youtube Princessmei

1773 posts in this topic

Posted

Wow!! does anyone know what agency is signing her?

She has a portfolio on her insta bio now: http://mei-yan.format.com/

To be honest, I'm jealous. she's so beautiful and gets to travel to japan to be a model after a long time of loving japanese culture and media. she's living my teenage dream lol :alpacadone:

just went through her portfolio and wow. lowkey super proud of her & what she's accomplished. 

Posted

Woah, I'm impressed and kinda proud lol. I think she will have a great career in Japan cause she's pretty, adorable and definetly knows what she's doing. Damn, she's smart lol. I really really hope she won't forget youttube cause I still like her. :alpacasad:

Posted

Mei is so beautiful :alpacalove:

Posted

this is true! You really can't,  especially if everyone and anyone is speaking in that way, it's something you subconciously adopt even if you don't want too. For example, I went to California for Christmas break (about a month or so) and it only took a MONTH for me, someone from a completely different area, to start speaking as if I lived in California all my life. 

i started saying "like" and "um" and having that same questiony tone Mei has, not on purpose, I didn't even notice until I got back to my home state and people pointed it out, and despite being aware of this-- it still slips out sometimes. So i really don't think you can blame Mei for this. Even if she wanted to change it, I'm sure it'd take a LONG time since from my knowledge, she is surrounded by people who speak in a similar way and she has lived in CA all her life . 

I have lived in the Bay Area my whole life and I don't know anyone who talks like that. I wouldn't say "like" and "um" are a Cali thing, I'm pretty sure this is just how some younger people talk and don't know how to avoid it. If anything, people in NorCal say "hella" all the time. But she has lived in SoCal, which is probably why I've never encountered people who talk like her. 

Posted

I have lived in the Bay Area my whole life and I don't know anyone who talks like that. I wouldn't say "like" and "um" are a Cali thing, I'm pretty sure this is just how some younger people talk and don't know how to avoid it. If anything, people in NorCal say "hella" all the time. But she has lived in SoCal, which is probably why I've never encountered people who talk like her. 

Norcal and Socal are basically two different states though. Her type of accent is how people talk in Socal and around LA.

Posted

i've seen a lot of talk about mei's accent and that the reason for it being 'annoying' is that she's from the socal area but i honestly feel like it doesn't sound 100% american? has anyone noticed that or is it just me? :alpacadone:

i live in a country where most people have a strong to slight accent when speaking english but there's a lot of people who also speak 'proper english' and are considered to sound 'white' even though they were raised here. it's totally okay to have an accent, it's just a little unusual to me that mei sounds like the former since afaik she was brought up solely in america and doesn't speak cantonese or mandarin fluently.

Posted

i think what you’re used to hearing is the “standard” american accent? we have many accents here. haha

many asian americans (myself included) who live in socal have this “socal asian accent”. mei’s accent itself isn’t annoying but the way she inflects her words is.

Posted (edited)

many asian americans (myself included) who live in socal have this “socal asian accent”. mei’s accent itself isn’t annoying but the way she inflects her words is.

I was born and raised in Socal and I don't know a lot of people who sound like Mei and Olivya. it an SGV/upper-middle class Asian thing?

So they kinda, like, sound like they're always asking a questionnnn? And sound like the Valley Girl archetyyyype?

Edited by lilico

Posted

I was born and raised in Socal and I don't know a lot of people who sound like Mei and Olivya. it an SGV/upper-middle class Asian thing?

So they kinda, like, sound like they're always asking a questionnnn? And sound like the Valley Girl archetyyyype?

i think it might be an sgv thing then(?) haha. when i say “accent” i don’t mean the valley girl thing though. mei & olivya got that from each other and being around other people who talk like that (imo)

Posted

It's definitely a SGV thing. I live pretty close to Mei and even went to high school with some of her past close friends, including Zeal, and it's really just an area thing. It's not just an Asian thing though because I also speak like that and I'm not Asian and so do a lot of the other non-Asians in the area. Even if I do speak like that I have to agree that it can be very annoying and didn't come to realize how grating it was until I was around people that didn't speak like that. My family likes to make fun of me because I sound close to the typical valley girl and they don't because they were actually raised in the heart of LA. 

But it really is nice to see Mei flourishing how she is. She really is pretty and can pull off a lot of styles, so I wouldn't mind see her in more shoots and modelling for more brands. 

Posted

At the end, Mei speaks in Japanese and appears to understand what the others are saying.  Is she fluent in Japanese now?  

Posted

At the end, Mei speaks in Japanese and appears to understand what the others are saying.  Is she fluent in Japanese now?  

lol idk if you’re joking or serious but she’s only speaking one word sentences anyone (who has watched anime) would know. someone might have translated for her but i wouldn’t be surprised if she understands more than she speaks though..and to be fair her intonation is not bad when she says “何これ”. 

Posted

ngl i just watched her recent japan vlogs and actually really enjoyed them? i like the aesthetic & i'm glad she's getting shit done over there. though i do agree, i feel like her voice changed & it's more valley girl sometimes but idk. i'm kinda envious after watching her vlogs LOL.

Posted

lol idk if you’re joking or serious but she’s only speaking one word sentences anyone (who has watched anime) would know. someone might have translated for her but i wouldn’t be surprised if she understands more than she speaks though..and to be fair her intonation is not bad when she says “何これ”. 

The guy next to her says "You should see" when she's looking through her hands so they probably speak in english to her more often than not but japanese with each other, I do the same when there's a mix of native/foreign people in a given group. It's a seriously low bar for fluency if saying "What is this?" means you're fluent lmao