• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

General "non Asians pretending to be Asian" thread

3925 posts in this topic

Posted

Kinda ot 

What do you guys think of Asians who fake having white in them for attention and to feel special? Basically they are same as the fake asians 

Gina Tran aka Gina Darling claims to be Russian and Vietnamese when she's 100% viet, there was also that asian girl in snow who lied about being half icelandic. Screenshot_2018-02-06-19-57-46-1.thumb.p

_dawn-yang2-1356506538.thumb.jpg.5a2e5d2Dawn Yang is a Chinese Singapore based blogger, when asked about her plastic surgeries she claimed being half dutch but her past pics prove she is obviously asian 

Didn't Michelle Phan try to claim she was mix with some white at some point?? She even changed the pronounciation of her last name Phan (Fan) to Fawn which sounds more white.michelle-phan.thumb.png.5a52624f0ca79ee7also it seems she's trying to look more white with all those cosmetic procedures, I thought she had that asian pride self love thing going? 

the asian equivalent of the white asian fake are circle lenses, heavy makeup, some plastic surgery "I'm a half white" or "1/4 white."

I’m not gonna touch the “plastic surgery to look white” part. But it’s pretty common for Asians to do this to seem more “exotic”, I suppose. If I had a dollar for every time I heard a Filipino claim to be half Spanish or a Viet claim to be part French...

By the way, you can definitely be Eurasian! I’m just saying there are people who lie about it or exaggerate it.

Idk the other girl but I remember Gina saying that her great grandfather was Russian. I know she’s at least Chinese-Viet

Posted

iirc Gina hasn't claimed to Only being Russian and Viet.  She has admitted to being Chinese-Viet and that her family believed that somewhere in her bloodline that she must have had French in her but weren't too sure.  She doesn't rlly brag about it like these people do to seem "uwu special and exotic" but just as interesting fact.

She talks about it in her "25 facts about me" and in her fb post "although a small fraction, still neat"

Posted (edited)

Edited by *

Posted

Guys I got some shitScreen_Shot_2018-01-31_at_21.21.32.thumb

Screen_Shot_2018-02-05_at_12.46.21_AM.th

Implying that that's his mom

Screen_Shot_2018-02-05_at_8.09.45_PM.thuScreen_Shot_2018-02-05_at_8.14.13_PM.thu When the lies caught up to you so you have to make more lies

Screen_Shot_2018-02-05_at_8.19.31_PM.thu After that, he changed his caption

Kyle playing victim when he gets attacked after he starts some shit how original

Posted

With Gina, I believe at one point she thought she was part French but apparently her Grandma said that she was part Russian. I think she did mention she had some Chinese mixed in there but I think she identifies herself as Vietnamese. She actually does a few skits about being Vietnamese so I don't think she's milking that droplet of European blood as much as others do, if at all. 

I have a "friend" we can call her, that claims she has some sort of European relatives (grandparents) but insists on including those halfie/eurasian tags on her IG pictures. She pretty much is full Vietnamese. (OT: She also then claims she's Chinese when it suits her lol and will spout out random Cantonese sometimes - most likely picked up from her ex boyfriend whose family is from HK). There's just something about claiming a ethnicity/heritage that isn't yours(?) that makes me angry. 

It's sickening to see just pure vanilla white people make random claims to be Asian especially because they never have to face the kind of discrimination that Asians have to deal with just because we look Asian. Ahh, the benefits of white privilege. 

Posted (edited)

@lulurie 

that's not proof if your family thinks decades ago you had a great white uncle or aunt, I don't believe Gina being a lil white

even if she was 5% that's nothing and that doesn't count

even Gina can't get the story right. I think she should drop the whole "I could be a little bit european" thing to embracing her own race 

Edited by Lurker2

Posted (edited)

i've seen a lot of asian makeup gurus making videos on youtube that are along the lines of "hafu makeup" "mixed girl makeup" which is still pretty cringe.

I think a lot of that comes from the fact (at least in Japan) that so many models, singers, "talents" are half-Caucasian and very pretty. So a lot of people probably think that half-Caucasian = pretty, having only the "good" Caucasian features, such as a double-lid, light skin, large eyes, seeming pretty and a bit exotic without being too exotic. 

They don't realize that not every haafu automatically turns out pretty or even really looking that exotic / (kind of) "white". 

EDIT: BTW, regarding the DNA tests, I find those pretty interesting, especially because they can also show that you are NOT automatically 50/50 when your parents are from 2 ethnicities. Cassey Ho from Blogilates and her sister showed their results on YouTube and while they are sisters with the same parents, they had a different percentage in their ethnicities.

Edited by Sakamoto

Posted

I’m definitely over the self-hating Asians that lie about their ethnicity wave.

Gina looks 100% viet, and so did Michelle Phan before her surgeries. It’s just really disappointing that these grown ass women with young, primarily asian fan bases will lie about themselves in order to make themselves look more interesting all the while saying that it’s not ok to be 100% of something. I get it, being a poc is hard but get over it? They’re supposed to be role models but apparently the only way to love yourself is to fully submit to internalized racism. 

(Sorry for rant).

Posted

It's not even internalized racism with all of these cases though. Some of them want to appear more interesting and international, just like those white/black people pretending to be half. I've known a lot of snowflake-y Koreans in Korea who even pretend to be Korean-American because they want to standout be be 'speshul'. Snowflakes be snowflakin' for stupid reasons no matter where you go.

Posted

It's not even internalized racism with all of these cases though. Some of them want to appear more interesting and international, just like those white/black people pretending to be half. I've known a lot of snowflake-y Koreans in Korea who even pretend to be Korean-American because they want to standout be be 'speshul'. Snowflakes be snowflakin' for stupid reasons no matter where you go.

Never seen that before, I can't imagine a native korean pretending to be korean american. Koreans in korea look down on korean americans or patronize them. 

Posted

There was/is a make up style trend in Japan called Haafu make up and Mixed blood make up in Korea. I remember when Venus made the Halfu make up tutorial and all where shitting on her while completely ignoring the fact that Japan literally made a make up trend out of a race. Even though that trend has been dying down it's kind of sad to see that nobody really cared about it, but they'll all be flipping tables when they see a white chick with some gradient lips and see-through bangs...

I am in no way condoning the behavior of fake Asian mixed kids and makeup trends, but I think this kind of ties in to what the other users were saying above about it having a lot to do with European features being looked at much more positively than Asian features.

The reason why a lot of people get mad when Non Asians lie about their background and do mixed makeup is cause they do it for "fun" or to fit in with the "trend" since them doing stuff like this does nothing as there's no special "beauty standard" they are trying to meet.

It may be that some Asians do it for shits and giggles, but I'm pretty sure most do stuff like this to feel beautiful since it's what society wants and likes.

(Notice how all these mixed fakers and mixed makeup tutorials all revolve around being/looking Caucasian as opposed to other races.)