• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Insomnia?

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I should be asleep by now, it is 12:40 in Kazakhstan.

But I have trouble sleeping. I tried turning off computer 1 hour before bed, not work.

Tea did not help.

What should I do?

Posted

For me, listening to an audiobook helps the most, but it has the opposite effect on some people.
What also helped me: having some warm milk with honey, meditation, coming up with a story in your head, counting (but at some point I always got sleepy whenever I had to count something... even when it was in the middle of the day), have something with lavender scent in your room (a plant, a diffuser with lavender oil, ...), stretching a bit, sleeping with something warm (water bottle for example).

Posted

Try sleeping in a cool room, and buy some melatonin. This helped me! I live in a very hot climate so it's difficult to sleep. Don't take naps either! :D

Posted

I listen frequency. I literally just search "frequency that makes you sleep" on YouTube and I listen to this one (https://youtu.be/1MPRbX7ACh8) and i just close my eyes 

Posted (edited)

I can struggle with sleep too but it was probably worse when I was younger.

I'm not sure what tea you're drinking. Chamomile and lavender calms you down but not enough. I have to get out the valerian (it has a stronger effect on me), but I'll only use that if I'm seriously struggling because I'll struggle to get up in the morning if I don't need it. (Typically a light sleeper, and this helps me sleep throughout the night).

In all honesty, if sleep bothers you, you'll need to see a doctor. You can get melatonin over-the-counter in the US but I'm from Aus, and that stuff is restricted here, as in you have to be prescribed this by the doctor here. It's most likely the case around the world that you can't get melatonin without a prescription.

Cooling down your room is important if you're sleeping through hot summers. If you can't cool down your room, having ice around your neck and head helps. 

Increasing your physical activity during the day brings about the best sleeps I've had.

ASMR videos can help too... at least that's my choice of vids to calm me down. I don't even watch the videos. It's more about the sound. 

Edited by Tsubaki

Posted

I have suffered from insomnia my whole life. I really, really hate it. I take melatonin and sometimes Tylenol PM as well. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It really sucks to lie there for hours and hours trying to sleep.

Posted

Listening to those 10 hours of rain/fan/storm videos really help me and puts me to sleep in like 10 minutes. Leaving my window open also helps :alpacaheadshake:

Posted

You'll really have to figure out what's working best for yourself. I have insomnia regularly on top of being a really light sleeper and valerian isn't working for me at all. You didn't state exactly what doesn't let you sleep, so this is honestly a bit difficult to give advice to, maybe you can tell us what you think the problem is?

* Do you move enough over the day? Sport is important and a lot of fresh air might help too to make your body exhausted.
* Reading before going to sleep can make your mind distracted and tired.
* As already mentioned, room temperature, personally I sleep better when it's warm
* I can't recommend tea before sleeping because it'll only make you have to pee and then you can sleep even less
* don't eat sugar in the evening or anything heavy that's difficult to digest and obviously no drinks with caffeine
* I'm using an app called "Relax Melodies", it has both a ton of different noises that you can only mix as well as sleep meditations to help you fall asleep, just try around a bit until you find something that relaxes you (I also use the timer and just let it play past falling asleep)
* stop yourself from checking electronics, especially your phone
* don't beat yourself up over not being able to fall asleep, that only makes it worse
* control your breathing and concentrate on that

Random tip I got years ago: even if it feels like you're not sleeping at all, most often you do sleep a bit in between if you're really not doing things to keep you awake (phone, lights on etc.). And resting (= lights out, closing your eyes) is better than getting up again or using your phone.

Posted

3am in southern cali on a Friday and my insomnia is in full effect.... 

Hopefully reading through some threads will allow me to KO soon even if the phone falls on my face later

Posted (edited)

Not only do I suffer from sleep deprivation, but I also get insanely anxious and paranoid at night. It can keep me up for hours, thinking I will die in my sleep. It doesn't help that my left side often gets numb and my pulse goes crazy.  

I find that one way to keep my mind off things is listen to podcasts. During the day I wouldn't, because podcasts are boring as shit imo, but at night it serves as a good distraction so that my body can calm down and I can fall asleep. Plus they're usually very long and Outlast me. I usually default to the h3 podcast, because 1 I love Ethan and hila and 2 they joke around and are funny but not loud and obnoxiously so. It's good background noise for me.

( Although one time I made the mistake to do so through one of the post Malone ones and Ethan started screaming at shit like a spaz while I was drifting off and it woke my ass right up :/ )

If you have well behaved pets I think may help to have them sleep with you. I have an affectionate kitty who will sleep on my chest. The purring calms me down and luls me to sleep. 

I don't drink tea because I pee a lot and bathroom breaks keep me up.

Edited by jadedotgif

Posted

I used to suffer from migranes and also bad insomnia. You know what I've found out that reading books sometimes helped me fall asleep, but during bouts of intense insomnia, I'd wind up finishing the dang book before I'd fall asleep. I even took sleeping pills from online pharmacy but it was on occasionally, or for a few days in a row.

Posted

I would use melatonin with caution - it says on the label that for some people it can have side effects which include vivid night terrors.  I am one of those people that suffered from them and they are absolutely horrible.  On the other side, I've found that valerian root can be a very good replacement.

Posted

I have a hard time willingly going to sleep. Ever since my ex and i broke up i stay up until my eyes close themselves. I try lavender oil and tea before bed. I can't take sleep aids because they make me drowsy the next day.