• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

General "non Asians pretending to be Asian" thread

3095 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Kinda (?) Ot but can this thread be used for general racefakers? It'd be sorta redundant to make a new thread dedicated to every race tbh and there's been quite a surge of race fakers with large followings on ig

Edited by Bobobo
Sp

Posted

@/playgirlcarti !

yikes. Asian girls like her makes me cringe. Her pictures without filters and less makeup makes her look like those old divorced ladies that hit up the club every weekend 

Posted

Also sort of OT but does anyone else feel like racefakers autotmatically deserve to be put in the little snowflakes section?? I mean if the general chinese photoshoppers are on there for just photoshopping these people deserve it it infinitely more imo. Racefaking falls under lying and scamming so...

Posted

Also sort of OT but does anyone else feel like racefakers autotmatically deserve to be put in the little snowflakes section?? I mean if the general chinese photoshoppers are on there for just photoshopping these people deserve it it infinitely more imo. Racefaking falls under lying and scamming so...

I would say that Chinese photoshoppers are less deserving of the snowflake title. When you consider the fact that the vast majority of race fakers are white (holding privilege) and faking being a race they have historically belittled and subjected based on appearance, it changes the story. This is especially true when they are profitting from their race fakery (and thus taking profit away from POC who already have a hard enough time breaking into mainstream entertainment while still maintaining creative control). It's basically saying "your race is more palatable when mimicked by someone else".

Posted

I'm not 100% sure if it's legit but I think scarebrat made a new IG.

image1 (1).png

image2.png

image3.png

Posted (edited)

I'm not 100% sure if it's legit but I think scarebrat made a new IG.

image1 (1).png

image2.png

image3.png

oh yes, you’re the victim and everyone else is the one who’s wrong and messed up 🤔

Edited by Bubbletea
deleted double quote

Posted (edited)

It's probably a fake account just using her name and this issue for follows. Don't bash whatever this account says unless we are sure it's actually her, but I doubt it. 

EDIT: confirmed by an alleged friend on a post from that account.

20181109_122908.jpg

Edited by TinyBubblez
Updating infooooo

Posted

I would say that Chinese photoshoppers are less deserving of the snowflake title. When you consider the fact that the vast majority of race fakers are white (holding privilege) and faking being a race they have historically belittled and subjected based on appearance, it changes the story. This is especially true when they are profitting from their race fakery (and thus taking profit away from POC who already have a hard enough time breaking into mainstream entertainment while still maintaining creative control). It's basically saying "your race is more palatable when mimicked by someone else".

my point exactly thank you!!

Posted (edited)

Okay. I agree that race-fakers who are white are coming from a "more malicious" place than race-fakers who are POC, but I feel like this is kind of implying that race-faking when you're a POC is not that bad.

This girl is not Blasian. Considering how Blasians are treated, especially in contrast to Eurasians and full Asians, this is still pretty bad. Especially if she's taking opportunities or getting recognized more than actual Blasian women. 

Edited by ZapGold

Posted (edited)

Ignore this accidental double post

Edited by ZapGold

Posted

Okay. I agree that race-fakers who are white are coming from a more malicious place than race-fakers who are POC, but I feel like this is kind of implying that race-faking when you're a POC is not that bad.

This girl is not Blasian. Considering how Blasians are treated, especially in contrast to Eurasians and full Asians, this is still pretty bad. Especially if she's taking opportunities or getting recognized more than actual Blasian women. 

That is not what I was trying to imply. I was trying to say general photoshop fakery is not as bad as race fakery, especially when the race faker is white. Race-faking is just not okay. I'm also going to upvote you once my reputation refreshes because this is important. 

Posted (edited)

Okay. I agree that race-fakers who are white are coming from a more malicious place than race-fakers who are POC, but I feel like this is kind of implying that race-faking when you're a POC is not that bad.

Image result for question mark meme

Okay, let me get this straight. White people, even those who have never bullied Asians for their appearance, but find their features attractive, are coming from a malicious place when they mimic Asian features.. but East Asian people, who have never bullied blacks for their appearance, but mimic the features of black/blasian people are not "coming from a more malicious place."

How can you say that when East Asian culture generally looks down upon those with darker skin (though does not have a history of enslaving those with darker skin, but still has incidences of things like blackface)?

I really don't think I should even have to get into the specifics here. How are white people who have never criticized the appearance of POC in their lives, but simply find their features attractive, coming from a more malicious place than people of POC who mimic features typically found on another race because they find them attractive.

I am really trying to understand your logic. Please elaborate?

edit; "Thread is being derailed!!" Comments incoming because 'yall can't handle opinions that do not agree with those of social justice warriors!

Edited by Idc0494

Posted

Image result for question mark meme

Okay, let me get this straight. White people, even those who have never bullied Asians for their appearance, but find their features attractive, are coming from a malicious place when they mimic Asian features.. but East Asian people, who have never bullied blacks for their appearance, but mimic the features of black/blasian people are not "coming from a more malicious place."

