• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Eugenia Cooney

1497 posts in this topic

Posted

it makes me super curious what her lifestyle is like.. does she even have energy to go out?

the fact that she's so happy/bubbly while her body is just in a horrible/sad state is a literal juxtaposition

Posted (edited)

PewDiePie spoke about her a bit in his video at 15:45 (if anyone has seen the comments from his fans on her video)

I hope that it helps her but I don't know 

Of course not, the girl has a mental illness. If it was as easy as 'sending lots of love and support xoxo' to get someone to listen and seek help then mental illnesses wouldn't be a thing. I know he means well but I almost feel like it's.. belittling?

If anything I believe youtuber attention is potentially doing more harm than good as she thrives on it.

Edited by Couture

Posted

Didn't know about her until this meme turned up on insta: https://instagram.com/p/-ATH7UlKJA/

Some says she has a condition and can't gain weight, others say it's anorexia.

Food for thought?

i rather have her body than be like 136 pounds tbh

Posted

It’s nice to know other youtubers like pewds are worried and care about her well-being. I wonder if she’ll actually do something or just thrive off the attention she’s recieving from him and his subscribers. 

Posted

She seems less active on social media lately, perhaps she’s doing something about it.. weaning herself off slowly? Getting therapy?

Posted

I don't follow her, I feel like if I'd watch her videos I'd be giving her the attention she seeks and validate her behaviour to make it worse, but I find the topic interesting... how can someone so far gone into their own head be saved?

Does she know she's making her family and friends watch her die a slow death she caused herself? Does she care?
I've had friends with eating disorders and I never knew what to do about it.

Posted (edited)

Dunno what response you expect. Are you defending her refusal to get help?

I think without the conflict avoidance, she is not really functional. It's like she uses social skills to isolate herself and do the bare minimum for her relationships while faking her enthusiasm. She must suffer a lot of anxiety, but I haven't seen her admit something like that. She doesn't want to lose her connections, but maybe she doesn't think she deserves them?

I just looked at another study on EDs and I think this will give another perspective.

"Our results indicate that young women with chronically unfulfilled basic psychological needs might be vulnerable to developing disordered eating behaviours. The observed patterns suggest that persistent experience of need frustration may engender an internal sense of ineffectiveness and lack of control, which then compels individuals to engage in disordered eating behaviours in an attempt to regain autonomy and  competence. Interventions for eating disorders may be most effective when emphasizing the promotion of people’s needs for autonomy and competence."

This paragraph is vague, but of course intervention is going to be tricky...:alpacasad:

"Disordered eating is a phenomenon that is common in young women. Research suggests that up to 50% of the population regularly practices unhealthy weight control behaviours,including skipping meals, using food substitutes (powder or a special drink), and smoking more cigarettes (Kenardy, Brown, & Vogt, 2001; Neumark-Sztainer, Wall, Larson, Eisenberg,&Loth, 2011; Wharton, Adams,&Hampl, 2008)."

50% sounds about right to me...:alpacaworry:

"In particular, this theory outlines three universally important needs: autonomy, competence, and relatedness. The need for autonomy reflects the need to experience a sense of volition and choice in one’s activities. The need for competence involves the need to feel efficacious and capable of achieving desired outcomes. Finally, the need for relatedness refers to the need to feel cared for and connected to others (Ryan & Deci, 2002). Need satisfaction has been associated with psychological well-being, productivity, and social functioning (e.g., Vansteenkiste, Niemiec, & Soenens, 2010; for an overview). Conversely, need frustration has been found to predict diminished self-motivation and greater ill-being; in fact, need thwarting is implicated in the aetiology of many forms of psychopathology (Ryan, Deci, Grolnick, &La Guardia, 2006)."

Instead of seeing self-acceptance and self-esteem as important defenses, I think EC sees having them as a privilege she has to "earn".

"According to SDT, when basic psychological needs are thwarted, people develop defences and self-protective accommodations to cope with the associated psychological deficit (e.g., controlling regulatory styles, compensatory motives or need substitutes, and rigid behaviour patterns; Ryan, Sheldon, Kasser, & Deci, 1996). Although these strategies fail to satisfy the thwarted basic needs, they provide some collateral satisfaction." (SDT is Self-Determination Theory)

I think the 'collateral satisfaction' is like a high and gives the sufferer excitement that they become inevitably dependent on to ignore the chaos they feel around them. At the point where EC's life is saved and that emergency care leads to some kind of intervention, she needs to feel a sense of control amidst the inevitable chaos.

Maybe she blames her relationships for the chaos she is trying to ignore?

Edited by needsmorelensflare

Posted

On her channel deletion I don't think it should be deleted personally. It can be an outlet for her and removing that may not go well. On top of that she is not blatantly pro ana or telling anyone to starve, if people starve bc of her that is on them or their parents as they would have been triggered by something if not her if they are already considering starving themselves.

Posted

On her channel deletion I don't think it should be deleted personally. It can be an outlet for her and removing that may not go well. On top of that she is not blatantly pro ana or telling anyone to starve, if people starve bc of her that is on them or their parents as they would have been triggered by something if not her if they are already considering starving themselves.

I get that and I understand that point, where she isnt actively telling people to go be like her and starve themselves, but I also understand that it triggers/hurts people who are sensitive towards eating disorders or well...thin people, like eugenia. 

I do also agree that youtube is a good outlet for her to be creative, but I feel like it would just be better if she focused her creativity on something else to focus on her health. 

Posted

how do i delate this people are being rude..

Posted

Yes okay, but commenting that on the thread of a girl who is quite obviously dying is pretty stupid.

ik I'm stupid srsly do people have to keep shoving it in my face?

Posted

if you can't take anons criticizing you then you shouldn't be posting in the first place.

Posted

I think she is a special case. It is reasonable that everyone is surprised by her current states because at her stage in the illness she would be expected to look much sicker if not simply have died already. She thinks herself to be a model, which is very problematic. I can see young girls look at her and think "what if I could get 'that far'", because how many women can refuse help to this extent and still work, let alone be seen as professional? She is making money on her image and looks that are the result of self-harm. Even more importantly, she LIES saying that she is HEALTHY.

So what do they learn by coming across this 'youtuber'? She's 'made it this far' without dying, she's a ~model~ and she will NEVER admit she is sick, dying or struggling from an eating disorder because that would take her a small step towards recovery. She is not only proudly getting this 'collateral satisfaction' out of self-harm that only feels more satisfying when people focus on her image and ignore her suffering, but she is also proud of refusing help to such a degree that she will lie with ease til the day she dies.

but I learned that if you don't speak up no one will know what you're feeling

Anyone can air grievances in a public forum for attention, so the question is are you getting or seeking professional help? Even on public forums created for people to air grievances about their disabilities or illness have to consider the chance of getting very negative or hostile responses sometimes. Don't assume people have sympathy to give. If you aren't actively seeking professional help, you need to seek people that will encourage you to do that and public forums aren't often the place for that.