• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Eugenia Cooney

1693 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyway, if there's really people out there who decides to look like her, it's not her fault ¬¬ She isn't doing anything wrong or illegal so far. It's her life.

I do find it a little bit of a problem only that she doesn't say anything to the little girls who tweet/comment things like "I'm going to starve myself to look like Eugenia". She knows about them and even talked about it on younow but it almost sounds like she enjoys it because she doesn't say it's bad and she doesn't tell them to stop. :alpacaworry2: Like in every other way she seems nice. 

Posted (edited)

I do find it a little bit of a problem only that she doesn't say anything to the little girls who tweet/comment things like "I'm going to starve myself to look like Eugenia". She knows about them and even talked about it on younow but it almost sounds like she enjoys it because she doesn't say it's bad and she doesn't tell them to stop. :alpacaworry2: Like in every other way she seems nice. 

Maybe she doesn't think there's a problem with that ? She doesn't think that her own situation is an issue, so it's not hard to believe that she doesn't mind anyone doing the same thing as her. Yes it's not okay, yes i would like to see her do a video about(a proper one), but bullying her about it is just not right, no matter what. It's not like she explicitly said to people to starve themselves.

And anyway, wouldn't that be hypocritical of her to say to others what to do ??

Edited by Superboy

Posted

No one should expect her to babysit, especially if she can't see the problem herself. It's like a blind man leading a blind man through oncoming traffic. She can't be blamed for not saying yes/no when she herself possibly has the same problem.

Posted

Things got wild on younow. Eugenia doesn't say much so we can only read body language but when the girl refers to both of them having eating disorders I feel like eugenia accepts it as true 

Posted (edited)

Wow. Dr Phil producers contacted Eugenia to come on his show, as he recently had two anorexic sisters on his show. Can't link anything but search up the Blargh Report Dr Phil, I think you guys wills find it. Honestly, this is getting embarrassing on Eugenia's part. 

I'm torn on this, some form of help would be great but Dr. Phil is a terrible psychologist/whatever his official title is.

~~

She's dug herself into a very deep hole, she may even know that she has a problem. But if she's been starving herself for so long, her eating disorder could be comforing to her. Like, it's something that she can control. (Hypothetically speaking, we have no professional medical diagnosis that's been made public.) 

Edited by Mista Joestar

Posted

Things got wild on younow. Eugenia doesn't say much so we can only read body language but when the girl refers to both of them having eating disorders I feel like eugenia accepts it as true 

why does Eugenia seem so out of it? Seems like how I act after I smoke weed. Tired, quiet, smiley.

Posted (edited)

Eugenia, this whole situation has been bothering me for a couple of reasons, and this is why;

So, there's two options here and that is she either does, or doesn't have an eating disorder, and I worry for her about either one.

Lets agree with her for a moment and say she has no problem, she's always looked that way. It's possible, she's a very tall girl and i'm certain that 90 or 100 pounds would look different on her than it would on say a girl that's 5 feet tall. (a little OT but there's a condition called Marfan syndrome.that makes the arms, hands, legs, torso etc. much more elongated than usual) maybe she has some sort of birth condition like this (or maybe it's in her genes) and just isn't telling people, if that's the situation she needs to clear up the fact that she doesn't have an eating disorder, and explain what really is happening with decent proof to show her fans that she is indeed not sick like she claims. I'm not saying that shes forced to put her private issues public for no reason by any means, but when she's legitimately a topic people are looking up to on a website called MyProAna, you'd think she'd want to explain herself a little. She obviously has a family, she makes videos with other Youtubers, she's interactive with her fans, and none of them give her boo about being unhealthy, you figure if someone cared about a person who was sick they'd do something, right? (for example contact a doctor, have a talk among the people who care, or go see Dr. Phil considering he contacted her.)  so maybe she is truly born that way, but you'd think if she was there'd be less "save Eugenia Cooney" videos on Youtube from concerned bystanders and more people stepping aside to defend her truth. Which brings us to what we're all thinking, maybe she's lying and she really has a disorder.

