Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Charcoal, it's not just for grilling anymore....

4 posts in this topic

Posted

You're seeing it everywhere, from skin care to hair products. I have tested a few of the types on various hair and skin types, the results are thus:

Charcoal masks: not for the feint of heart. It hurts! I found its better at pulling micro hairs than blackheads.

Charcoal lotion: (yes this exists) i tried Surfaces brand. Not a bad feeling lotion left the surface of the skin with a soft almost powdery feel, scent was clean but not strong.

Charcoal Shampoos & Conditioners: once again I tried Surfaces because it was honestly the only kind I could find in a professional line. The shampoo is black and the conditioner is grey (I can see many a edge lords using it.) This is to be used with caution. Fine or thinning hair should only use it as a surface stripper once a month. Very oily hair could use it once a week or every two weeks depending on how much your scalp produces. Would NOT recommend on Asian or kinky hair unless you follow with an Argon or other hair oil. 

Posted

I did a Charcoal masks once for blackhead and I ended shaving half of my face but it did took some blackhead outs.

Posted

It does nothing for me.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, it's a trendy ingredient: activated charcoal, that is. The same kind that is used if you OD, thus they have loads of marketing on removing toxins... but you know, your body's pretty resilient too.

Charcoal masks (peel-off): Yeah, painful. It doesn't do anything but pull out hairs. Best used to scare little sisters and boyfriends.

Charcoal toothpaste: It's weird but it's just toothpaste that's grey/black. 

It's even in food, but this has been around for some time.

Charcoal bread: If you get over the fact that it's black as hell, it tastes like normal bread.

Charcoal lemonade: For a Sephora opening, they offered these bottled juices and I grabbed the lemonade that had activated charcoal in it. It was decent. Charcoal doesn't taste of anything.

Edited by Tsubaki