181 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

TkyoSam (Sam)

qEvjjlmR.thumb.jpeg.e171eb84c15ef44f24c5

Youtube Main Channel --- Second Channel --- Twitter --- Instagram --- Patreon -- Facebook

TkyoSam (Sam) is a 31 years old American J-vlogger who started his channel in November 2007. He has been living in Japan for over 10 years and his main income is patreon, twitch donations, and some translation jobs on the side. In his videos, he talks about how to get permanent residency but he actually had spouse visa that eventually lead to permanent residence. 

He is very famous for starting drama among the J-vlogger community, lying about his education/Japanese skills, and talking about controversial topics. Other Youtubers such as Gimmeabreakman (Victor) and Phoenyx 787 (Zach) called him out on Sam's lies in the past. Sam always starts drama or beef around the hanami season.

In 2015, he had beef with Victor.

In 2017, he had a pretty big drama with Zach. 

Some small things he lies about: 

He claims that he graduated from Harvard but his actual LinkedIn shows that he graduated from University of Colorado at Boulder.

5aa35a2f7bb30__(516).thumb.png.8c460d2c55aa35bc1afaa6__(532).thumb.png.5267400dd

(I hid his real name due to privacy)

He lies about his work.

In the video, he mentions that he worked for an International school around November 2015 when he applied for permanent residency but his LinkedIn say he was just a freelance translator...

5aaae0f1df55b__(542).thumb.png.5002336b9

Idk if he's actually a translator because he's living off parteon and twitch donation money....

His Instagram:

5ab1355c2ab2d__(553).thumb.png.fa53b0375

5ab135a025e9b__(551).thumb.png.e1eb5baca

Weeaboo tattoos

5ab1365ad8a68__(557).thumb.png.0cbf8c770

5ab1365f9314c__(558).thumb.png.a8320144a

He is currently under fire for placing a camera on the conveyor belt at a famous sushi restaurant. 

The guy who's sitting across Sam is Brian (@ramenadventures).

On March 14th, one of Japan's biggest morning news (mezamashi terebi) covered this story

Main points from the video

• They interviewed a different sushi chef about this situation and he mentions that the unsanitary camera should never be placed on the conveyor belt.
  • The sushi restaurant Sam filmed in asked him to take down the video. (which he didn't until today)
  • The sushi restaurant also talked to the police about this situation (how Sam was milking views out of the video in question)
  • Lawyer came on and mentioned that Sam can face up to 3 years in jail and pay a fine up to 5 million yen.

5aa361d83a13d__(537).thumb.png.cb2f32092

(TkyoSam on the right. Left is his friend.)

5aa361dc707c0__(535).thumb.png.f7700fb9b

(He tried blurring the face but did a shitty job and you can see the girl's face)

Camera-Goes-on-Japanese-Sushi-Conveyor-B

5aa361e056e56__(538).thumb.png.80d61b1c7

(The camera goes around the restaurant and reaches the kitchen and the employees are very confused about the situation.)

The video was first uploaded without the face blur and Japanese people are furious about this because Sam placed the unsanitary Go pro on the Conveyor belt where the sushi is carried around the restaurant.

Japanese media:

Yahoo News - https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180309-00000009-jct-soci 

2ch news - http://himapima.blog.jp/archives/24938552.html 

Edited by May
added more things to his small lies section

Posted

Every time he pops up it's always something stupid he's done, be it last year's Hanami drama, him starting drama with english teachers (despite being one himself), him doing something drama-related with Unrested, some disagreement of sorts with Rachel/Jun...I'm sure these can all be filled in with details from people more in-tune with the community.

From what I know about him, which isn't much, apparently his visa is a marriage visa and he has a Japanese last name from that. Only reason I know that is last year during the hanami drama, his personal Facebook was deactivated and his hanami event briefly said "by Samuel _____," with that blank being filled in by a last name which is Japanese. A co-worker of mine in Japan used to be friends with him until like late-2015. He didn't say much about him aside from he is very lazy and often uses the N-word indiscriminately.

I think every foreigner in Japan knows of Sam in some way, and last I checked he has like 15K subs? so that more than qualifies him to be on this forum.

Those of you who are more in-tune with the community can probably tell us a lot more about any of this.