Lets say she does have anorexia, and is constantly brushing it off when asked about as if she doesn't. If that's the situation then she's in serious denial, and is not only toxic to herself but the thousands of people on Youtube that look up to her. If her viewers are under the impression that she has an ED ( which clearly according to this horrible website,they are) they might even be looking up to her for the way she pushes it under the fucking rug like there's absolutely nothing unusual. Her constant claims that she has always been very thin in a situation where she has an ED is very unhealthy for not only her own mental and physical condition, but her viewers as well. Denial is a huge part of the problem and at this point she's promoting it. There are countless videos made on Youtube about people worried about Eugenia and honestly it's just dragging more people to her channel and nothing more. It clearly isn't getting through to her, considering she nonchalantly talked about being contacted by fucking Dr. Phil as if all these claims about an eating disorder didn't exist and the phonecall came out of nowhere. All these views are bad for her if an ED is what she has, because she's more than likely getting comfort in her followers despite the weight struggles she may be facing, and if that's the case with the way she carries herself as if its nothing, the harsh reality is she needs to get off of Youtube and into a clinic before it's fatal. It's only a matter of time before her followers will support her into starving herself (and possibly even themselves) to sickness or death whether they may mean to or not. All of her thumbnails of her half dressed with her ribs out, all of these "save Eugenia Cooney" videos, and all of this denial in one direction or the other is harming people at the end of the day no doubt, whether it be Eugenia herself or the people looking up to her as a Pro Anorexia topic...:alpacamad:

sorry this is a read and a half but that's my 2 cents on this girl, either way

Kiki-Falls-Unto-The-Bed-Tired-In-Kikis-Delivery-Service-Gif.gif

Edited by Magical
typo

Posted

Here is another younow video by this guy who says hes eugenias friend irl and on youtube. At first it sounds like hes implying its not an eating disorder but in the end it seems like it is? Idk, either way i thought it was interesting

Posted

No armchair diagnostics because I mentioned aspergers? Yet most people in here are diagnosing her with various eating disorders...

I don't believe it 100% but I do think its plausible, the way she acts seems very naive for somebody of her age. But then again, like a lot of youtubers, she may just be trying to stay age appropriate because of her audience. I just find it odd that she doesn't really seem to react to the constant weight comments. She just comes across sort of simple. And her makeup is strange to me too...if you look at other 'emos' her age, they're applying their makeup neatly and it looks like they've perfected it over the years. Eugenia just kind of puts on random dark colours, and her makeup barely seems to differ from her 'how i did my makeup in high school' video to now. I've noticed the same thing in Marina Joyce, just smears of glitter on her eyes (although with Marina theres a pretty noticeable 'shift' in her personality).

I agree she may. A big part of asburgers / atisum is being socially akward and stunts your maturity. 

Posted

She needs an intervention, and as much as I watch and love Dr Phil, thats not the best route. Wow, people must be concerned if even a major network show has heard about it. 

Does the girl know ?

Posted (edited)

An article from yahoo.com about banning Eugenia Cooney from Youtube: https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/should-this-severely-anorexic-woman-be-banned-from-vlogging-180237727.html 

Here's the transcript for anyone who doesn't want to click the link:

Should This Severely Anorexic Woman Be Banned From Vlogging?

Devon Kelley

Assistant Beauty Editor
October 26, 2016

Popular YouTuber Eugenia Cooney is under fire for the negative influence that she poses to her nearly 900,000 subscribers. A Change.org petition calls for Cooney to be temporarily banned from YouTube because her thinness is “triggering her fan base.” The petition has more than 11,100 signatures and seeks 15,000 before proposing the ban to Google. “She may not be intentionally influencing her viewers, but showing more than 50% of her body in her videos and pictures [is] not helping girls with Anorexia or any eating disorder,” the petition reads.

Cooney is severely underweight and, according to the Change.org petition, her fan base consists of primarily 12 to 21 year olds, an age group that is particularly vulnerable to the images that she puts online. Cooney denies having an eating disorder and insists that she doesn’t understand how she could be influencing her followers. “Some people are saying I’m a ‘bad influence on girls’ and I just want you guys to know that I’ve never tried to be a bad influence on YouTube. I would never want to do that,” she said in a video. “I would never tell anybody to try to lose weight, or to try to change the way they look, or to look like me or anything like that. I would never tell anybody to do that because I just think that everybody should be themselves and do what makes them happy and be happy with themselves.”

Still, says Erin Hillard, program manager of the University of Notre Dame’s Body Image and Eating Disorder Lab, “Even though she may not be deliberately promoting her lifestyle as achievable or even desirable, it’s hard to deny that younger audiences do seek to emulate YouTube celebrities, whether or not that is the YouTuber’s intent.”

