aborted effort to leave Japan and settle in Africa, and Kenya is a second attempt.  But it may simply be that Ghana was never meant to be anything more than an adventure trip, and that the same is true of Kenya now.  In one or two of his later Japan videos, he was studying Spanish, so I thought he would ultimately end up somewhere in Latin America. I guess we'll see if Kenya is an endpoint or just a waypoint for Ryan.

An awful lot of the content Ryan posted while he was in Japan consisted of walks through supermarkets and convenience stores, his workouts, and his walks through local parks.  When he was with Rie, there were also many videos of the two of them eating in restaurants.  If he doesn't have access to a private vehicle his opportunities to find material for videos is going to be awfully limited in the bleak rural fly speck of a town he appears to be living in.  I think videos of Ryan with his mystery woman may be rather annoying to watch, but perhaps the bad impression she made on me in that first video will turn out to be all wrong.  The videos of Ryan with Rie together were probably what kept me following Ryan, though even in those videos I'd often shake my head in wonder that Ryan didn't have the sense to treat Rie better.

Edited by HsiNa

Posted

Sorry, I only have occasional opportunities to look at the content on his website. 

How are you seeing any of his videos that aren't public on YT?

Posted (edited)

How are you seeing any of his videos that aren't public on YT?

You need to be a paying member of his website or know someone who is.  His videos are on YouTube but to see them there you have to access them via his website.  The details of how exactly that works, I don't know.

You said Ryan comes across as mostly honest in his videos.  I agree that he seems to be honest in expressing his opinions about various subjects. But it seems to me that the way he presents his life is deliberately deceptive at times. I wouldn't blame any vlogger for wanting to keep aspects of his/her personal life private, but in Ryan's case his attempts to control what we know about him are sometimes pretty easy to see through.  For instance, it is plainly obvious if you've watched many of Ryan's videos that he is a loner.  The only real close friend he seems to have is a guy named Doug, who he knows from his days in the USA.  But his only contact with Doug is long distance, phone calls and email.   The other 'friends' we see in his videos (not counting Rie) aren't much more than acquaintances, people he has spent a few hours hanging out with, total, in his life.  I'm not knocking him for being a loner, I'm simply saying this is a (sad) example of Ryan presenting himself as something he is not--a guy with lots of friends.  As far as his relationship with Rie goes, perhaps there were all sorts of incompatibilities between the two of  them that Ryan chose not to let us see, which is fair enough and helped push them apart.  But even before the Soeren Gelder/ Wassana videos, it seemed pretty clear that Ryan was concealing a relationship with a Thai woman.  Of course, Ryan was hiding Wassana from Rie, not from us, but all the same there was a significant omission in what we were being shown.  Along the same lines, when Ryan returned to Japan he made a video titled 'Why I left Thailand' (or something like that) in which he says he 'had some connections in the Russian community there' in Thailand.  What kind of connections to the Russian community did a loner with no job and nothing to do all day, a guy who was new to Thailand, develop?  Ryan explains one of these connections is a women friend who is working in Thailand while on a student visa, but she is not a student and neither are her co-workers.  Gee, I wonder what kind of work these women were doing?

Edited by HsiNa

Posted

You need to be a paying member of his website or know someone who is.  His videos are on YouTube but to see them there you have to access them via his website.  The details of how exactly that works, I don't know.

Y But even before the Soeren Gelder/ Wassana videos, it seemed pretty clear that Ryan was concealing a relationship with a Thai woman.  Of course, Ryan was hiding Wassana from Rie, not from us, but all the same there was a significant omission in what we were being shown. 

Are you a paying member of his site?  or how do you see them if not?  Just curious.  I saw some of his Thailand videos but didn't know anything about Soeren Gelder or Wassana.  I knew he went to Thailand and returned to Japan and I think Rie dumped him at that point but I didn't really know why.  

He went off the deep end there charging people a lot of money to watch his videos.  I think he was tired of all the hate he was getting from the video where he snapped on the old Japanese man. Don't think the trolls really let up on him after that so he decided to private everything and disable comments.  When that didn't really stop the hate I think is when he bailed on Youtube.

For all his faults I can relate to him in a lot of ways. I am also kind of a loner and definitely can relate to the depression stuff he goes through.  I am also a fan of traveling and the frugal lifestyle.  I would probably pay a few bucks a month to watch his videos but paying $35 as a membership fee is a little sleep.  Over a year time thats $8-9 a month ($35 + 5 * 12).  I can get Netflix for that!