Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to figure out a fashion style?

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been struggling for a while to find a style I like. All I wear are sweaters, t-shirts, and black leggings. I'm sick of it, but I can't seem to find a style I like. How can I figure out a style I like?

Posted (edited)

Hmmm.

What singular pieces of clothing items do you like but never worn? Maybe I can assess (a) style(s) based on the pieces you like. It doesn't have to be a theme, just anything you like.

Edited by weenies
Grammar

Posted (edited)

I'd like to say that figuring out your new style can take a lot of time and effort. If you're not having fun, just stop and take a break. It's also okay to make mistakes and blunders. Along with finding serious pieces to introduce to your wardrobe, I'd suggest to try on that thing that caught your eye or choose the ugliest thing you see and try it on. It's no good if you're not having fun.

1. Choose a style icon, or several. Anyone you admire, think they're real cool, etc. One of mine: Emma Roberts. She's been my style icon for some years now. She's petite in height and lives in a similar climate, so I take a lot of inspiration from how her stylists dress her and play with proportions to make her seem taller than she is. 

Not into finding inspiration in people? You can use pinterest. Pin all the things you like now and that inspire you. Look back and get a bigger picture of what your new style should be.

2. Shop in store. Try a lot of stuff. Seriously. If you want, you can take a friend with you... anyone really.

The following depends on whether you're comfortable with having people tell you how to dress and it's dependent on your budget: personal shopping. Some places will offer it complimentary but you need to book. Department stores do it. Topshop do it too. Otherwise, if you're not there at a busy time, some sales assistants are more than happy to help bring you stuff. 

3. Stylist channels and shop-with-me vids can help. I like Trinny's shop videos but y'all know stores don't really let you film (thus covert camera is very shaky). She's not gonna offer much tips for teens/20s but I can get inspiration from it too because she's a little daring and not afraid to try new stuff. Unlike a lot of stylist videos, she actually tries stuff on and demonstrate. Something she's pulled off the rack can look absolutely hideous but when she puts it on, it works... somehow. 

Edited by Tsubaki

Posted (edited)

I think, to start, you should think about colors that you like to wear. Think about if you like longer/shorter hemlines. Do you like certain fits like skinny jeans or relaxed? Think about a favorite style of pants. Would you wear jeans or dressier pants? Be careful with the lengths. Some are too long to wear without some sort of heel/platform.

Also, for shirts you need to think about what sleeves you like/what types of collars you can stand/what materials won't drive you bonkers.

I don't know if you want to wear skirts, but be careful of the length. Some of them, it's one wrong move & everyone sees your underwear. I personally say it'd be better to try to have way more separates like shirts and bottoms so you have more freedom to mix and match.

For bags, I'd think a neutral color (black, white, brown, or off-white) and something simple would be a lot easier than, say, a novelty purse. (Not saying not to have any. Just saying start with something easy to coordinate.)

For shoes, maybe have some dressier ones for special occasions but make sure you can walk for a while in them. Or have a pair of comfier shoes to switch.

I'd also say, maybe sign up for Pinterest or Polyvore (if the coordinate section thing is still up). Pin everything that strikes your fancy and after some time, start looking through it. If there's a Goodwill or thrift store near you, try poking around a bit.

Sorry if this is a little too wordy.

Edited by UhhhhhNo
Wanted to add something.