Further, she told Yahoo Beauty. “We know that media images have the power to influence girls’ eating behaviors and feelings about their body, and it does seem as though YouTube is more and more becoming another form of media that pushes products and lifestyles on young girls. I think it’s reasonable to be concerned that viewing her channel could have a negative impact on girls who may already be struggling with body image issues. The life of a YouTube celebrity is often presented as very glamorous and fabulous, and young girls may look up to that and think that Eugenia’s appearance is something they should be striving for to achieve her level of success.”

Unfortunately, Eugenia’s following thrives on images of her emaciated body. Photos and videos evidence Cooney’s declining weight — but as her weight drops, her following grows, and she has gained more than 200,000 subscribers in the last three months. The thumbnails on Eugenia’s most popular videos feature images of her thin body, and fans seem to come to her page for the shock value. Eugenia likely knows this, giving her videos stirring titles like, “I’m not dead” with a thumbnail view of her body, and “How to ratchetly twerk,” with her extremely thin frame on full view. For Eugenia, gaining weight would likely mean the decline of her YouTube following.

Screen_Shot_2016-10-27_at_5.11.10_PM.thu

Still, she insists that she is healthy. “I’m just kind of naturally like that, I guess,” Cooney said in a video. “I’m fine.”

And while Eugenia may not understand her impact on viewers, it appears as if people with eating disorders are definitely influenced by her. As one person on a forum dedicated to eating disorders wrote, “What BMI could she be at?… I’m just so curious. I have new motivation at last. Excuse me for a couple of weeks while I stare at this girl in complete awe and remind myself that I have to stop being such a fat f*ck.”

Hillard agrees that Cooney’s image could be triggering. “I think it’s unlikely that Eugenia’s YouTube channel alone would push someone with no body image problems into disordered eating behavior, but young girls encounter multiple societal pressures regularly. Limiting those pressures where we can, I think, is a beneficial thing,” she says. “In reading some of the comments on the petition from concerned parents who have indicated that their young girls have engaged in disordered eating habits as a result of watching Eugenia Cooney’s YouTube, I do think the removal of her channel is something that Google should seriously consider.”

Some tweets from Eugenia about the article:

Screen_Shot_2016-10-27_at_5.16.29_PM.thu

Screen_Shot_2016-10-27_at_5.18.07_PM.thu

Edited by Spooky Moon
adding tweets for the hell of it

Posted

This whole issue has me so torn. Is she triggering to ED prone youth? Yes, obviously. But she also seems like a pretty nice person who likes making videos and shouldn't be restricted because of how she looks or what she struggles with privately. I personally believe she is anorexic but isn't intentionally using that to get attention.

Her videos are clearly important and cathartic to her and she deserves that outlet... but inevitably her image is hurting others. However, pictures of her emaciated frame will continue to circulate the web regardless if she is active online.

Gah. No right answer for me here.

Posted

I think the main issue is that she never addresses her weight/eating disorder/illness at all.

On the one hand it is wrong for so many people to call her out like they have and I can only assume it's just making it worse for her, hence why she's just saying she's fine and would never dream of giving people the wrong impression... but I can totally understand why they are trying to reach out.

On the other hand I understand that her denial is probably part of her eating disorder, but to others it might look like she is totally oblivious. She either does not want to discuss her eating disorder and/or recovery publicly or has not got to the stage where she can accept she has a problem.

I believe her videos are cathartic to her, but to be honest if she didn't think she had a problem a month ago, she probably does now and I just hope the drama doesn't make it worse for her.

Posted

I just think it is completely wrong to ban someone just for their looks. It goes totally against my understanding of human rights.

Because what will be next, if we create a case where it is "okay" to do that? Do not allow certain people to leave the house because someone could see them and feel triggered? Or start banning other people that could be categorized "triggering" to someone, in what ever way? This would be so wrong that I'm cringing typing this. This would be a dangerous route to go....

Posted (edited)

I don't understand the logic of contending that she's encouraging other people to be super thin or in a general sense that she encourages negative habits. What about obese people? What about that boogie guy? Is he encouraging everyone to be obese too? Does he normalize obesity? Or is this case distinguishable because thinness is a social ideal? In any case, I don't think the average girl looks at Eugenia and says oh #goalz unless they are already deep into their own eating disorders. 

Edited by Disperse