• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

General "non Asians pretending to be Asian" thread

3531 posts in this topic

Posted

🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Screenshot_20190302-184517_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20190302-184529_Facebook.jpg

she said “the korean” referring to the father, then immediately afterwards said that she’s half korean? i’m 99% sure jasmine has no idea how genetics work...

hashtAg ulzzAnG hAshtAg koReaN

BF38E599-DBB0-4BE5-87A6-7E83D456568D.jpeg

969DF8D2-F28A-4610-A427-4B58B460B913.jpeg

BFBC21A1-E2B7-48C4-8C4A-A987096E4E05.jpeg

OH GOD NO I’M FROM THE SAME STATE AS THEM I MIGHT HAVE TO FLEE THE COUNTRY

Posted

It's obvious that he/she needs that attention...:happee:even if they say otherwise

Going crazy so we can start talking about them again. Mmmhm good tactic

yea I was like why not throw the dog a bone?

I'm honestly so confused at this point what he is claiming to be.

So his mother is Hawaiian and Japanese? But he's claimed she's black-Asian at one point, and at another point Hawaiian + Japanese + German? Then his father is Korean, but if his mother is Hawaiian-Japanese, then his father is German and Korean??

None of this adds up... there is way too many contradicting statements wtf

Probably to correct his old mistakes, maybe he'll learn to be more consistent...as for jasmine I don't see that happening any time soon

Just my personal opinion, Ive seen hella half white/half asian babies, and particularly where I live, half korean...that looks like a 100% white baby if anything jinee looks very german to me ....but again this is all my opinion.

Posted

Just my personal opinion, Ive seen hella half white/half asian babies, and particularly where I live, half korean...that looks like a 100% white baby if anything jinee looks very german to me ....but again this is all my opinion.

yeah I agree I'm German and both my cousin and my uncle had eyes like that as a kid. He likes like so many people here. He pro ably thinks that people see Germany as the country of blonde people with blue eyes that's why he thinks he can just lie on the internet like that

Posted

Somewhat OT about people giving themselves "Asian names"

Hidden Content

When I lived in Korea my Korean teachers encouraged me to use a Korean name, and Korean people would ask me if I had a Korean name, so in the end I just picked one that sounded okay and my friends said it suited me. Korean people couldn't pronounce my real name because of the 'th' in it, and the way they said it made it sound like something silly which made them laugh...I don't think it is wrong to take a name that makes everyone more comfortable.

I do think it's weird that people also give themselves a last name though. That seems unnecessary.

Posted

Some of these people have small eyes/hooded eyes/monolids and just go on with their lives pretending to be Asian or half Asian. Then when they get called out on it, they go on this long embarrassing made up/mental gymnastic Instagram Story rant about how they are not lying. Imagine wanting to feel "special" this bad?? But it's not just them to blame, I have to side-eye people in general, because being Asian shouldn't be something that can grant you so much "clout" on social media. 

This thread is entertaining, but makes you realize how sad the world or koreaboos has gotten lol.

Posted

Is it normal for Korean people to give themselves English names if they move to an english speaking country? More than half of the Korean people I know have kept their Korean names and I think they're very pretty. I completely agree that koreaboos not living in Korea that give themselves english names are being disrespectful to Korean culture and overlooking the meaning and history behind Korean names

Posted (edited)

Somewhat OT about people giving themselves "Asian names"

Hidden Content

this is kinda dumb but please help me out here

if someones given a korean name but they feel uncomfortable with using it is that bad? maybe its bc ive seen so many posts about non asians using asian names w/o understanding the meaning that ive become anxious to embrace something thats pretty much a gift ? :alpacadone: i just dont know what to do because i feel bad if i use the korean name given to me but i also feel bad if i dont use it (specifically while in korea with my teacher who gave it to me (not a traditional teacher it was an academy camp thing) and if i should use it with other people i meet? :alpacaworry:) i dont want to be seen as a kboo but i also dont want to be rude and i have to anglo-fy my name for the u.s. and idk maybe im just a dumbass

Edited by alzkdpf

Posted

Is it normal for Korean people to give themselves English names if they move to an english speaking country? More than half of the Korean people I know have kept their Korean names and I think they're very pretty. I completely agree that koreaboos not living in Korea that give themselves english names are being disrespectful to Korean culture and overlooking the meaning and history behind Korean names

I can only speak based on my experience and my observations. Nowadays, I don't see many Koreans immigrating to English speaking countries adopting Anglo names. I can only assume that this is due to kpop and kdramas becoming more internationally recognized and people become more familiar with Korean names, so Koreans do not feel the need to have Anglo names replace their own.

Even back ~20 years ago, when I had the opportunity to study abroad in England as a 1st grader, I was pressured to have an English name, because my Korean name was "too hard to pronounce," when in reality, they just didn't care enough to learn and teach correct pronunciation to fellow teachers and school mates. This led to me having a great complex over my name, and I only grew to love my Korean name a few years ago. Like so, some Koreans may feel the pressure to have Anglo names. Honestly, romanized Korean words/names can be hard to distinguish and pronounce if you are not familiar with the Korean language.

I notice that Koreans who are born in American are usually given American names on official papers, but have more traditional Korean names just in the household. I also notice Koreans adopting Anglo names that sound similar to their Korean names just to make pronunciation easier (e.g. 예림 Yaerim > Leslie).

Also, it doesn't help that in Western media, the most popular Korean actors have English names. Ken Jeong? Sandra Oh? Go through this list of notable Korean-Americans, and just note how many of these people have adopted English names. It's personally not very encouraging to see that to be well known and referenced, a common trait is to have an Anglo name.

I don't think I answered your question at all lol But in my experience, it is common to adopt Anglo names as much as it is to keep your Korean one.

Hidden Content

Again, I'm only speaking for myself and not all Koreans out there.

I think that if you are given a Korean name by your Korean friends, then within your friend group, don't be afraid to use it. I personally think in the case where a non-Korean receives a Korean name, usually its for aesthetic & friendship purposes. Somewhat like, hey! I see you appreciating and trying to learn my culture. By having a Korean name, hopefully you can try and learn and enjoy my culture to the fullest! Usually Korean names given out to foreigners don't have a specific Hanja meaning, unless you ask, and may not be pure Korean names. You should be comfortable with using your Korean name around the group of friends who gave it to you.

However, if you are a non-Korean meeting someone new, and your name is Susan for example, and the person greets, "Hi, Susan!" And if you answer, "Oh, my name is AcTuaLLy Seonmi," then I think you are 100% an asshole.

Posted

Hidden Content

My mom was in a similar position when she immigrated. She took an English when she arrived and the teacher gave her an English name to use, but it never went beyond the classroom for her as she wasn't really looking for a new name and literally 0 thought went into it. I think it just depends on whether you want to use the name or not and whether or not you feel comfortable using the name that was given to you.