help me convince my mother into letting me go natural

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't know much about hair care or what products to use, All I know about my hair is that my curl pattern is 3c/4a and I have high porosity hair lmfao

The current problem is - is my mother keeps stopping me from WHAT I WANT to do with my hair, As if it's her hair on her scalp, She claims I'm copying my friends or someones influencing me into suddenly wanting to be natural, but honestly I'm sick of the continuous plaits that I do all the time that literally pull my hairline back.

She claims I can't go natural because I don't have "curls" but don't all black people have curly hair -- just different curl patterns? ( Tight, loose, medium yknow ?? )

Apparently I can't go natural because my hair is "too long" but literally seconds later she boasts about how long my hair is and if she had it she would be flaunting it wherever she went ?? 

All I'm asking for is how tf can I convince her to let me go natural?

blog_hair-types_4f432c07-bf18-43df-bc46-cbfe9c477a24_1024x1024.jpg

Posted

I hate being natural so much LOL maybe because I'm lazy or something but literally if my hair could take perms I'd perm it in 2 seconds. But alas my hair is a stubborn bitch and it won't take it no matter how much I cry. :') Idk why natural is becoming an in thing, it sucks. 

Though I will say it is cute af, one of my inspos is SweetPea: pictures below 

Image result for LESWEETPEA YOUTUBE

Related image

Related image

I mean if you want more work on yourself be my guess, I don't see why she cares so much though LOL (my mom is also natural but that's purely by choice) how old are you? I don't see why you couldn't just go behind her back and cut off your hair (or the perm part) and start on your own.

Posted

I'm natural and it's a lot of work and money. I enjoy it since my hair is healthier, I used to perm/relax my hair a lot, but it is time-consuming + a lot of trial and error in deciding what works for you/your hair type. 

If you instagram natural hair pages you'll find them, there are forums online and if you have a trusted hair stylist that's a bonus. I say start doing some research before jumping into it.  I don't how much advice I can give you since I have 4c hair but feel free to DM me for products, tips or ways to get your hair natural.

Good luck

Posted

Going natural is pretty much the same upkeep/costs as chemically processed hair, but more healthy in the long run.

I'm black/asian, my hair formerly was corkscrews when I was young and I pretty much had my hair relaxed/straightened for all my teenage years--it royally fucked up my texture/made my hair tough/crunchy. Current hair is a weird combination of loose curls, patches of straighter hair, ringlets.

The thing that sucks about transitioning to natural is finding products that agree w/ your hair. Lots of people recommend different stuff, it depends on how much you're willing to try and research.

Posted (edited)

um, so i'm natural (3c i guess? idk ive been growing my hair for 6 years now and the curls are larger bc of the weight)

i'm almost sure the money i used to spend in the salon with every session (excluding the products i had to buy to take care of my hair) is what i now spend in hair products worth for 3 months, so i don't really get how ppl spend even more money... plus, i use a lot of natural stuff (aloe vera, coconut oil...) that are better than a lot of products out there, so it's really inexpensive.

(but then again i live in brazil, it might be different in another country)

have you considered protective hairstyles? you could just keep your hair in box braids until it grows enough... that way you can just show up one day with a head full of natural hair lmao, then you would start taking care of it and all that stuff. i think you should give it a shot and see how it goes. what if seeing your natural hair long changes her mind?

Edited by munbaedong

Posted

I suggest that you start 'randomly forget' doing whatever you do to your hair that affects its curls.

I this is not something that would work, try and have a calm discussion with your mother about it. Tell her that you know she wants the best for you, and that you appreciate that. Continue saying that you want to try out different ways of styling your hair, and going natural is just one of them. Tell her to just let you try it, so that you can see if you like it or not. If you don't like it, you can always go back to whatever treatments you're having done to your hair. 

The current problem is - is my mother keeps stopping me from WHAT I WANT to do with my hair, As if it's her hair on her scalp, She claims I'm copying my friends or someones influencing me into suddenly wanting to be natural, but honestly I'm sick of the continuous plaits that I do all the time that literally pull my hairline back.

She claims I can't go natural because I don't have "curls" but don't all black people have curly hair -- just different curl patterns? ( Tight, loose, medium yknow ?? )

Apparently I can't go natural because my hair is "too long" but literally seconds later she boasts about how long my hair is and if she had it she would be flaunting it wherever she went ?? 

Whenever she says something like this again, tell her calmly that this sounds like a contradiction in your head, and that you need her to find a way to rephrase this. 

trying to convince parents to let you do what you want, is a hard process. BUT it CAN be done. Slowly. just remember to stay calm - this shows maturity. in her eyes, you might not have yet good enough reasons or be mature enough to let you do what you want [i have no idea how old you are, but please try not to get offended by my words.]

there's also the rebelling solution, if you think what i suggested won't work. You could rebel by chopping off all your hair [or just the treated parts if this is something that can be said about your hair]. and if asked why, you could say you got sick and tired of your damaged hair [though this should be good enough reason for your mother to let you go natural].

Good luck! i hope my 2 cents will be of some help. ^.^ @weiji