Posted

I'm not that into his drama history beside his previous affiliation with Kanadajin and the shit he did / said in videos with her.

However, one thing I could say is that, if someone asked me to think of a very bad stereotype of a man / American man, this dude seems like the perfect caricature for that in all aspects. He'd make me uncomfortable in any imaginable setting tbh.

Posted (edited)

He's been around since the original jvlogger days, with Applemilk, KeroKerorin/Caroline, and the AJATT guy who scammed a lot of people. He seemed pretty harmless back then, if loud and obnoxious. Actually, I'm friends with him on Mixi from back then and I haven't logged into that since forever, hold on.

fake edit: He hasn't updated anything since 2012-ish. All I see is what is probably his real name. Nothing fun to contribute. :alpacaworry:

Edited by xeno_panda

Posted

While I liked the video I can't stand this guy.  Fortunately we probably won't have to see him much longer because his heart will finally give out and they will bury him in a K-Truck.  He must be over 300 pounds by now.  Watching videos in the past of him eating is like watching Jabba the hut.  Slurping up noodles and wiping his mouth with his hand like an animal.

Posted (edited)

Gimmeabreakman is harshly criticizing Sam. Some people don't like Victor and I also have mixed feeling about him but I think he hit the nail on the head. 

Edited by May

Posted

hello! does anyone know why gimmeabreakman doesnt like tkyosam? is it bec of the youtube hanami last year?

Posted

hello! does anyone know why gimmeabreakman doesnt like tkyosam? is it bec of the youtube hanami last year?

In the video, Victor mentions he has beef with Sam because he lies about unnecessary things in the video to make himself look good to hide the insecurities when he's selling his channel as authentic and "real". 

Posted

I think him and Victor didnt like each other much for quite some time, not just last years hanami, but maybe even the 2015 hanami: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cpj9JvCRCk

Also any reason why this hasn't been moved/locked/deleted yet? Usually threads like these get moved quite quickly.

Posted

Also any reason why this hasn't been moved/locked/deleted yet? Usually threads like these get moved quite quickly.

I have no idea. Guideline say something is wrong if the post doesn't get moved within 48 hours. I added more things and checked over the list so hope it gets approved now.

I already added this in the first post but Sam got mentioned on Japanese news as a "problematic gaijin Youtuber"

Posted (edited)

Gimmeabreakman tried reaching out to Sam when Sam was being ripped on by some lawyer on morning TV...apparently Sam could go to prison for doing that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m2XJx53yL4&t=0s

Edit - just saw May mentioned this and put the related drama videos from 2015 and 2017 up on the main thread. Thanks, May!

Edited by SkyCat99
See edit description in thread lol

Posted

Gets in trouble for filming people without their consent at sushi restaurant 

uploads a photo that was secretly taken couple days later....

5aa9491ccccb7__(540).thumb.png.129d76289

Posted (edited)

I moved this to Online Personalities.  I want to let it gain some comments first, then it'll go in Little Snowflakes. This guy has earned his place there. 

Edited by All Over The World

Posted

I moved this to Online Personalities.  I want to let it gain some comments first, then it'll go in Little Snowflakes. This guy has earned his place there. 

Thank you :alpacacrush:

Posted

Oh man, I haven't cracked open a TkyoSam video in ages. So I'll start with this one.

Starting the video at 4:30, he says nonchalantly he bought a salamander and some fighting fish from a shop he's riding by, saying that he's a "neglectful bastard" like it's no big deal.

6:30 - Advice: If you want to some to Japan and do controversial shit or be an asshole online like him, don't do it until you get your PR, and don't want to work for an English Speaking company anymore.

13:00 -  He wanted to go to Taiwan during the Swine Flu outbreak, and the school he was ALT at told him he couldn't go because they didn't want him to get sick. So his friend got mad and called the School Board his ALT company worked at, and then he got pulled up and told off by his company.

17:00 - In 2009? he put up a promotional video of the Hanami using his students in the promotional video.

In the follow up Video (Part 2)

10:00 - It's didn't say anything in his contract about not filming / taking photos of students?? A Japanese "Hater" recognised the school emblem and rang up the school to report him.

14:00 - I just put their faces on the internet blah blah I wasn't giving out their social security numbers?

18:00 - Nowdays I would have gone back to the school and confronted the teachers and been like "why did you get me fired?!"