How can you say that when East Asian culture generally looks down upon those with darker skin (though does not have a history of enslaving those with darker skin, but still has incidences of things like blackface)?

I really don't think I should even have to get into the specifics here. How are white people who have never criticized the appearance of POC in their lives, but simply find their features attractive, coming from a more malicious place than people of POC who mimic features typically found on another race because they find them attractive.

I am really trying to understand your logic. Please elaborate?

edit; "Thread is being derailed!!" Comments incoming because 'yall can't handle opinions that do not agree with those of social justice warriors!

white people who are minding their own business don't have to worry about being spotted in a race fakers thread but let's just for the sake of your ridiculous, absurd, and frankly obtuse argument pretend that white people in blackface and yellowface aren't coming from a malicious place. In your imaginary world where constructs of modern beauty ideals haven't revolved around europeanized standards (if you don't know what that means google is a free search engine which you could have actually used to find answers to your dumbass questions) where POC haven't been pushed into surgeries, skin bleaching, hair damage, mockery for their natural features, mockery (and systemic violence) of their culture and everything they are, lower wages and job opportunities compared to their white counterparts, and demonization of their heritage, at the end of the day these white racefakers get to rejoice in poc community for meeting poc beauty ideals, which may seem wonderful to a lonely internet goblin white girl, but then she gets to take it off for the real world. When people are mocking poc culture the white woman in yellowface or blackface gets to fall back in the comfort of whiteness. When the white woman puts on her skin tan or blurs out her eye crease she's delighting in the small splendors that POC have worked feverhently to be even allowed to be proud of. The white woman was never scared for her life when a car full of white men screamed the N word at her in passing, her body never shook with nasueating anxiety as she handed a police officer her license after being pulled over, praying to god that this wouldn't become her final moment on earth, she never watched her peers pull their eyes back at her and mock her face, she isn't treated like a criminal for her religion, for her appearance, for her language, she doesn't have to worry about the hard right coming for her, about being deported- or worse. she isn't followed around in every store she enters, she isn't "ghetto", she hasn't had to sit through heart shattering stories from her family members who remember the day they were ripped from their own homes, their own families, whose screams and begs for mercy on their life went unheard by the white soldier just doing his job, directed by the white presidents who put a hit on their skin color, whose white women voted these people into power and turned their heads away from the violence and pursecution POC faced and still face today just for wanting to be seen as a fellow human being. Why is it more wrong when a white person, even if they've never been malicious towards POC as an individual, pretends to be a POC for instagram likes? Because for white people it's a costume. Because it is a direct mockery. Because I don't get to take off my skin color when I'm done taking selfies. Because we don't get to be white when the camera is off. Because outside of instagram being POC is a crime. 

Colorism in POC communities is a seperate issue, but at the end of the day a racefaking poc is still a poc battling with the struggles of being such. 

Also I love how you were already getting defensive despite no one responding to you yet. "Social justice warriors" isn't an argument it just proves your ignorance, arrogance, and lack of understanding that being made into a day costume isn't flattering in the least. 

Posted

Spoilered because I may be wrong and I'm not sure that this is what they meant

I think they mean that due to historical incidences (such as slavery, police brutality, theft, general mistreatment) it's more... taboo (I think is the word?) or offensive when people who are caucasian pretend to be another race rather than someone who is not caucasian? Like it's not that their intent is more malicious and it's not that the person you replied to is ignoring the racism from POC to other POC but maybe it stings more because of all the HUGE stuff that caucasian people did to people that are of the races they are imitating? (Like more than just making fun of them and treating them as caricatures, they enslaved them among other things.) I don't know if any of this makes sense and I don't know if this is what the person you were replying to meant. 

What I'm trying to say is that maybe they mean that even if the intent by caucasian people isn't more malicious, the impact is automatically more malicious because of historical context? (I don't know if historical context makes sense the way I used it, sorry.) 

I also think that they mean that BOTH are bad, but when a caucasian person does it it's received worse because of the past acts by people of their race.

Basically I don't think they mean that it isn't malicious when POC do it, but generally it doesn't for example gain as much attention/outrage as when a caucasian does for aforementioned reasons. It's not that POC get a pass. It's that to most people it stings more when caucasian people do it because of the past (even some recent, like again police brutality which is usually from caucasian people.) Even though the people who are caucasian and are imitating POC aren't necessarily the ones who are personally commiting acts of police brutality and don't personally have slaves, just the fact that they're the same race as people who did and do is what makes the impact worse. It's almost like they're kind of... spitting on the other races by "wearing them"(if that makes sense) in order to become popular (instead of people who are actually that race) on top of all the racism by their ancestors whereas for other races they don't have the same exact history of racism as caucasian people so it isn't as... salt-on-the-wound-y(?)

I can see what you are saying though and yes, racefaking is very hurtful regardless of the race of the person who is faking, but this is just why I think it may be more hurtful to some when a caucasian person does it as opposed to a POC.